Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo

Sedona

I'm heading to Sedona next week.  No bike, resort type trip.  Were going to the Canyon on Thursday and doing some train thing other than that I'd like to do some hiking, exploring.  What are some "Must do-Must see's" while I'm there?

Take the dirt road east of town, it tops out on a mesa. Deer etc.

West of the town are indian low cliff dwellings, past the water processing plant.

Don't buy one of those darn Kachina dolls,hideous.

Have fun.

Dinner at the airport for sunset is always cool.  You can poke around in Jerome if you are into ghost towns as well.  

Sedona is a cool town; don't bother looking for vortexes......

There is a very unique souvenir shop across from the Best Western Plus Arroyo Roble Hotel & Creekside Villas if you can call it a souvenir shop. It's like a Indian ceremonial supply store. Pelts feathers, small skulls, fetishes, stones.... you name it. Real deal stuff. It also has other a little more mainstream stuff, but even most of that you will not find anywhere else. I had thought it was a different kind of place then I happen to over hear a phone conversation and yes kind of real deal kind of place. You'll Have to visit to understand.

We accidently stumbled upon the "Coffee Pot" restaurant, it's a land mark and the food was good. We were lucky to get a booth high in the back. In general I can't remember too much special about the food, apart from a pizza place on the other side of the town. Tried to make it to Moon Dogs but that didn't work out.

Pink Jeep tour as goofy as it sounds was great. Out driver liked to gas it and I was in a jeep with all ladies (my wife and a group of women who travel together 1 time a year) and it was really fun. The jeeps were beefy and got drove, I was impressed. We did a Indian ruins tour, 3 -4 hours, driver was local with a lots of knowledge, Indian ruins we really neat.

There are a few 1 hour or so trolley type tours, take them all if you can. Cheap easy way to see lots of sites and hear lots of info about the place. Driving and parking are iffy and really make sit easy. One stop at a vortex outside of town and one (one in the same?) goes by the airport. It stops here and there but it's not an on off kind of deal. I highly recommend the one out to the Chapel of the Holly cross.

If you have time drive up to Flagstaff and in doing so you will go above - next to a gigantic valley, Oak Creek I think, it is on the main route. The views were fantastic, unbelievable. There was a specific view turn off that was incredible. It is above Slipper Rock Park coming back down from flagstaff, another kind of cool place. We drove to Flagstaff very earl was y in the morning, got coffee and donuts and drove back down stopping a few places, it was beautiful. 3 - 4 hours round trip maybe. Cool road in parts too.

Stopped to have air pressure in car checked, looked and the view was stunning. The place is visually incredible. They also did a good job with their zoning and keeping the structures low profile and nature complimentary in colors in most cases. Oh and with that check out about the Mc Donald's.

I really had a good time there. I would have like to hike, but it was our anniversary.

We did the train from Williams to Grand Canyon on a different trip if that is what your doing. It was kind of fun, Williams was kind of off.

Sedona is awesome. If anyone wants to go up there and ride some time, I think I still have the gps tracks from a dual sport ride we did up there 10 years ago. First real organized dual sport ride I ever did.  Beautiful country side. Have fun. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I love the idea of a Helicopter ride

Check out some of the energy vortexes in the area...nice walks to get to them, and you might feel some healing earthly energy...I did.

Google them.

Was just there boondocking with the kids in a rental close to palatki (mentioned above) were those pink Jeeps loop around, was cool watching the hot air baloons in the morning maybe a fun alternative to helicopter for you? It's not for me but I randomly met people the day after during a hike there who did the balloon deal and loved it, fwiw

IMG-20171120-WA0011.jpg