Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Met a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient

20180717_193314.thumb.jpg.f82d3d2077bd4dd5e3a39382978ad58f.jpgHad to share...

Met a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient...

This really nice guy John P. Baca who lives in my complex and has a Service Dog. We met a week ago and today he came down with his dog Jo Jo to hang out with us, he and Doc are buddies. 

As he was leaving, he said, "hey, would you like a Congressional Medal of Honor Coin" ?

He proceeded to tell me how he jumped on a hand grenade, covering it with his helmet in Vietnam to save the other men in his platoon. He almost died but survived. His gut took the brunt of the explosion, he's lucky to be alive.

I feel honored to know this man and his dog, and that he gave me 2 of the coins.

We are glad to be friends with this true hero and his dog.

20180717_190900.jpg

Oh man. I have one of those coins too. I met John at the Valero station on Sandrock. Great guy. I wish I had more time to chat. 

Where are you living now?

Pasta Man....we're right near you...Phyllis Place and Murray Ridge.

My son used to train with same karate instructor as Mr. Baca over a decade ago. Had the honor of getting to know him while watching my son. He is the best example of a humble man. My recollection is he jumped on the grenade as he was the "old man" of the group - in his early twenties.

13 minutes ago, MotoDude said:

My son used to train with same karate instructor as Mr. Baca over a decade ago. Had the honor of getting to know him while watching my son. He is the best example of a humble man. My recollection is he jumped on the grenade as he was the "old man" of the group - in his early twenties.

Wow, small world. We'll be seeing more of him since we live in same complex.