Bagstr

If You Were 17 Today - What Bike Would You Buy?

Cast your mind back to the Days when you were a senior in High School;  You had $1000 for a down payment and a part time job.

Looking at Todays bikes,  What motorcycle would you buy?

19-honda-super-cub-c125-34r-1528479572.j

One Option  Honda 125 Super Cub

2014 500 EXC, the finest motorcycle conceived by nonspecifichigherpower and built by mortals.

KTM 250 XC-W TPI

Obviously, I will be working more than one part-time job, and for many hours to make the payments. Do they have 20 year loans on dirt bikes?  I'll be out riding this Austrian beauty on my off time. No time for school so I'd graduate early...But hey, school nowadays is just an indoctrination to being a good little soldier anyways right? 

2 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

KTM 250 XC-W TPI

Obviously, I will be working more than one part-time job, and for many hours to make the payments. Do they have 20 year loans on dirt bikes?  I'll be out riding this Austrian beauty on my off time. No time for school so I'd graduate early...But hey, school nowadays is just an indoctrination to being a good little soldier anyways right? 

+1

cid

This is an incomplete hypothetical question.  Are you asking my 17 year old self, or my 48+ year old self in my 17 year old body?  Cuz' my 17 year old self didn't know jack.

He, he -   Should  have know to ask simple Yes or No questions.

Are you 17 ?     

Can you imagine being 17 ?

If I gave you $1000,  could you find a motorcycle to buy?

Is this the motorcycle you would buy?

honda-monkey-125-concept-motorcycle-mini

Is this the motorcycle you would buy?

758f9d6e-3350-43da-aa9a-9e72c09a93aa.jpg

Would this motorcycle make you more popular at lunch time and help win girl / boy friends?

The actual question is, What affordable two wheel excitement machine captures the imagination of todays 17 year old?

P.S / Extra Points -  Should have known college was a waste of time!

Double Extra Points - If you can produce a photo of you and your date on a moto when you where 17.

Date? On a 305 Dream Machine that smoked horribly, who knew that when it quit smoking is would blow up due to lack of oil.

18 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

The actual question is, What affordable two wheel excitement machine captures the imagination of todays 17 year old?

Trick question. 17 year olds these days are too busy staring at their phones to care about motorcycles. 

If I looked hard I could find a picture of me and a girlfriend on a 72 Honda CB500F. Now I have 2 in the garage along with 2 550’s.

CiD

Just now, Covered in Dust said:

If I looked hard I could find a picture of me and a girlfriend on a 72 Honda CB500F. Now I have 2 in the garage along with 2 550’s.

CiD

Hmmm, you best not admit on a public forum that you have 2 girlfriends in the garage.  Just sayin'

5 minutes ago, mctrails said:

Hmmm, you best not admit on a public forum that you have 2 girlfriends in the garage.  Just sayin'

He’s bragging. 

If I was 17 I’d be on a YZ250 2 smoker. 

1 hour ago, mctrails said:

Where else would I keep them? The wife is in the house.

Travis Pastrana's one-off AF 500 cc two stroke 

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

Where else would I keep them? The wife is in the house.

Oh My!!   Love It

My 17 year old me and 48+ old me wants this.  Good for scootin' around town, fun in the canyons, all around great bike.

2017-Husqvarna-701-Supermoto-08.thumb.jpg.ae201e86f87376f9a9e9bec120fa7c44.jpg

This is what I wanted when I was 17

26317.jpg

I bought one when I was 18.  I still have it.

12 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I’ve been in your garage and I didn’t see two girlfriends there.

Something useful, like a badass 2-smoker.  A CR500 or a YZ490.

FC3B492A-6791-4547-BDE7-FA12DBB866F0.jpeg

2B24F84B-5D13-4D5E-AA79-11A35FC8B135.jpeg

Excellent Choices, all.   What we wanted and what we got tells us a lot about ourselves.

19660601_Honda_CL125_Benly_H-881-300x196

This is what I owned

classic1969husky250.jpg

This is what I wanted

When I was in high school, I loved all types and brands of motorcycles so much, that I wanted just about everything...but the Penton 125 was at the top of my list.  Of course, I was mostly interested in racing motocross in those days, and the Penton...well this machine was way too rich for my blood.  I haven't changed much over the years, except that maybe now I am a little less prone to want so many different machines, and I have no interest in entering an competition events.    Also, with the way the world has changed and evolved, it's hard to say what I would be interested in today as a teenager, but the opportunities that presented themselves then were more numerous and different than they are now, so maybe I wouldn't even be interested in motorcycles.  But if dropped into this scenario, I would say for dirt, I would want a Beta X Trainer and for street, I would want a Yamaha R3.

Couldn't get a girlfriend in HS; had a better chance of getting a bike........