paulmbowers

Latest Comms Update But wait... there's more!

1 minute ago, simicrintz said:

Looks like the site has gone dark and he is no longer registered......

Maybe he or she retired on all our money?

eh. PayPal will fix it if necessary. 

I'm not worried.  My shipping notice email shows eBay Money Back Guarantee on it anyway 🤔

6 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Maybe he or she retired on all our money?

eh. PayPal will fix it if necessary. 

It's $9. Not worrying too much:)

On 3/13/2019 at 7:25 AM, paulmbowers said:

Maybe he or she retired on all our money? eh. PayPal will fix it if necessary. 

I spoke to eBay a bit ago.  Account has been closed for violations to policy.  We need to wait (they still show them shipped but "collection delayed") before we can proceed with a refund or additional interaction.  Not a big deal and the lady I spoke with says that they (eBay) will refund if there is no delivery.

Just thought I'd pass this on.  Ain't a lot of $$$ but thought I would check and see where we stand anyway; fingers crossed the units will still come!

I saw at least one other listing very similar to that one- but probably the same scam. 

Or maybe 🤔

Well, I just received a couple beofang uv-5r radios in the mail. I had programmed a couple Rugged RH5r radios a few years ago with help from a computer wizard on an old windows computer. They have worked well.  Aren't all Rugged RH5r radios actually Baofeng UV5r's, in regard to programming?

Awhile back, Rugged did seem to help set up radios prior to sending, but the folks there I recently talked to said they will now only send standard radios without frequency adjustments made, so the customer will need to use Chirp for their individual programming needs. 

Dang, the very old windows computer crashed this morning. Likely, not a big deal if I get this story right....  as I transition to Mac OSX now since it is my primary computer.  If I download chirp today, and the misc other stuff recommended by chirp (serial driver this and that - always seems confusing/risky). I could use the RH5r rugged radio to download and save settings from that radio, and then hook up Baofangs and copy same channels and other settings used on the rugged's RH5r's, so all radios have same frequency programs... right?   Except, It will be unlikely that my windows "USB to radio" cable is now useable because of computer language - right?  and there seems to be a specific cable to avoid (the $10 cheaper one, and buy the $20 expensive one for Mac) right?  Is there a place in San Diego that I can walk into a store and buy the correct cable to hook up both rugged RH5r's and Baofeng UV5r's to Mac computer?

Thanks, KM6....   :)

There’s a place in Mission Hills that will happily lend your one. 

the radios ARE slightly different when using Chrip- certain functions are not available on some radios. 

One can copy/paste info from one to the other. 

a suggestion: don’t click the “remove squelch tail” function. I’m finding it more difficult to communicate in groups when some radios don’t have the squelch tail to indicate they’ve stopped transmitting. 

Thank you pb,  I was nervous about playing in chirp and losing set-up on existing radio when trying to set up new ones (even though it may not even be possible without a radio hooked up because the initial Chrip program has a blank screen when booted up unhooked to a radio - hence the need for a cable - I think  :)   .... and a bit challenging navigating around the program with the plethora of options like “remove squelch tail” function, etc... that a newbie would never know about unless guided by a pro...  If there are other "No Go" choices, feel free to share with me, especially because some of the choices may make it better for the listeners of my transmissions.

I don't use repeaters, nor scanning, but by having a couple 2m frequencies available to increase safety while adventure riding in a group or with a bud is a priority, especially when communicating clearly while going 60 mph on dirt roads. I recall the time that you were leading about 10+ plus of us while going faster than that across the desert when I scooched up while in the 3rd spot to avoid the rock spray, and you noticed my long shadow splitting the 2 front runners..... and you simply asked in a low calm voice without taking your eyes of the trail or turning your head if I wanted to pass or maintain rank..... I was able to reply why I was there so both front runners knew of my position, and my intent, and all was good.   That type of communication is simple, yet valuable.

