Bagstr

Arroyo Seca del Diablo - Campout March 25

Friday Edit 10:15 AM -  Campout Cacelled --   The Wind Forecast is escalating to 25-30 mph with Gust up to 45 overnight. I will be evaluating a Re-schedule the following Saturday April 1st.  Hard to ask folks to travel out there on a hope and a prayer. Keep your bags packed and we will see what the weather is next week. 

Bagstr

P.S. -   Hey Paul,  Glad we got out there Tuesday. 

Edit Thursday :   Regarding Fuel -  You Dualsporters riding down from the City. At the trailhead you will find a White Honda Ridgeline with a Joe Hauler rail out back. I will have  5 gal of fuel in the bed for your use. Hopefully at least one more will bring another jug. 

P10103731000w-L.jpg

Edit Wednesday Morning 0800:      Note the revised "Diablo Camp" GPX map at the bottom of this post.  Paul may post a track as well from the parking area.

PMB and I did the final recon Tuesday and located a good campsite that meets the "Remote" concept but is still easily accessible.  The wash has one small rocky section that stops 90% of the explorers.  :)    Anyone contemplating a truck or SUV,  I would say High Clearance 4 wheel drive to be safe. The two track continues beyond our camp another half mile to where it narrows to walking width. High Clearance two wheel drive if you feel comfortable driving the normal Arroyo Seca del Diablo from Carrizo Wash north to the Diablo Drop. Our track is no worse sand wise except to the small rock section.

Soo, This is self supported:  You will need Saturday lunch and dinner, Sunday breakfast. You will be at least an hour from any services ( food & fuel ).  The tent sites are smooth water flowed sand/gravel.  There is some talk of rain Saturday in town, but the borrego is expecting dry 73f ish and low 50s overnight. bring some warm clothes and a rain jacket in case we get a few sprinkles. Personally, I will be enjoying the cool conditions as we see the last of the pleasant desert season come to a close.  There are SNAKES and creepy things out in the desert, so bring a headlamp and decent shoes for hiking around in the night! I will be using a tent and light bedroll. 

We rode down Diablo Drop to Fish Creek and back to check that as an access. The Drop is definitely 4 wheel high clearance with a few pot holes at the top but other wise the sand was not too powdery. 

Those navigating with maps: Traveling north in Arroyo Seca del Diablo from the South Carrizo; as you arrive at the Diablo Drop intersection with the sign as pictured in a post below this one; continue north a couple of hundred yards and reach a wye intersection. Take the wash to the right heading more northerly. This is Diablo wash.  I piled ten or so rocks at the wash entrance ( left side ). There are no signs at this junction. The left two track connects to Tapiado if you want to enter from that direction. Camp is a couple of miles north. 

All You Campers -- I have a Remote Campout scheduled for Saturday March 25.  Does not require long miles of pavement or skipping work. Does require moderate sand skills and a sleeping mat.  Location is 90% of the way to The Top of canyon Arroyo Seca del Diablo. Camp site is on the firm sandy bottom of the wash, framed by 40ft shoulders of the Badlands.  Nearby areas to explore:  Diablo Drop to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon/ Hapaha Flats, in addition the Cut-across between Tapiado and Diablo. 

Two or Four legged camp chairs are a requirement as adult beverages will be present.

Bagstr is In

i-HnC9HNM-L.jpg

i-g3FWS38-L.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13ZUcwbLEBACMSUH-MgMEaaiGmEY&usp=sharing

These locations are all inside ABDSP and require plated bikes, street legal. Dry camp, no fuel on route. Any fires will be required to be in metal container.  Leave No Trace please,  as we all want to leave the Magic as we found it.

Bagstr

Diablo Camp.GPX

I'm a possible maybe

bags, are you staging your vehicle there.

" Are you staging vehicle there? "

No, staging truck South Carrizo Creek Road at the Tamarisk informal camp.  First post updated with Google Map. I will follow up with GPS Waypoints when camp finalized.   Approaching from Borrego Springs, you may choose to ride up Diablo Drop from Fish Creek.

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

" Are you staging vehicle there? "

No, staging truck South Carrizo Creek Road at the Tamarisk informal camp.  First post updated with Google Map. I will follow up with GPS Waypoints when camp finalized.   Approaching from Borrego Springs, you may choose to ride up Diablo Drop from Fish Creek.

Is this a catered event?

" Is this a catered event? "          Yes,,definitely.  You are in charge of Cliff Bars for everyone. 

" Dancing? "                                        Yes,,  you can count on it after 10:30PM

Bagstr,   Definitely a Possible Maybe    B)

Finally figured how to attach the GPX file,   See if it opens for you.

I would really like to attend, especially because of the dancing, and the fact that it will be catered. But bike will still be in pieces. Installing 390 big bore kit and parts won't be back in time. Next one.

5 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Finally figured how to attach the GPX file,   See if it opens for you.

Yup. I see waypoints.

Heading Down to South Carrizo Creek TUESDAY,  to recon the campsite in the Upper Seca del Diablo. Showing Up at the Tamarisk Trees Dry Camp 0830.

Three to four hours of scouting around, then back to trucks. Tuesday forecast is 79F and Breezy. Saturday estimate is 74F calmness daytime and 54F overnight.

Working on Minimum of equipment for Saturday; Ground cloth, air pad, light bedroll, tent, Freeze Dried dinner, granola breakfast. Will pre-pack with one big dry bag, while trying to stay with the Mojave saddle bags vs the Coyote. Probably give in to the large back-back to carry "liquids".

Bags - Getting Packed

Tuesday Recon:  Final Camp Waypoint

P10103811000w-L.jpg

P10103741000w-L.jpg

7/8s of the way to the Top of Arroyo Seca del Diablo

P10103781000w-L.jpg

The Only issue is camp sing led by,,

P10103861000w-L.jpg

P10103871000w-L.jpg

Waypoint map updated Wednesday

P10103831000w-L.jpg

Dave I don,t know if I am going on this . Undecided .

Amgems,  Talk someone into loaning you a bike!

Kug,   Hey we are up in the flowers with ridges to block out what passes for civilization. Just a sliver of moon for a great sky. Easy access to hike the surrounding plateau.

14 hours ago, Bagstr said:

P10103861000w-L.jpg

Would like to, but just can't swing it this time.

Is Paul holding a kitten? So sweet.

I don't GPS, so will try to get this stuff laid out on my compass.  Will be two wheeling it from Lemon Grove out there and back. 

Dual sport-yeah! 

Just now, tntmo said:

I don't GPS, so will try to get this stuff laid out on my compass.  Will be two wheeling it from Lemon Grove out there and back. 

Dual sport-yeah! 

Which way are you dropping down the Mtn.?  I might be in on this one. If so, from Descanso I'll drop down off 79 to Oriflamme and connect with S2, then head south to the Vallecito Creek turn off.

I don't know, I never plan too far ahead.....usually just go where my front wheel takes me.