350thumper

2019 CRF 450 L

Just now, TexasDualler said:

The 25hp claim is a bogus claim. It’ll make power close to the CRFX numbers

Hey TD, show me this bogusness please. I would like to be schooled. 

46 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Hey TD, show me this bogusness please. I would like to be schooled. 

“4. It Makes a Lot More Than 24 Horsepower

There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.”

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Consider yourself schooled. :P

19 hours ago, TexasDualler said:

“4. It Makes a Lot More Than 24 Horsepower

There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.”

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Consider yourself schooled. :P

Okay, I feel smarter already! below is a link that shows that the HP rating of 25HP that is direct from Honda.

Key 2019 CRF450L Info (for those in a hurry):

• 2019 CRF450L Price / MSRP: $10,399 (targeted)
  • 2019 CRF450L Release Date: September 2018
  • 2019 CRF450L Colors: Red
  • 2019 CRF450L Horsepower: 25 HP
  • 2019 CRF450L Torque: 23.6 ft/lb TQ
  • 2019 CRF450L Miles Per Gallon: TBA
  • 2019 CRF450L Seat Height: 37.1 inches
  • 2019 CRF450L Weight: 289 lbs (curb)

Edit / Update: Quite a few people have expressed concern on multiple forums, comment section below and on social media etc that the CRF450L’s horsepower rating on this page is a typo or incorrect. The horsepower rating below is not a typo on my end. The 2019 CRF450L horsepower and torque numbers are directly from Honda. Thanks as always for the feedback though guys, you keep me on my toes when it comes to information like this and at times I do make mistakes so having thousands of extra eyes on the information can be helpful.

Power = torque × revs ÷ 9548.8

Assuming the (peak) torque figure of 32nm is correct, to get 18.4kw we need to be at 5500rpm. Seems way too low to me for peak power.

Even in L configuration tuned for reliability and durability, it surely has to redline at at least 10,000rpm, with peak torque between 7 and 8000 and peak power between 8 and 9??

Of course torque output varies throughout the rev range but just at an initial glance the much-touted power and torque figures don't make sense.

I guess we will find out once these bikes are out of the crate. Below is the link. Honda may want to address this discrepancy since there are going to be so many reviews out there that will have ambiguous HP ratings. Just like anytime we get information on the internet, "one can find any info they are looking for to back up their claims." 

Here are a couple of links. 

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2019-honda-crf450l-review-specs-motorcycle-dual-sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CRF450L#cite_note-dualsport-2

Just saw the bike in person and spoke in person with factory Honda guy who’s ridden the bike. Makes power in mid 40s and wheelies out of the box. It’s a good looking bike. Anyone who gets one won’t be disappointed 

34 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Just saw the bike in person and spoke in person with factory Honda guy who’s ridden the bike. Makes power in mid 40s and wheelies out of the box. It’s a good looking bike. Anyone who gets one won’t be disappointed 

Glad to hear this! It seemed crazy that a 450 would be detuned to such a low horsepower rating. Look forward to seeing one on the trail! Thanks TD!

1.  276 lbs with no fuel

2.  2 gallon fuel tank

3.  On-Road Design compromises

Let's face it; as we learned with the latest KTM dualsport design, the new bikes are not " Race Ready " out of the box. These bikes seem to me about half-way to the KTM 690 by design. Maybe this is a good thing to many buyers. I had a 690R and it was an excellent bike: good road manners and decent in the sand plus 3000 mi service interval.  How does in handle the Sand?  That is the make or break as to success as a true dualsport.  I wonder if they extended the service interval.

B)

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/          600 mile oil change

My husaberg fe570 about same.specs and crf450l and mine at 305lb wet and its significantly heavier and harder to ride in anza borrego than a new ktm 350 or 500

43 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

My husaberg fe570 about same.specs and crf450l and mine at 305lb wet and its significantly heavier and harder to ride in anza borrego than a new ktm 350 or 500

And that is why I NEVER sit on a new bike like the KTM!  I have no idea how heavy my XR650 is or how hard it is to ride cuz I've never rode anything lighter!

Most of my buddies are on light orange bikes and I am often tempted to take one for a spin but I know what it will do to me.  I like to ride sweep by my nature so it is usually not a problem keeping up in most cases.  Occasionally they will try to mess with me and take a line that is a bit more challenging and (so far) I have always been able to hang with them.  Nothing against those new fangled light bikes but I still love my heavy pig!

On 6/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, simicrintz said:

And that is why I NEVER sit on a new bike like the KTM!  I have no idea how heavy my XR650 is or how hard it is to ride cuz I've never rode anything lighter!

This is the best thing I have read in a long time. Well said. Long live the BRP. 

Saw a 450L riding down the road in Ramona last week. Exhaust seemed nice and quiet but a bit like a tin-can.  Looked liked a nice bike

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Ken S said:

Someone buy one and get it setup proper. 

Be interesting to see what it takes to make it work good. 

I put 4 grand plus into my 18 500 and 2 grand into my  15 WR450F to get them where I was happy with them (race ready)

Cant wait to drag race one up a sand dune against my 500 EXC. And my 15 WR 450. 

Honda has made some fast bikes in the past. Ask 350 Thumper about his 450R death trap. 

Some of the fastest riders in Desert Racing are riding 5-10 old 450R and 450Xs  

I loved the Honda’s I had in the past  Rode many a 3 wheeler into the ground with little maintenance  and went thru a bunch of 80’s era XLs  Put 100,000 on a Gold Wing I bought used and wrecked with nothing but tires and a half dozen oil Changes  

Maybe they got it right. 

My 2015 was dyno'd just a hair over 63HP at the wheel.  Gets expensive to ride and run crazy hot if you aren't getting good airflow.  That with oversized radiator, HP cap engine ice and hi-flow water pump but man it pull away hard

Spotted a 450L finishing the Tecate Enduro yesterday. Must be a halfway decent bike if it was able to get through that course. 

30 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Spotted a 450L finishing the Tecate Enduro yesterday. Must be a halfway decent bike if it was able to get through that course. 

Or a insanely good rider. Remeber a xr250 couple years ago and guy was fast

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Or a insanely good rider. Remeber a xr250 couple years ago and guy was fast

Pretty much 80% the rider and 20% the bike. Glad the Honda made a good showing. 

I'd what till 2020 and see what they'll come out by then. I own an R plated in AZ and a Race R.  I've ridden the X not much their lack of power and suspension. The new 450 L needs a bigger tank and the seat from a 650 L.