Sign in to follow this  
Wintyfresh

Sedlak Offroad School

Last month I was checking the Barona Oaks website to see which days the track was open when I spotted an ad for a motocross school. I've taken the Intermediate Training and Trials classes up at Motoventures, but haven't ever done anything focused on motocross so I signed up. 

The instructor is Daniel Sedlak, a motocross privateer from Germany who has been travelling the world racing and teaching the locals how to ride Motocross. A web search for his name shows him racing Supercross in Athens, Endurocross in Australia, and teaching in Kampala, Uganda. One of his students took last year's FIM Africa Motocross 85cc Championship. 

Saturday we had the track all to ourselves, providing the opportunity to focus on individual sections and stop for instruction. The class format was multiple segments of instruction, guided practice, and rest. We started with cornering techniques, then progressed into how to correctly ride motocross whoops and make the most of limited traction. Eventually we put it all together for some racing around the entire track. 

Daniel seems very accustomed to working with kids, which has given him both an incredible amount of patience and a knack for breaking down complex instructions into simple, easy to digest steps. Several students that receive personal instruction were at this class, and let me tell you those kids are fast! I started the day comparatively old, out of shape, and slow. I ended still comparatively old, completely exhausted, and significantly faster. Barona Oaks has asked him to come back and offer classes on a more regular basis and I strongly recommend signing up if you have any interest in riding Motocross, or just becoming a better rider in general. Towards winter he also offers classes out in the desert.

qeb21t2l.jpg

That's me in the back "Roosted by kids" section. 

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about getting my kids into something like this.