simicrintz

XR650L versus 500 EXC-F

For the last 40 years I have been an XR guy.  Started with an '82 XR500R and am currently on an '08 XR650L.  Mama bought me the 650L for my 50th and I will never sell it.  Her and I have done several 2-ups here and in Arizona (not the most comfortable bike; our longest trip was about 190 miles and we both had severe monkey butt afterwards!) and it works out well.  I've had the suspension reworked and it does well in Ocotillo and Big Bear (when I get to ride).  Overall I am very happy with the bike.

I met with some guys the other day regarding some participation that I may be able to provide them in their business and a new direction they are considering going.  The initial concept was limited involvement on my part, and then it morphed into a potential greater involvement.  The "position" I would possibly be filling offered a vehicle (don't need one), fuel card (don't need one), phone (don't need one), laptop (don't need one), etc.  The conversation did include the owners biking and their love of all things orange, which led to the (potential) offer of a new KTM since there are so many items that I do not require that someone else may.  I guess if they bought me a new bike they would be saving money!

As I get older the thought of a lighter bike intrigues me, but it also scares me a bit.  I have been on heavy bikes for so long that I wonder if this makes sense or if I should just continue to push around the  heavy bike.  I really do not need another bike (don't get to ride what I have enough!) but wonder what you guys think of the idea?  Am I being foolishly concerned and would the transition from heavy to 100 pounds lighter be relatively easy?  I'll be 59 in about a month and I really would like to keep riding until I'm 70 (or longer), so the biggest driving force here is handling a bike as I age.  I don't see my riding locations changing going forward (maybe more mountain stuff like Big Bear, but not ready to leave Ocotillo).

Thanks guys!

Do it you fool!!! But seriously huge difference

Most of us in our 60’s might not be riding the places we ride if it wasn’t for the KTM’s

CiD

• Haha 1

Did you really just write 3 paragraphs to ask this group if you should accept a free KTM 500EXC?

• Haha 1

Don't do it, once you get the right tires etc you wont ride the old one anymore. Thats not fair to your old faithful....unless you want to keep riding into the future

Really appreciate the replies, guys (funny that with the exception of CID I've met you all!).  I truly am not trying to "brag" about this opportunity and am looking for input; the weight difference is a real concern to me.  The fact that "Most of us in our 60’s might not be riding the places we ride if it wasn’t for the KTM’s" may hold some truth intrigues me even more (although I struggle to admit that the XR may get too heavy for me at some point).  As I age, I have few goals (more riding, start surfing again and more golf-don't judge me for that last one!) and strength and the ability to remain safe rate quite high.  After my last crash (broken ribs, jammed wrists and thumbs and some admirable contusions) my wife questions my ability to stay with this as I grow older, and I ain't ready to quit (borrowing from John Bender-"not even close, bud"!). 

Truly appreciate the input.  I guess if it happens I will just have to take it slow and adapt.  Another concern is that Uncle Champs statement comes true.......

Come and ride my bike -might be scary at first then you will see how user friendly it will be . 

If they realy want you in their business they can buy you a new street legal Honda CRF  !!!!   Done Deal !

If they are realy serious then mabey a KTM 700 ( when they come out ) and a used Sprinter Van !

Just do it. At 64 I would be nervous about going to a 650, not the other way around. The KTM will be soooo much more fun. Keep the 650 for the 2up stuff. 

1 hour ago, kkug said:

If they realy want you in their business they can buy you a new street legal Honda CRF  !!!!   Done Deal !

Shoot, you'd be staying in the family , it's way lighter but still heavier than the Ktm, and it'd be light years better than the XR!

And make shure they include all the upgrades, Suspension 101,Rekluse, Dampener, Vortex, ect .

So a couple of takeaways from these replies:  I will need to hire kkug as my negotiator.  Staying Red would allow the bikes to get along in the garage and not fight (not sure I could convince the company guys to allow me to stray from orange-may need kkug again here).  

