carlos

Montana 600 Power Issues

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Montana 600 to a USB plug on the bike, but every time I switch it on, the unit goes into "charge mode." Bottom line, I'm not able to navigate and charge at the same time. I've tried with both USB to mini-USB and cigarette lighter adapter to mini-USB. Does anyone have a solution to this problem, or is it a "feature" of the Montana?

Hi Carlos

Don't have mine here, so can't verify 100%, but....I think, If you plug in the 600 when it has the factory battery in it, it will try to charge it. I believe if you press the power button to turn the unit on, after you plug it in, it will work fine. It will always try to charge the factory battery when plugged in, whether it is on or off. Could drain your bike battery if you don't disconnect it. I use the AA batteries so this won't happen.

Thanks Jim,

I'll try without the battery and with AAs tonight.

--Carlos

Carlos

So Duplicated your plug-in and,,, you are correct to a point. The USB symbol displays and pushing the start button does Not start the software. 

What I think is going on is that the unit thinks you want to exchange data with the notebook Basecamp program. Alas, Garmin requires you to buy the cradle to charge and operate the 600.  Garmin - Gotcha

http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=montana+6xx+amps+rugged+mount+with+audio+power+cable

Sumbitches! That's what I was missing. I'll get the cradle.

--Carlos

The cradle is the best way to do it but if you need to use USB you can enable usb operation by putting the Montana in Spanner mode.

Enable spanner mode: Setup--> System --> Interface --> Garmin Spanner

Once you change the setting the Montana will prompt what mode you want (i.e data transfer or normal operation) when you plug the USB connection in.

Thanks! That's even better, saves the money and the time to install.

--Carlos

The cradle will be much more reliable. USB is ok for the occasional use but long term I'd recommend getting the cradle.

Glad you got the correct info from the smart guys.

I have the powered cradle, and had it mounted on a RAM mount. It stuck up way too far and I was always bumping into it, and was vulnerable in a crash. So I also bought one of these https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Handlebar-Mount-for-MontanaMonterra-Series-and-GPSMAP-276Cx-P3114.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItf_lw8KJ1wIVVbnACh1ZTgLwEAQYASABEgL-cvD_BwE

I just swapped out the unpowered cradle for the powered cradle and clamped it to the bars. Got rid of the RAM arms and balls. It tucks in real nice and tight between the handlebar clamps. It has held up for many miles.