TexasDualler

300 Top End Advice

7 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Spoke with Millennium. About $300 for the repair plus round trip shipping but it’s a gamble if it’s repairable, the chip in the port being the concern. Then I would still need a new head and main power valve (also damaged). So roughly by my estimate somewhere between  $700-750 if I go that route. 

Slavens kit that contains everything I would need and a new CDI for $900. And then I could sell my old CDI on eBay for a steal at $100 (I see several other used CDIs going for $170). Plus maybe sell my old cylinder to Millennium and come out the same or maybe a little ahead if I go this route. Or at the very least only 100ish bucks more for a power gain over the stock set up. 

Winner winner

heads are relatively inexpensive and there are many choices from oem to aftermarket mild to wild to adjustable. I kind of agree with ISDE97 about the full split.

however I also think in probability that the culprit has been thrown out the exhaust port along with the port edge pieces.....amgems is correct about solvent. if you go that route just be super thorough with the flush and blow, and cycling the crank put down a catch item pan and towel as a filter to view any bits that fall out (upside engine) or leave in frame and flip it over

also the note the slavens kit is for his mule kit, he designed that for high altitude (Colorado) use so you may be able to get just the needed parts from jeff, cylinder for example , he used maximum hi comp heads to compensate for high altitude riding. An oem XC or EXC head will be lower comp and they are not very expensive. 

I believe Jeff also recommends using a .04 base gasket with his kit. Could compensate by using original .06 base gasket thickness. 

Beauty is if you go with Jeff's kitted stuff you have him as your tech rep for set up.

Bike is back up and ripping again. Slavens kit was the way to go. Couple things to note though, the kit did not come with the EZ clips as advertised, it did however come with the SX CDI box and wrist pin bearing that I was told was not included. EZ clips would’ve been nice but I’m not one to complain and after copious amounts of four letter words and YouTube videos I was able to get the provided piston clips in place. In the end it was TOTALLY worth it. Bike fired up with just a tap of the magic button and I’m loving the low end grunt it has now. The power band is smooth everywhere. And it’s so nice that it’ll actually hold an idle again. No more having to constantly pump the gas to keep her running. I really should’ve done this sooner. 

46BAD8FD-7FD5-4E9E-99B6-2CEB12289D9D.thumb.jpeg.306510d34f1543c57e734c9b61256648.jpeg

The kit

E2749E07-AC77-479A-829C-130F2B0AF323.thumb.jpeg.6b2dd7d61d3647ffba36b121948b276b.jpeg

Labor of love 

24C0A62B-F3C7-4709-B1A7-79591947B927.thumb.jpeg.aaf55d900edfe30e313c540a61b47e04.jpeg

This is what I was able to flush out of the bottom end. 

So so in conclusion, new ‘16 cylinder, SX head, SX CDI box, .5mm base gasket installed (vs .6mm stock). Also glad I decided to pull the motor out of the frame because I found the swing arm bolt had come completely loose. Yikes. Also gave me the opportunity to put some fresh grease in the swing arm bearings. 

Glad your back at it. 

Desert trip next weekend. 

Havent been to Superstition in to long. 

good work. good on ya for the flush out. glad it all worked out