I've been in/near San Diego for 12 years now and the farthest south I've ever been is Ensenada....on a cruise.  Which is weird because I grew up on the east coast watching every Baja race i could on TV dreaming of riding out there.   

Are there or have there been any Baja newb rides out there?  Anyone willing to take a Mexico rookie?  There is too much I don't know about the whole thing, from boarder crossings and all the routes and sites, that it's not something I want to just try on my own.  It's not the riding, it's just the logistics of the whole thing. Maybe I'm just not in the loop and it's all much easier then some people make it out to be, but I'd like to hear that from the experienced riders.  

Id like to start exploring out there some time this upcoming or next year.  

I'm a baja noob as well. I would be willing to join you, and I could help with logistics. 

I think the standard beginner ride would be a ride to Coyote Cal's hostel, which is due south of Ensenada. Mike's sky ranch is another option.

I'm in sort of the same boat, I have lived out here since 2009 and have flown further south a few times (Cabo, Cancun, a few places in the southern Baja) but I've never ridden down there. It's definitely something I want to take advantage of. If you get some sort of newbish ride going on I would be down!

Pretty much the same here. I've never ridden out in Baja, But I have taken a fair amount of trips to San Felipe, Ensenada, etc. I would love to join in. I do have a few buddies that ride Baja regularly that I'm sure I can get some advice from. Just need people to ride with. All the other trips I've been invited on never worked out. 

Hmmm?  Looks like I'm not alone on this one.  Maybe we can throw something together for ourselves for a weekend trip to one of the common newb visits, Sky ranch or coyote cals.  No idea on routes or what else is nearby to explore. 

Do you need a passport to enter and return?  Last time I went to Ensenada and TJ years ago I just crossed with a drivers license. I've got a feeling things may have changed.  

How about boarder crossings?  I hear bikes can get to the front of the lines???  What kind of paper work is required?  Just reg.?

Count me in. Been down a few times. Coyote Cals, Sawmill. Done a bit of riding around La Bufadora. Several Tecate trips to Santa Veroica.

You should have a passport card. Bike registration mandatory.

If trucking down your gas cans need to be empty, They want us buying their gas. Which is fine.Pemex Premium is good stuff.

Bring candy and motorcycle stickers to give to the kids. The people of Baja are so friendly.

Wow who knew that so many people jump on this?? Hopefully something materializes and a ride happens, I wish I could contribute something other than merely showing up and tagging along :rolleyes: I'm getting married at the end of June and my weekends are pretty much booked up until then but anything after that and I should be good ?

I'm down for a weekend trip. 

Something like:

Drive to Coyote Cals Early Saturday morning. Ride to San Quetin or similar. Return to truck Sunday and drive home. 

About my short lived experience... I've been to Baja several times by different means (RVs, Cars, ATVs) so I know some basic but interesting routes, must see spots along the length of Baja.  I am however also relatively new to adventure riding (off-road) on two wheels.  After some preparation (recent trip to Bay of LA other rather quick Baja lobster trips with buddies), I'm heading further south on a solo ride towards La Paz.  I plan to ride 400+ miles a day depending on the path I take, for six to nine days along the length of Baja and then, if time allows, I will try to take my bike to Mazatlan.  
 I thought if any of you are actually planning to head south this weekend, I would certainly like to take the opportunity to meet other new (or not so new riders) with Baja in their future.  Who knows depending on your plans, route maybe I can tag along for a short while or just share a meal.  If we ride a long for any part of the trip, we can always part ways when you decide to head back to the states somewhere along the path towards San Quintin or another option (if you are thinking about that route) anywhere towards San Felipe. 

I am currently planning to cross the Border at around 6:30 am on Saturday May 20, 2017 on my KLR 650.  It is not a dirt bike, it is also not that fast. I am not in a hurry, I plan to take my time which might seem ideal for newer riders.   I am not interested in rush rides, I am also not here to prove myself but rather enjoy what baja has to offer.  Note that I am also hauling campaign gear in case I decide to use it and some extra fuel so I won't be taking on rocky terrain/paths for this trip.  Something like the compadre trail, or paying a visit to Cooco's corner is acceptable/doable for sure.

Let me know who is up for some ride down any length of Baja this weekend, we can set up meeting point along the Border or further south depending on your current plans.  Otherwise I will share my trip report when I get back.   Hopefully it will not be boring and we can instead coincide on another trip down the baja in the future.  

