Sign in to follow this  
Paultergeist

Don't laugh.....I am riding a Honda Grom.....

....but I believe a considerably-larger motorcycle is in my future.

Greetings.  My name is Paul, and I live in Lemon Grove.  I have had a Honda Grom for almost two years now, and have ridden around much of San Diego County backroads on that bike.  At only 125cc, the Grom is not exactly freeway-friendly (or legal), but the little bike has surprised me with what it could do.  Aside from pavement, the bike has handled dirt roads around Anza Borrego, Jamul / Chula Vista, Ramona, and some of McCain Valley Road near Campo.  It is the first motorcycle I have owned in quite a few years, and I am having a good time with it.  It is small and light enough that my buddy and I (he owns one as well) can simply pick the bikes up and load them on his truck if we want to haul them somewhere.  The engine is super-easy to work on and overall, the machine has been a lot of fun for me.

I am, however, finding myself desiring to go farther off-road than the Grom is equipped to handle.  Some folks have taken Groms and highly-modified them to make them more dirt-capable.  While that is yet an intriguing idea, I have a feeling that a better path for me may be to simply get a larger bike more suited to my future riding intentions.  With that, I went on-line to do some research regarding bikes and stumbled upon this forum.  I am initially looking forward to discussing specific motorcycles with others possessing more experience than myself, and I hope to join in on some of the group rides.

Anyway, that's my story.  I am happy to be here.

Welcome to the board. Plenty of advise can be found around here. Truth be told, most of us wouldn't mind having a Grom in our arsenal. We'd only ride one at night though so no one could see us on it.... :heh:

Welcome to SDAR!

Groms are cool. Off road Groms even cooler.  Build it.  Otherwise, buy a KTM.  You won't be disappointed.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.29cd4d5cb49142a7cff4af78a31061a5.jpg

Welcome. Always intrigued by the Grom and as you've found out, more capable than some think.

I'm just over in Rancho SD if you ever want one idiots opinion over a beverage or something. I've had 20 bikes go through my garage in the past 12 years - mostly used of course - having fun with different setups.

A ton of experience here and I've seen way more of the SW than I would've on my own for sure.

Welcome to the forum!  This one's coming next year but not cheap.

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

TrophyHunter, I ride out in your part of the world primarily (Jamul, Potrero, Campo, etc, also Julian, Ramona), as these parts are accessible via non-freeway from Lemon Grove.  Picking your brain over a beverage would be great -- my schedule opens up a lot more after the fourth of July.

I'm in Lemon Grove as well, have a Trail 90 which is like the early version of the Grom.  I like little bikes and taking them places they shouldn't go.  When I get back in town and I get the Trail 90 back up again let's go riding!

That is a great idea.  I just stumbled across your Alaska trip thread......when you get back and have recovered, it may be time for mini-bikes!