Sign in to follow this  
Wintyfresh

Motoventures Trials Class

Last September I picked up a 2004 Gas Gas TXT 280 Pro, and over the winter I spent a lot of lunch breaks and afternoons practicing riding it. For my birthday my wife signed me up for the trials class at Motoventures; previously we'd taken his level 2 course. This morning I loaded up the bike and headed up to Anza to learn some new skills and build some confidence. 

The class size was small, just a few other riders who were also CMSP instructors. Unsurprisingly I was the only one riding their own bike; the others got some brand spankin' new Gas Gas 250 Contacts. The first exercise was fairly typical; slow speed cornering while standing focusing on counter-balancing and keeping ones shoulders aligned with the bars. Things quickly ramped up, with the next exercise practicing those same skills on tight, technical, sometimes off-camber hillsides.

Once we had the hang of this (or more accurately knew what we were supposed to be doing) we practiced wheelies and bunny hops. I'd always struggled with the latter, but after a bit of instruction I had the knack for it. With this knowledge we moved on to the part I'd really been looking for; riding over rocks. My property consists of two and a half acres of mostly rocks in Ramona, so I was thrilled to learn the correct technique for doing a double-blip to get up and over taller, steeper rock faces. Eventually I picked out a few too far above my skill level and crashed several times, but with trials you  just dust yourself off, straighten the bars if necessary, and give it another go. 

This was followed by a trail ride, something I'd never had the opportunity to do on a trials bike. It was incredibly fun, and I'd take the occasional detour to try my skills on a choice piece of granite. Gary showed us the lines the experts had just taken at El Trial De Espana. We were then given free reign to have fun in the Motoventures training compound, with Gary occasionally pulling us aside to provide tips and feedback. At the end of the class I piloted the trials bike over to his small motocross track and had more fun than is perhaps reasonable jumping it. 

When I got home I unloaded the bike and put what I had learned to use. Sections that had previously seemed impossible were now well within my reach; I found some new lines and conquered obstacles I'd been unable to master. I'd originally picked up the trials bike with the intention of improving my skills on the bigger bikes, but I'm now strongly considering competing with the local club. Can't say enough good things about the Motoventures Trials class!

https://motoventures.com/package/moto-trials-riding-and-training/

Good fun. I just got an email from Motoventures that they're selling off some of the older bikes. There's an older Sherco that is tempting me. I don't ride any of my bikes enough so I have to resist. 

17 minutes ago, La Mesa Mike said:

Can you share the list and prices?

Screenshot_2017-05-09-10-02-25.png