Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Campfire permits

With desert season approaching, a friend of mine notified me of a requirement to have a campfire permit.  I'm not sure if this is something new or something that I was supposed to be doing all along?  It's free and easy to get a permit online. 

Here's a snip from the CalFire site:  

Campfire Permits are designed for use on federally controlled lands including those falling under the US Forest Service, National Park Service, and Bureau of Land Management, and private lands that are the property of another person. On private lands you must also have written permission from the landowner for campfire use.  

Here are the links:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/communications/communications_firesafety_camping_campfirepermits

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Been around a couple years, required now on all state and govt land so forest and blm 

May I add that Firewood Restrictions in California make it difficult to enjoy a Good Wood campfire anymore. What is camping without a Campfire? Suggestions to buy wood locally do not work always in our desert areas because it is suggested to transport wood no further than fifty miles. 

Personally I burn propane when fire restrictions are in effect and Pellets when I absolutely have no other choice. (Yes,  there is a Pellet burning Campfire Pit and it works great!)  Otherwise ....... give me a good 'ole wood burning Campfire!

The tree devastation in the Sierra National Forest has many factors besides the beetle. Forest Management, Fire Policies, etc. But Pests still damage so many types of trees needlessly by the carelessness of others. Hopefully we learn from mistakes of the past policies and the forests will survive and thrive. 

http://www.firewood.ca.gov/research.html

Really....... Dammit, I sound like a tree hugger....... :ph34r: 

S

Side note.  I am looking for a log splitter....... to rent if anyone has one.

• Like 1

As noted in the application, you need one even to use a portable backpacking stove outside a designated campground.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:17 AM, Bp619 said:

Been around a couple years, required now on all state and govt land so forest and blm 

Please provide a link for the state camp fire permit requirements???

because as far as I can tell, it only applies to federally controlled lands, i.e. forest, BLM, etc.

Ocotillo Wells is state land and I've never heard of a camp fire permit being require there.

13 hours ago, Oracle said:

Please provide a link for the state camp fire permit requirements???

because as far as I can tell, it only applies to federally controlled lands, i.e. forest, BLM, etc.

Ocotillo Wells is state land and I've never heard of a camp fire permit being require there.

To quote my quote from the first post: "Campfire Permits are designed for use on federally controlled lands including those falling under the US Forest Service, National Park Service, and Bureau of Land Management, and private lands that are the property of another person. On private lands you must also have written permission from the landowner for campfire use. "

I'd say you are correct, no permit required on state land.  The rangers at OW are pretty helpful, I might give them a call just to make sure.  

The part of Ocotillo Wells east of pole line road is BLM land so they could get picky and require the permit for campfires there.

Way way back when I played fireman for the state campfires/warming fires were different than cooking fires. If people knew to have a hot dog with a coathanger stuck thru it when we showed up we couldn't do anything to them.

This may have changed ,check your local regulations.

Guest Jdawg

Holy rusted thread batman!

This is probably obvious, however, I’ll paste it anyway.

In ABSP:  Ground fires are not permitted. A container with metal sides and bottom must be used for all campfires.  Open ground fires are not permitted.

-Bring your own fire wood. Gathering or taking from any live, dead or downed vegetation is prohibited.