Sign in to follow this  
MacDuncan

Troy Campground? - never been there

Hi Y'all.  A few buddies and I have decided to ride for a couple days in a spot where none of us have ever gone.  I was thinking of going up to Weldon Sunday midday, and then ride south around sunset....towards Jawbone,  but weather may be scorching?  (but KOA with pool, showers,  and a restaurant n bar?  :)  )

So, as a possible alternative...... I saw a few recent posts on SDAR that got me thinking.....  I have always looked west when going by 9-mile canyon road just past Pearsonville when heading to the mammoth area up the 395.  Frankly, hard to believe that the magnet of not-knowing what was up that canyon was been ignored for so many years.  My guess is that it will be 10 - 15 degrees cooler up near Kennedy Meadows.  On the net, seems like first come first serve campgrounds.

AND, some jeep roads and single track riding.   (or go up the Kern road to get there?  trucks and trailer ... or bikes on a full day trip?)

Logistics for eat/sleep/ drink.....  Is it likely that we would find a campsite easily sunday night, or should we target a slightly different location, or likely we will need to pirate camp?

Logistics for riding....  pretty easy to find best / cool rides?  and which direction from campground?  I ordered a map, so that might help, but hasn't been delivered yet.  A few 60 year olds want to roam around and check stuff out.

Thanks for any info or insights.  Mac  

There are two campground and an open camping area within a few miles of each other. Kennedy Meadows is along the fork of the Kern and is fine. But I prefer Troy Meadows campground, which is a little further up the road (Sherman pass Rd.) It provides better access to the riding trails, is nice, but basic. 

I think you will NOT have a problem getting a site on Sunday night. Many people bail on Sunday and head back to reality. If for some strange reason the two campground (Troy and Kennedy) were full, there is an open camping area between the two (and I'm sure other areas to pirate camp). There is not a lot in the area. A general store. Bring food and water so you don't have to drive a distance to resupply. 

Rides: Everything from easy two track to some advanced single track. Trails are very well marked and the area is a blast to ride. 

Also there’s Fish Creek campground a couple of miles north of Troy along Sherman Pass Road. Stayed there many times. 

Just FYI...It can still be hot up in the mountains, ridden there many times.