Sign in to follow this  
johnnyg

bradshaw trail/mojave road conditions

hi all,

i ride a girly tiger ('06 955i) and would like to make a 3-4 day camping loop, going east on the bradshaw trail, then returning on mojave road. how sandy/technical are these roads? tires are mitas e07's, i'd consider myself an intermediate-lite rider, and i prefer moving to dabbing. 

any other unpaved-but-a-stock-rav4-could-do-it route suggestions are welcome.

best regards,

john

I have nothing to add about the status of the trail, but it sounds like a fun trip and I have been wanting to check it out.

I've ridden Bradshaw a few times and it is always smooth and graded. Easy to get going pretty fast and then have a sharp turn appear out of now where. There may be some small sections of soft stuff, but nothing to worry about. I've only ridden small stretches of The Mohave Trail, so not much help there. I have heard that there are some long stretches of deep sand. You will likely get better, more detailed info from the folks here.

6 hours ago, johnnyg said:

hi all,

i ride a girly tiger ('06 955i) and would like to make a 3-4 day camping loop, going east on the bradshaw trail, then returning on mojave road. how sandy/technical are these roads? tires are mitas e07's, i'd consider myself an intermediate-lite rider, and i prefer moving to dabbing. 

any other unpaved-but-a-stock-rav4-could-do-it route suggestions are welcome.

best regards,

john

The last time I was on Bradshaw 6 weeks ago, the west end of it that is down in the actual wash was a mess from all the Razors. We had several miles of axle deep washboard (razor bumps) that will shake the fillings out of your teeth. It's horrible, but probably dooable for an intermediate rider on a tiger with decent tires. Mojave Trail should be no trouble for you with exception to the west end in Afton Canyon where it can be very soft with several miles of Sand. The other question mark are the water crossings west of Afton Canyon. The last time I went through the one nearest the campground it went over my seat, time before that it was nearly dry. I've had to wade across that crossing more than once to rescue drowned bikes. I would call the NPS to find out if the trail closure on the east end near the fort has been lifted since it washed out last season. Great route overall, have fun!

I sold my place in parker last year but I use to ride there via the bradshaw at least 30 times. the  beginning has rocks and very soft sand but after that your ok. done it on a klr, super ten, dl 1000  think youll be ok

thanks for all the responses.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:00 AM, tntmo said:

I have nothing to add about the status of the trail, but it sounds like a fun trip and I have been wanting to check it out.

tom, thanks for the response... you'll be getting a text within the next month or so...

On 3/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, amgems said:

I've ridden Bradshaw a few times and it is always smooth and graded. Easy to get going pretty fast and then have a sharp turn appear out of now where. There may be some small sections of soft stuff, but nothing to worry about. I've only ridden small stretches of The Mohave Trail, so not much help there. I have heard that there are some long stretches of deep sand. You will likely get better, more detailed info from the folks here.

amgems, thanks for chiming in... it's great to get whatever info you can share about the routes.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:17 PM, HotRod82 said:

The last time I was on Bradshaw 6 weeks ago, the west end of it that is down in the actual wash was a mess from all the Razors. We had several miles of axle deep washboard (razor bumps) that will shake the fillings out of your teeth. It's horrible, but probably dooable for an intermediate rider on a tiger with decent tires. Mojave Trail should be no trouble for you with exception to the west end in Afton Canyon where it can be very soft with several miles of Sand. The other question mark are the water crossings west of Afton Canyon. The last time I went through the one nearest the campground it went over my seat, time before that it was nearly dry. I've had to wade across that crossing more than once to rescue drowned bikes. I would call the NPS to find out if the trail closure on the east end near the fort has been lifted since it washed out last season. Great route overall, have fun!

thanks for the detailed info hotrod, i'll check out the areas you mentioned in google earth to figure out a work-around.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, alyeska said:

I sold my place in parker last year but I use to ride there via the bradshaw at least 30 times. the  beginning has rocks and very soft sand but after that your ok. done it on a klr, super ten, dl 1000  think youll be ok

thanks for the vote of confidence alyeska... 

i appreciate all y'all's input. i'm itching to go burn some gas.

best regards,

johnnyg