Sign in to follow this  
CVRick

Sport Touring bike

Is anyone familiar with the fjr 1300 ?  I am looking at A 2010 with 18,000 miles . Seems like it is A good bike , decent fit for what I am looking for . Any advice ?

3 minutes ago, CVRick said:

Is anyone familiar with the fjr 1300 ?  I am looking at A 2010 with 18,000 miles . Seems like it is A good bike , decent fit for what I am looking for . Any advice ?

Rad bike i borrowed one from old coworker for a day couple years ago was thinking about upgrading from a 2006 honda vfr800 i had at time and ended up keeping vfr. Fjr was little too big for my needs for commuting and short rides on weekends.

I had a 2005 FJR momentarily, got it with engine problems (98K miles)  and swapped a new/used motor into it and sold it to a friend.  

Lots of changes made over the years, 2010 has most of the good stuff done.  The engine is like a nuclear powerplant, smooth and surprising power.  

I think the 2010 only has a five speed....might be wrong but that was something I was scratching my head about....why no six speed?

Lots of guys use them for IBA rides, so that tells you something about their all day comfort.  

Shaft drive for ease of maintenance, 26k valve adjustments but it is a minor pain in the ass to get the valve cover off, at least it's not often.  

I already had my Tiger, otherwise I probably would have held onto the FJR because I thought it was a honey of a machine that would be great for week long adventures.

Great bike !

KTM 950/990 is a great sport tourer also, rips up the twisties, comfortable long distance...but chain drive. Quite different bikes, just sharing my experience.

I had an older '89 FJ1200, longest trip was 11,000 miles...I put 107,000 miles on that bike, it only had a 5 speed,  didn't need 6th...the FJR is more refined and of course modern. 

Laguna%2011%209-06%20003-L.jpg

TNTMO about covered the playbill.  Suspension needed an upgrade for anything beyond the LazyBoy mode.