Dan Diego

ADV Tire Review

Great write up. I love the BRP in there. The 606 is a wonderful tire. I always find it interesting how people interchange "trials" for "trails". 

16 hours ago, Reximus said:

Great write up. I love the BRP in there. The 606 is a wonderful tire. I always find it interesting how people interchange "trials" for "trails". 

And "defiantly" for "definitely"!

I realize that I am necro-posting a 2018 thread, but tires are important.

After running many sets of TKC80s front and back, because nothing is better than knobbies offroad, I've found the best compliment for me is a K60 rear and a tractionator front tire.

The K60 is easily at 10K+ tire and the tractionator far out lives the TKC80 as a front.

To each their own.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:56 PM, Kimber45 said:

The K60 is easily at 10K+ tire and the tractionator far out lives the TKC80 as a front.

Tractionator Model ???

35 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

MOTO Z 

I meant Rallz, Desert HT, Enduro, GPS, Dual Venture etc etc. ??

36 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

MOTO Z 

There are....
MotoZ Tractionator GPS
MotoZ Tractionator Adventure
MotoZ Tractionator RallZ 
MotoZ Tractionator Desert H/T
MotoZ Tractionator Enduro I/T 
And maybe even more.  

In my opinion, if you ride the high or low desert here in socal, and hardpack trails, and want to cook pavement out to those trails BUT not commute/daily the bike, the Tractionator Desert H/T combo by MotoZ is the business. 

If You want to do the above, ...but also retain some commutability (bit better mileage rear), MotoZ Tractionator Rallz. 
You could also run a desert ht front, with a rallz rear - since the fronts wear slower. I would call that an "Adventure Mullet" ... Business in the front, party in the back. 

If you take a look at your real riding percentages and you off road sometimes but put a lot of road miles down and want a absolutely perfect 50:50 tire, Dunlop TrailMax Mission. 

I've helped pick up many ADV bikes with the tires that have the center continuous band (tkc-70, gps, k60), as unless you air down, that center band can cause naps. 

My opinions are my own, take them or leave them, and only based on a meager ~85,000 miles in the last 4-5 years across a few bikes. 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shutterrev said:

You could also run a desert ht front, with a rallz rear - since the fronts wear slower. I would call that an "Adventure Mullet" ... Business in the front, party in the back. 

😂😂😂

• Like 1

I have the Adventure on my bike, with all the miles I ride on street. Don't race on dirt anymore. 

• Like 1

On my 690 right now I have Desert H/T Front (My favorite front tire), and am about to put the RallZ rear on, I think the Adventure Mullet is a good pick for a weekend trail warrior. Both the H/T's and the RallZ can be ridden very aggressively on road, with a near epic level of grip for how aggressive they are. But you do pay for them, thankfully the 690 has skinnier tires than my GS did. 

On larger ADV bikes I have for a while run either the Shinko 705's, or the big block 804/805's. You can't beat Shino's prices for the quality of tire it is. Shinko prints Continental's TKC's right next to their own tires, with the same rubber, and designs purchased from Yokohama. They are inexpensive because they don't have to pay for massive race teams and sponsorships. This means you get a above average tire, for a really good price. Also the low cost ADV Mullet is the 705 rear, with the 804 front. Both of those tires from Shinko are great for a daily driver bigger adv bike, I have 705's on my Multistrada now, no RaGeRtS. 

I did run a set of the TrailMax Missions on my F800GSA, and those are one of the best all around ADV tires I have ever tried. They have excellent grip for aggressive riding on road, and off road lets just say you can get away with a lot more than you think you can. They are just so daggum expensive. My wife has them on her Multistrada right now, she will probably want them again because she's gotten to trust them. 

TKC80 I think is a super fun tire in the twisties, they have near supermoto level grip in the twisties, and the rear goes quickly. Off road I think they are just kid of 'fine', pretty good tires, but the rear isn't long for the world. 

On my 1250 GS - I’ve been running the MotoZ DV front since before it was available for sale. It is the perfect front for a big ADV bike in our region from Borrego to Baja. From picking lines through 1mph rocks to triple digit sweepers. 
My mullet combo is the RallZ on the back. Am testing the Adventure on the back now as it gave me 5,000 miles on a big loop with the COBDR. I want to get it off into deep sand here for a number of miles to see what it lacks vs the RallZ. 
I dislike the Mission Trailmax for my purposes. Have them on my other Wheelset now and will probably pitch them early. But most folks love them. 
Just goes to show that tires are a personal choice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Just goes to show that tires are a personal choice. 

Indeed, as the tire and oil thread sayings go :)

Edited by shutterrev

ShutterRev & Zubb,

Thank you for the detailed info and experience on ADV Tiars. I am new to big ADV bikes and shortly i will be changing tires to try this season.

I currently have the MotoZ Tractionator Dual Venture as i like the reviews. I am waiting for my research to be done to decide which rear to go with before i put both on. Since i can't say what i will be doing with the bike as it is new to me my thought is a ADV Mullet (Like that description). I have a Supermoto for craziness on the street but i am surprised and very happy with how my 1090 does on the road with the stock tires. The low % of riding i will do in the dirt needs to be confidence inspiring so i can push around the big girl when i need to. I am thinking a 70/30 split for my first tire change so will likely go with the MotoZ Tractionator RallZ for the pooper end.

