Rexx Riot

North County Trails NOT on Fire

Hey guys,

Was gonna take me recently acquired DRZ out today and run around with my brother in law in his baja bug but it seems getting into Pamo for black mountain etc isn't gonna be possible I don't think with thr closures and fires (unless you guys have an update...?)

Wanted to ask where we may blitz to from vista for an impromptu ride that we could tackle together. Open to any ideas you guys have! Thanks

Congrats on the bike  :)   Get your GPS soon and then just wander until you see dirt, then ride it (especially since you can Loop Thomas Mtn to Bee Canyon to SAN JACINTO RIDGE TRUCK TRAIL, once the fires are out, but don't forget to adjust the air in your tires in case they were recently filled higher for an asphalt commute!  Those tires may meet most needs around 13-14 lbs, but easy go on the blacktop, especially painted lines. 

Hoping the Idyllwild area is getting in control soon..... scary, bummer, dang. Be safe Rexx.  MacDuncan

Mac, thanks so much. Fire chief is calm and confident that town is safe it's just about winning the war now. Hopefully we can get home next weekend. 

Thanks also for meeting with me. Got to go to up the dirt side of Palomar mountain today which I didn't know existed: from highway 76 to over 6k on dirt, sand, and rocks (with bits of asphalt) and then down the paved side. It was just so much more than I thought it would be. Incredible. Thanks for everything

10 hours ago, Rexx Riot said:

Mac, thanks so much. Fire chief is calm and confident that town is safe it's just about winning the war now. Hopefully we can get home next weekend. 

Thanks also for meeting with me. Got to go to up the dirt side of Palomar mountain today which I didn't know existed: from highway 76 to over 6k on dirt, sand, and rocks (with bits of asphalt) and then down the paved side. It was just so much more than I thought it would be. Incredible. Thanks for everything

Your speaking of Nate Harrison grade. There are two other dirt option to the top of Palomar from the 79 side which are even better. You've just touched the surface. Thankfully there is much more out there and it sounds like you've been hooked. 

Lol, yeah I'm hooked. Cant' stop blathering about it to anyone who will listen....gas station attendant, doctor, nurse, co-workers (just this morning!)....

Now I'm bashing my skull apart figuring how best to rubber...i think 2 sets of wheels is in order: something 50/50ish and something very dirt aggressive....but yeah i dunno about tire swaps etc. might be easier than i think it is with tube tires. just a big mountain bike basically?

Shinko 216 fat tire for the front. (Same as the Golden tyre fatty you’ll read about for half the price)

Moto Z Mouutain Hybrid Extreme for the rear  

Ultra heavy duty tubes  

Both are DOT legal  A bit loud on the street  Amazing off road  

Great combo on my 500  You won’t be disappointed  

I'm a fan of 2 sets of wheels, and it's easy to find DRZ wheels for sale.  Shinko 805 is a really good 50/50 rear .  I haven't found a good 50/50 front yet.  

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

Shinko 216 fat tire for the front. (Same as the Golden tyre fatty you’ll read about for half the price)

Moto Z Mouutain Hybrid Extreme for the rear  

Ultra heavy duty tubes  

Both are DOT legal  A bit loud on the street  Amazing off road  

Great combo on my 500  You won’t be disappointed  

Need new shoes for my bike very soon; where are you buying these, Ken?  Been running Dunlop D 606's but may want to try something new.

21 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Need new shoes for my bike very soon; where are you buying these, Ken?  Been running Dunlop D 606's but may want to try something new.

Slavens for the Shinko. 

C&D for the Moto Z because he doesn’t sell Shinko.  

I like to shop small and or local. 

21 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Thank you!!

Check rmatv.com 

I agree on shinko front but never liked the motoz mountain hybrid rear but tires are picky for people

25 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Check rmatv.com 

I agree on shinko front but never liked the motoz mountain hybrid rear but tires are picky for people

Thank you.  What didn't (don't) you like about the Moto Z Mountain?

1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

Thank you.  What didn't (don't) you like about the Moto Z Mountain?

looking back at kennys post he said extreme moutain hybrid i didnt catch that, i used the original mountain hybrid and traction wasnt good at all in sand or hardpack but was good on street and lasted forever was also really heavy and big for a 120. 

looks like mountain extreme has more spaced out knobs so might be better, think i might put one of the extreme mountains on my husaberg 570 dual sport rear wheel and i leave a knobbie on desert wheel

The dizzer Mac sold me has a Motoz tire on the rear, the knobs are big and gnarly with lots of channeling. I'm unsure which exact rubber it is though (I will check in tonight). I have zero frame of reference but for a noob's first time on dirt to hit 50mph indicated and NOT crash I was impressed. Not to say there wasn't a certain amount of "hold your breath, point the front wheel there, and grab a bunch of throttle til it hooks up" but it ate the trail alive and got me cruising home at 65 on highway 76 no problemo.

What would somebody expect to pay for a used set of drz wheels? New onces seem to be 350ish (warp 9 etc). I found a guy in the SoCal Supermoto FB group with a set and I offered 150 to which he wasn't impressed. That said I dont think I'd want to go higher than that anyway....with practice I can swap tires quick and easy enough I'm sure BUT if i didn't HAVE to....is 150 completely unreasonable you think or if I stick to my guns may I find a deal somewhere?