Cross south in Tecate on bikes for dirt access.  Crossing north is very quick as you can split lanes easily and ride to the front.

Cross south in San Ysidro via truck for slab (take toll road).  Crossing north can be very long in a truck - on bikes splitting lanes with vendors isn't all that fun.

If trucking south across the border, they will check to see that the bike is registered to you and not stolen.  You likely won't be checked when simply riding across.

Best to have a copy of your vehicle/bike registration.  Best (maybe legally mandated) to have vehicle/bike insurance - bajabound, baja-mex, discoverbaja all sell it.  ymmv

If staying longer in Baja, look into the FMM https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Fuel range of 80-100 miles minimum is ideal (longer for big miles).  If off-road, anticipate rocks and possibly nails.  I've had 3 Baja flats - all from rusty nails used in construction.  I've heard 18/15 psi or 15/12 psi "mandatory" for baja rocks.  ymmv

Functioning headlight imho is mandatory - it's quite easy to get caught in the dark on long days even if returning via slab. 

Most every place takes dollars. Pemex will give you change in pesos if you pay in dollars.  I've been exchanging money ahead of time and paying everything in pesos and it's simplified things greatly.  ymmv.  Hostels such as Coyote Cals / Mikes take dollars. 

I've heard / read of more than a few trips where bikes have ended up in the back of a pickup truck.  A small tow strap / cord (to secure the bike) and some extra cash may be beneficial in requesting a ride to the border should a bike break.

Stickers / $5 / cigarettes can open gates or smooth interactions with guards.  ymmv

Bottled water and soda/gatorade work great.  Carry immodium "just in case"

While medical care in Baja is high quality, finding available resources to promptly rescue / attend to you while you are in a remote area may be difficult.  Be aware of this.  Spot Trackers, a 3x5" index card with your full name, contact info, emergency contact and insurance info is highly beneficial to carry with your passport (let your riding partners know where this is).  Don't crash.  Always be aware that every dirt road is a 2 way - even in the most remote sections.  I've been caught off guard.  Watch for cows / wild horses

I recommend https://www.californiatrailmap.com/ for travel in SoCal

I recommend http://cartografiagps.com/en/ for travel in Baja

ymmv on all of the above postings.  Baja is a fantastic place with great people.

Mandatory: show respect, slow down while riding through ranches / communities, wave to people, close gates behind you if they were closed when you arrived, tread lightly.

Goofy,
 thanks for all the info!  I will have to check out the baja GPS routes.

maybe we can get something together for a weekend trip, something like Ken mentioned.  I could do a over night rider pretty easy.  any ideas on good upcoming weekends?  maybe next month?  camp or a room? 

Ken, by "down for a weekend trip" you mean leading a bunch of rookies, right?  Ha.  Im sure if we get serious other baja vets may pop up....I hear this is a place that usually doesnt take a lot of convincing to get people to go.

I honestly dont have any reservations with going to any destination brought up.  Any place sounds better then work.  Maybe depends on what bikes would come along???  range or size dictate the route?

Goofy footer,

Thanks for all the info, I plan to add some immodium to my kit.  I'll also put together an index card as you suggest.       :)

Following.... Would love to join if this takes shape. Like most others on this thread I have baja camping and vacation experience but always drove to destinations. 

Did this ride ever materialize?

On 6/6/2017 at 7:07 AM, sdchronix said:

so when we making this SDAR Baja ride?

BRP is running....needs a good shakedown in mex.  I have Friday-Saturday off. Lets do an ensenada based ride. 

On 6/18/2017 at 9:47 PM, Reximus said:

BRP is running....needs a good shakedown in mex.  I have Friday-Saturday off. Lets do an ensenada based ride. 

Unfortunately Im broken again. This damn 450 just wants to kill me since I bought the KTM. Broken collar bone

4 hours ago, sdchronix said:

Unfortunately Im broken again. This damn 450 just wants to kill me since I bought the KTM. Broken collar bone

Dammit!

Rob,

Not to be a little bitch, but it's a wee hot right now or I'd take you down for a fun weekend. Tim knows some great rides, too.

PM coming.

Senor Daniel Diego

bringing this one back from the dead. 

Goofy Footer, I missed the last ride you invited me to.  Are you still doing somewhat regular trips down south?

Anyone interested in trying to do a weekend trip in the next month or so? 

Since I posted this, I have been down to cabo...on a plane.  still never anywhere in baja on a bike.