Interesting comment on going to a 650 and having concerns.  Since that is all I know I never thought about that scenario.  When I do get to ride it I just jump on it and go.

Should hear something this week; very interesting hearing what you guys think and making me think about stuff I had not considered.

I would ask around on here sure there's a couple guys in north county who can let you take a quick RIP, if even for 10minutes on street jumping curbs will be eye opening 

In a basic sense the KTM 500EXC is a current world class state of the art racing platform. The Honda XR not so much, however the Honda CRF street version is on the same terms as a current world class state of the art level racing platform.

so with the Honda family you get one of these in a basic sense.

honda-450-crf-alex-salvini.jpg

Only thing you’ll miss about the 650 is the big comfy couch seat. 

You’re welcome to try my fully setup 500 if your out towards Alpine. 

Crazy thing about all of this is I am not world class!!!  Just an old fart on a bike that is afraid that the ride could be coming to an end if he doesn't plan ahead!

kkug lives about 2 miles from me and has graciously offered to let me try not drop his (thanks Ken!) and I may take him up on it (and thank you Ken S for the offer as well!).  Thinking I better wait until all the details are finalized and I truly know one may be coming my way before I jump on something that I may love and then the deal falls though........

Gotta figure Honda's approaching this street legal stuff from a durability (notice I didn't say "reliability ") standpoint. That means longer intervals between regular maintenance, etc.

I had one Yamaha back when (late 70's DT175) and all the rest have been red bikes (includes three wheelers as well).  I am pretty diligent in taking care of what I have, and I can say that I have never owned a Honda that let me down, and the work to keep them that way is pretty simple and easy.  Trust me, the CRF is one awesome looking bike in my opinion and would keep me in the red family (I am always hesitant to do a first year anything though!), but I have been eyeing the orange bikes for quite some time now (orange is just one shade below red, right?).  

Stopped by NCY tonight on my way home to look at a 2019 500EXC.  Sales guy said only changes are seat style and $200 more than the 2018.  If true, I may throw that out to the guys I may help and see if they can get a better deal on a 2018.  I have a good buddy/neighbor up the street that works for Harley and he says their sales are down 50% since the trade tariff has gone into play.  I asked the guy at NCY if they have seen a dip as well, and while he was reluctant to say so he did admit that it "wasn't what it was".  In general it may be a good time to be in the market if sales are slowing and folks don't want to get stuck with inventory and need to move units.

Feeling guilty now and need to wander out to the garage and hug the XR......

11 hours ago, robertaccio said:

In a basic sense the KTM 500EXC is a current world class state of the art racing platform. The Honda XR not so much, however the Honda CRF street version is on the same terms as a current world class state of the art level racing platform.

so with the Honda family you get one of these in a basic sense.

honda-450-crf-alex-salvini.jpg

And for comparison:

image.png.01827a2500e7510c5ce2cb65725d1939.png

1 hour ago, MacDuncan said:

Are you comparing apples to apples.....  or apples to oranges .....   :) 

I guess that is the question.  I understand that an '08 XR (unchanged for what-20 years?!) is no comparison, but it is all I know.  It works, its reliable and it will go pretty much anywhere.  But I'm getting older and while I am still able to manhandle it, do I want to or is it going to shorten my riding years?  And if I do something else (like I mentioned, this was a gift from my wife and I will never sell it-the sentimental side of me does not allow it) will I just let this bike sit in the garage?  

Certainly apples to oranges.  And a want and not a need (at least at this point).

So it looks like this happened this morning.  I am supposed to pick it up this afternoon and am pretty excited.  Just wanted to thank you guys for all of your input; really hoping to put a few miles on this and see what a light bike is all about.  And then the goal will be to finally meet and ride with a lot of you!

Thank you all again for all the input-BRAAAAP!!!

IMG_0053.jpeg

I have a feeling you are going to love it!  Congrats!

hahaha, you went into the bar talking about an AA meeting.

Congratulations!