simicrintz

XR650L versus 500 EXC-F

Congrats on the new machine!

If you can toss around that 650 you'll do fine on the orange princess. 

Thank you!  It has been (is) a learning experience, but I am enjoying it.  I took it out to Corral Canyon last weekend and then again to Ocotillo this past Saturday for a quick day trip.  It does not "tractor" through like the XR does but is so much easier to manage (and pick up when I fall, which I did 4 times in Corral Canyon 😡). Did about 70 miles from Iron Door to Superstition/Sand Dam and back on Saturday with no mishaps and am getting more comfortable on it.  I am still running the stock front tire which I don't care for, especially in the sand, and have changed the rear out to a Shinko 505 which I like a lot.  Uncorked the exhaust, tore off the smog and reed valve and put a JD Tuner on which cleaned it up a lot also.  It is more bike than I deserve and I am trying to do it proud!

Simi,

Seems to me you are enjoying the Transition!  So you guys on the " new " platform tell him what rear sag you are running. To my mind that can transform the bike from twichy to sloppy with a couple of circles of the pre-load. Getting it correct for the feel you want is one wrench away. 

And dang, throw a Shinko 216 on the front. 

Bags

I am Bags; thank you!  I will admit to having nothing done with the suspension whatsoever; it is sitting in the position that it came from when I picked it up.  My XR was set up at Precision Concepts (a buddy did it for me-long story-or it would have gone to George at some point) which changed it a lot; I really do need to work on that on this bike as well.  I ran a good share of whoops this weekend and it is a bit spongy and could use some stiffening up.  

216 is on the list!  The stock tire just drifts too much (especially in the sand).  I asked for that and the 505 for Christmas and my wife bought me two 505's instead; I am sure it will not go to waste!

Quick Fix,

Throw one full turn of compression on the ring to sharpen the streering and see how it feels.  In the end, you are the judge of what you want.

5 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I will admit to having nothing done with the suspension whatsoever; it is sitting in the position that it cam from when I picked it up. 

George transformed the riding experience on my 500.........just do it.

Likewise, picked the 950SE up from George last Friday.........anxious to get out and RIDE!

One full turn to start-check!

Save up dough to see George-check!

Man-I love this page!!