I have MotoZ Tractionator Desert H/T Front/Rear on my 950SE and no way could i run those on my 1090 and feel confident. They are noisy AF (Likely due to my Dirt helmet) and move around quit a bit on the outer lugs.

Here you can see my worn TKC's with just over 6k on the clock. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rQz34cuzY

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

i am surprised and very happy with how my 1090 does on the road with the stock tires.

The 1090 is a pretty impressive bike, I got to ride @Porkchop's 1090 (when he had one) and thought it felt pretty great. 
I assume you'd like to treat that bike the way I treat my Multistrada, it's the main daily driver, so I like having 80/20 ish or 70/30 ish tires on it at most, I pick my 690 for dirt most of the time, but like the option to be able to handle the occasional dirt road on the Multi. 

@Zubb has a lot of experience, and literally teaches folks how to ride off road on all sorts of big bikes, so I bet he sees a lot of what works and what doesn't first hand for bigger bikes. 

I'm just a former knee dragging 4cyl pavement/track princess that found dirt in 2017, I would guess, intermediate-ish off road, so I value tires that can get me from East county, out to the desert the twistiest way possible on the thumper, with some dirt tracks sewn in along the way, and provide good grip, are easy to mount by hand, and have ok-to-good mileage. If money was no object I personally would run the trailmax Missions on the Multistrada exclusively because it sees >90% Pavement, so I run the Shinko 705's on the pasta rocket to free up money for gucci MotoZ's on the 690 - :) - compromise - of sorts. For the 705's on the Multistrada, would I run them for a track day, not if I had the option to run Mitch Pilot Power Ones, but they are great for a middleweight+ ADV bike that sees mostly street.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

ShutterRev & Zubb,

Thank you for the detailed info and experience on ADV Tiars. I am new to big ADV bikes and shortly i will be changing tires to try this season.

I currently have the MotoZ Tractionator Dual Venture as i like the reviews. I am waiting for my research to be done to decide which rear to go with before i put both on. Since i can't say what i will be doing with the bike as it is new to me my thought is a ADV Mullet (Like that description). I have a Supermoto for craziness on the street but i am surprised and very happy with how my 1090 does on the road with the stock tires. The low % of riding i will do in the dirt needs to be confidence inspiring so i can push around the big girl when i need to. I am thinking a 70/30 split for my first tire change so will likely go with the MotoZ Tractionator RallZ for the pooper end.

I have MotoZ Tractionator Desert H/T Front/Rear on my 950SE and no way could i run those on my 1090 and feel confident. They are noisy AF (Likely due to my Dirt helmet) and move around quit a bit on the outer lugs.

Here you can see my worn TKC's with just over 6k on the clock. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rQz34cuzY

gorgeous bike!

We haven't even talked about TKC70 rocks.  That's another awesome 70/30 road bias tire.  The last I saw, Sean Thomas of BMW fame runs those full time all over Death Valley, Baja and such.  And he literally RIPS!  My son also ran a set at Sean's suggestion and gives them an A+ rating  for his 1250 and he's an A+++ rider.  I don't run them as I live in the sand with the GS. It's my dirt bike that I tour pavement on too.  Instead of the other way around.

IMO, if you know how to ride sand, just about any 80/20 tire will do on your 1090 for the typical 1-4" sand we have on many trails (Otay, Mason, Indian Flats).  You may want to air them way down if you get in trouble but that's why we carry pumps right?  My theory is I like to explore.  And that means you are going to get into the tough stuff from time to time.  I prefer a tire that gives me less "drops" when the sh*t hits the fan.  Especially since I'm not giving up road performance, only road mileage.

Note: my son is testing the Motoz GPS.  They are 10,000 mile tires.  They have a center stripe which I've always loathed.  However, he says this will likely become his tire for everything but the gnarliest trips.  Traction off road is far better than the other center stripe tires, and they are much quieter and smoother than RallZ and Adventures.  He may opt to go mullet next time with a DV front and GPS rear.

• Like 2

Lots of good info here. Will be getting tires on my 1200gs within the next few months. I like to think it'll be a 50/50 adventure bike, but truth is I do 100 miles of slab a day on it commuting now. Trailmax mission makes the most sense, but will take a good look at the offerings from Motoz now as well.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:34 PM, cmbthumper said:

I meant Rallz, Desert HT, Enduro, GPS, Dual Venture etc etc. ??

RallZ.  Sorry for not including that.

20 hours ago, shutterrev said:

You can't beat Shinko's prices for the quality of tire it is.

Darn tootin'.  I don't have any experience with Shinko's on an ADV bike but I got three (short) seasons out of Shinko's on a 450 trail riding in AK.  I thought I was doomed when I went to a local motorcycle shop to get another set of Dunlops and all they had in stock were these weird knock-off looking Shinko dirt bike tires.  Would totally buy them again.  The Shinko tire (don't recall the model) are to the MX31 what the 952s were to MX51s.  Not quite as good traction but last way longer.

• Like 1