Greenhorn

79 and S2 Yesterday 3-12-2017 & Desert Wild Flowers

There was a 4 mile+ backup (westbound) at Intersection of 79 and S2 (the power station) yesterday at about 1:00 PM. We were going east and turned left to head down Montezuma Valley Road and the backup extended further east past that. So westbound S2 was 100% backed up from the 79 to beyond Montezuma Valley Road exit. Lots of people were using the open space on the north side of the intersection as by pass for northbound 79 as it was mostly the left turn holding things up. 

Seriously though a or two person directing traffic and a few heads up for slowing signs  just prior to the Intersection of 79 and S2 could have alleviated a lot of the issue.

Our trip down Montezuma Valley Road was slow but enjoy able, since it was slow it was a chance to take in the sights and look at the some of the flowers along the road side, wave to people passing, have a snack, we had a good time on the way down. Once in the valley it was busy, but not too bad. We made our way out to Henderson Canyon Rd and there were lots of flowers.

We left about 4:00 PM or so and about 4:30 PM there was still a (west bound) backup at the Intersection of 79 and S2, but only a mile or so and it moved decently. For us the worst traffic issue was the 67 construction snafu at the south end of Ramona. Funny thing is the sign said completion scheduled for 2016.

It was hot and not sure if that is going to be the go forward which might diminish the off road and flower folks, but it was a tough drive home fora lot of people yesterday. That said, due to our timing we had a great trip. I have some nice flower pictures I’ll try and post later.

We drove through Henderson Canyon on our way home from the river........wow, the area was packed when we drove through at ~4pm........best colors were about ~2 miles south of the intersection with S22........we got caught in the backup at S2/79........moved along fairly well........maybe a ~15 minute delay........

I prefer the colors/vegetation on the south end of Old Borrego Springs Rd. near the intersection with 78 .....once it intersects with the pole line road there's a lot of nice color/scenery along the pole line Rd........blooming cactus not just wild flowers......not suitable for a passenger car......

I plan on driving out tomorrow in my SUV and doing  Mine Wash to the Kumeyaay Village Site then take Old Borrego Valley Road. Any other areas that should be at the top of my list?

CiD

Dan Rider and I headed to Joshua Tree, via Borrego Springs, yesterday. The desert wildflowers were in full bloom and the craziness was, too. I've never seen traffic like that on the Montezuma Grade. The bumper to bumper traffic started in Ranchita and didn't end until almost the airport. To give you an idea of how bad it was, there was over two miles of cars waiting to turn left at the Ranchita westbound/79 junction. 

Going down the grade, a dozen or so bikes were riding along the right edge...and we joined in. The cars stuck in traffic were not happy and were not moving to make it any easier for us. A big HD fell over, tossing his saldals, shorts and halter top-clad passenger onto the road. Didn't seem too bad. #ATGATT, baby.

Carlee's was to be our first stop but it was packed.  The entire town was undergoing mass insanity.

Saw lots of purple and yellow wildflowers everywhere but I understand the best is yet to come.

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

Sounds like you were there early. Some pictures.

These end up hawk food.

IMG_9706.JPG

Henderson Rd Looking NE I guess.

IMG_9716.JPG

I liked this flowers and cactus

IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

Desert is a tough place : (

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9704.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

Great photos!

Poor little frog...

14 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

We drove through Henderson Canyon on our way home from the river........wow, the area was packed when we drove through at ~4pm........best colors were about ~2 miles south of the intersection with S22........we got caught in the backup at S2/79........moved along fairly well........maybe a ~15 minute delay........

I prefer the colors/vegetation on the south end of Old Borrego Springs Rd. near the intersection with 78 .....once it intersects with the pole line road there's a lot of nice color/scenery along the pole line Rd........blooming cactus not just wild flowers......not suitable for a passenger car......

Like This !

P1060039.JPG

My wife and I took our Honda CRV down Grapevine and Culp Valley on Saturday.  Not as many flowers, but still really nice and a hell of a lot less visitors.  Went into BS, but turned around after seeing the crowds.  People, too many people.