Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

KTM 1090 R

They forgot to mention it is lighter than the 990.

Awesome stuff like direction ktm going never really liked the 1190 and 1290 platform, cant wait to see the actual specs of the 790?? 

9 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Awesome stuff like direction ktm going never really liked the 1190 and 1290 platform, cant wait to see the actual specs of the 790?? 

My opinion too. But lets not forget the 1190 and 1290 are just there to compete against the 1200 gs market.

The 1090 is refreshing in that it's intent is to be more of a predecessor to the 950/990. I'm still holding out for the smaller, lighter, twin cylinder weapon though.

I'm generally pleased with the 1190 R.

I'd like a little less nanny on the traction control, especially in sport mode.  I think they could ease up on the wheelie sensor quite a bit when the lean sensor shows that the bike is relatively upright.  Would be nice if sport mode would let you go a little more crazy while upright but still limit wheel spin when on the side of the tire.  It actually does little wheelies better in dirt mode with the HP limited to 100 than in sport mode where you get the full 160.  This is helpful when you're trying to loft the front end over some obstacle.

Instead, on the street a lot of the time I end up turning off traction control and riding it old school.  

On the dirt I noticed that in dirt mode, the TC kicks in a lot when you're riding over rough graded roads with little stutter bumps.  The wheel spins up as you hop a bit over the little bumps and TC cuts the power, then reenables after a little delay.  Kind of a weird surging.

The bike is a lot heavier than my 500 EXC and not something I feel comfortable riding down something much rougher than a reasonably well groomed fire road by myself.  Not because it won't do it, but because I'd rather not have to pick it up by myself, or worse yet, have it fall on me.

For me, the bike fits the bill for something where I can cruise on a highway for a few hours to get to the general area where I'd like to explore around a bit.  And, if with friends, the exploration can be over some rougher stuff.  I can also ride two up on the 1190 on the street very comfortably.

I don't like to ride the 500 EXC for more than a few miles on the street, and figured the 690 would be better than that, but still not something I'd feel comfortable on the street with for hours.  The 990 would be better, but then you're practically at the 1190, so . . . I got the 1190.

Still room in the garage for something in between ;-)  We'll see.

Mainly, the problem has been getting time off to ride at all :-(