trcooperone

Time for an upgrade

First off I want to thank SDAR for a great desert dash. It was my first time out and I had a blast!!

So my dad and I where the crazy guys on tw200s at the dash this year. It was challenging and we did not make it the whole way but we had a great time and everyone was very helpful, friendly and... sympathetic 

lots of comments like, "you guys are crazy" "I can't believe you rode that" 

I was heavily influenced by many of you I met that a different choice in bike would be wise for next year.

I am currently not able to go out a buy a new machine and start to rip it up in the dirt. We are a single income home and I have three kids so money is spent very wisely and carefully. So the idea would be to ask for your advice and expertise on a suitable upgrade for the future.

I don't want to sell my TW so the idea would be to save all my pennies to buy something else in a year or two but maybe I could be convinced to separate from the TW.

I have found my biggest hurdle is I am vertically challenged and on a good day I am 5'7". My dad is about the same height as myself so we gravitated towards the TWs.

We love the bikes but they are not for serious riding and if we want to have even more enjoyable time at dashes in years to come I need to start saving for an upgrade.

I will also add that my budget is small, not much over 2k and only up to 3k if I sold the TW. I know that is limiting but I don't need new and fancy just dependable and fun.

So calling all my vertically challenged friends, what do you ride!!

IMG_3793.JPG

shop for a used CRF250L.......low seat/low entry cost

Good for you guys.  Just so you know, I have a couple of friends who rely on the TWs for many of their all day adventures.  TWs are best suited for moseying, but probably not the best choice for open desert.

I had a TW (wish I never sold it) and it was just a fun bike; you couldn't ride it without smiling! 

Good luck with your search!

Yup agree with crawdaddy crf250l or if cant find any in budget maybe the crf230

My wife's 5'4" and rides a DRZ400 and a YZ250... both lowered by George @ Suspension 101. I'd add the DR350 to the list. 

My wife's first bike was a CRF230L. Fun bike but 14 horsepower just doesn't go that far. The CRF250L adds 10 more hp, but also another 50 lbs, making it as heavy as the DRZ400S. 

Husky TE250/TE310 were offered in a low version or can be lowered pretty easily, but will be closer to the high side of your budget.

CRF230F that has been plated is a good choice, maybe hard to find and again will probably cost more.  Better bike than the 230L in my opinion, lighter and more powerful.

Plated KLX300R or a KLX250.....they have three inch lowering links available and are good bikes.

Go sit on a few fullsized bikes, and I have a feeling you won't be as uncomfortable as you think you would be. Yes, you can also lower them as well if needed. I picked up a 2007 WR450 (in your price range) to compliment my XR250L, and never rode the 250 again so I went ahead and sold that. Don't be scared of the larger displacement 4 strokes. The weight is similar, and power delivery is so linear you can be as smooth as you want, but the power is there when you feel like stepping it up. 

A close friend rides a CR500, and he's the same height as you.

Thank you for all the I nformation and suggestions!! I like larger cc bikes. Last month I was in Northern California and my cousin has two yz450fs and I rode that at prairie city all day and had a blast! The only issue was the height on anything other than flat ground. They didn't have electric start so my biggest issue was kick starting the bike.

I guess if I could get one of those bigger cc bikes lower a few inches it would be ideal but I have not heard many good things about lowering links.

Keep the TDubs. If you can afford something larger cc there are many options. Shop around when you are ready I always find good deals. I love my little TDub. You can lower almost any bike/seat to fit

TW200.jpeg

The plan is the keep the TW, I really do love that bike and it is a good back up and loaner when friends come riding.

I plan on saving up my pennies and hopefully next year buy a bike that can handle more (like complete the dash). The general vibe is that the 400cc range is a great fit and there are a few bike that fall close to that size. 

I will keep researching the wr450, klx, and drz bikes. Those seem to be the most common and affordable.

I have a KLX250s that is bored to 331. Very fun but heavy for its size if you ask me. Mine is actually lowered with koubalinks but I plan on changin that as I am 6' on any given sunday. PM me if you want to try a lowered KLX before you decide to buy a new bike

Just now, StealthDingo said:

I have a KLX250s that is bored to 331. Very fun but heavy for its size if you ask me. Mine is actually lowered with koubalinks but I plan on changin that as I am 6' on any given sunday. PM me if you want to try a lowered KLX before you decide to buy a new bike

Thank you very much!! I will try and get in touch and meet up. I unfortunately work opposite most everyone else. Nights and weekends...

Ill keep in touch!

I'm your height and ride a WR450 with 1" lowered suspension and a Seat Concepts seat. 

A lighter bike with more power and skinny/regular tires will handle quite different than the TW (I owned one too).  The suspension on modern bikes is so much better you'll just hit obstacles without thinking.  The TWs are fun, I rode mine from Ramona to the top of Big Bear and back without issue but they aren't much fun in the open desert sand when riding with dirtbikes. 

I rode a DRZ with Gel Seat (1" lower?) for years and it was a great height.  My current WR is great as well.  $2000 does limit you some in regards to newer plated bikes but you can find an electric start DR350 for that.  $3000 really opens up more buying options.  I have a 2005 WR450 plated with low miles for $3000 - that's a rocketship compared to your TW but I'd recommend checking out as many bikes as possible before buying.  I see you're in Santee.  Maybe you can ride my current WR around the neighborhood sometime while I terrorize the streets on the Dub

25 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

I'm your height and ride a WR450 with 1" lowered suspension and a Seat Concepts seat. 

A lighter bike with more power and skinny/regular tires will handle quite different than the TW (I owned one too).  The suspension on modern bikes is so much better you'll just hit obstacles without thinking.  The TWs are fun, I rode mine from Ramona to the top of Big Bear and back without issue but they aren't much fun in the open desert sand when riding with dirtbikes. 

I rode a DRZ with Gel Seat (1" lower?) for years and it was a great height.  My current WR is great as well.  $2000 does limit you some in regards to newer plated bikes but you can find an electric start DR350 for that.  $3000 really opens up more buying options.  I have a 2005 WR450 plated with low miles for $3000 - that's a rocketship compared to your TW but I'd recommend checking out as many bikes as possible before buying.  I see you're in Santee.  Maybe you can ride my current WR around the neighborhood sometime while I terrorize the streets on the Dub

That sounds like a plan to me, thanks for the offer and suggestions!

Hey Cooper Pa and son.   I just saw this post and was pleased to see it knowing that that I intentionally hammered away on you both (as your neighbor at the Desert Dash in the white camper next to you :)  ) to upgrade to more cc's for more fun in the open desert.  Lots of good folks on this site that will help guide your thoughts.  If I can help, let me know.  Cheers.  Mac.