In this rainy weather, a couple of my buds who will be future radio users are listening to the questions, and the supplied answers, to all of the questions for the amateur license test on Ham Whisperer .com    (because it makes passing the ham test significantly easier) . Governor (Bagstr) , if you care to copy and paste any communications I have shared (or asked about) to a dedicated communications strand to consolidate info, feel free to do so, and edit as you wish.... your info and efforts are always appreciated.  PbdBlue too, of course. It is impressive how much you all know!!  Cheers, and Thanks. Over  :) 

Let me know if you'd like to borrow the cable- I'll be out of town for a few days after xmas- I won't be using the cable.

I've added 2m repeaters, etc, but have never used them which I consider fortunate.

146.505!

I picked one of these up to use with my Baofeng.  https://ebay.us/kaOq5n  Doesn't sound that bad from the QSO's I've made.  I haven't figured out a way to mount the PTT in a way that I feel comfortable during a get-off.  I'm thinking of just putting it to my backpack strap since my hydration pack mouthpiece is there anyway.  I've convinced other riders in my group to snag their ham radio license and join in on the fun!  K6KDC aka Kyle aka Kilé

5 hours ago, noexcuse4you said:

I picked one of these up to use with my Baofeng.  https://ebay.us/kaOq5n  Doesn't sound that bad from the QSO's I've made.  I haven't figured out a way to mount the PTT in a way that I feel comfortable during a get-off.  I'm thinking of just putting it to my backpack strap since my hydration pack mouthpiece is there anyway.  I've convinced other riders in my group to snag their ham radio license and join in on the fun!  K6KDC aka Kyle aka Kilé

Yes, they always sound good to the transmitter. But they don’t sound so good to the receivers! 

The microphones are not the noise- rejection type, so at speed when you push the button, all your riding buddies hear a very loud blast of noise and unintelligible voice. They’re very disruptive in a riding group. 

45 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yes, they always sound good to the transmitter. But they don’t sound so good to the receivers! 

The microphones are not the noise- rejection type, so at speed when you push the button, all your riding buddies hear a very loud blast of noise and unintelligible voice. They’re very disruptive in a riding group. 

Ah.  I’ll have to do some experimenting.  I did a static test using it to transmit from my baofeng and receiving on my yaesu.  Haven’t tried at speed yet.  If it turns out to be too noisy, I’ll buy the mic a la cart from rugged radios and solder it on.  It’s only $30 

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=211

It’s possible I can save you some time and effort. 

The RR system’s origins are aircraft setups. Baja Designs pioneered them for Baja riders in the late 90’s. 

The reason the systems work for us is the noise-cancelling microphone, used in high-noise environments. These mics are very different from those I use professionally for audio and video production, which hear EVERYTHING from my client’s anxiously clicking her pen during a take (yup) to the boasted sexual peccadilloes of a presidential candidate. All in beautiful high-fidelity sound. Condenser mics used in studio settings are even more sensitive and accurate, which is one reason you see singers in isolation booths during recording sessions.

You've seen the use of our type in helicopters, small aircraft, rescue operations etc. They lack “gain” meaning they are less sensitive, but they offer a much quieter environment for those listening. They are also quite low-fidelity- very narrow audio range, tuned specifically in the voice range. 

However!
The low-gain nature of the mic is strongly dependent on proximity to the pie-hole of the talker. Think about the mic position of a tank driver or a helo pilot— always very close or touching their lips. If you move the mic away from the source (mouth) the audio volume diminishes very quickly. I can tell when a rider’s mic has slipped to the side or is installed backwards. They also require the user to project their voice a bit— quiet inflection and subtleties are lost. It really hurts my singing 🎤 technique.  Users need to use what vocalists call “pressure” in their voices- not yelling, but really strong projection. 

Unless you’re PHdBlue, who uses a slightly higher-gain mic, with lots of background noise as well  😉 but his is still a noisy compromise.

It’s 2020 and time for an update.

What is the generally accepted best purchase for an entry level beginner moto radio setup?