alyeska

Borrego springs to plaster city back easy pace Tues 2/28

Plan on meeting at Christmas circle in Borrego springs at 0900 and heading into the desert east of Borrego, exiting at  ocotillo wells where we will jump on at split mtn rd. and ride along the tracks to plaster city.  At plaster city we will head to ocotillo (pavement to save time) for lunch and beverages then head towards canyon sin nombre where we will enter and ride into fish creek and come out at split mtn and back to 78 then Borrego. This is a full day ride and will require refueling at ocotillo. Plan on a slow easy pace, (shoulder healing) just going to enjoy getting there. big bike friendly because of pace, I will be on a drz 400. Bring tubes and plenty of water. Ride will happen rain or shine and will not be cancelled.  

Sounds like a fun loop. Wish I could pull off a Tuesday. Make it a little more exciting by taking a left at Fish Creek... :-)

I thought about that, but then big bikes like my klr might not like it.

3 hours ago, alyeska said:

I thought about that, but then big bikes like my klr might not like it.

KLRs love that Fish Creek. Make it Weds and I'll be able to join in. 

My last experience on the big bike on the track trail encourages me to encourage you to select a different route. Deep sand the entire way, not an ounce of fun.

Possible terrain change because of the rain, but that route is sonething I'll avoid forever.

There is a way around the deep sandy area or you can ride near the tracks to avoid it, its only less than a half mile of sandy soft stuff, I don't think its going to be a problem tomorrow since it rained all day here, mud might be more of the issue now.  Im guessing your not a sand rider!

20 minutes ago, alyeska said:

There is a way around the deep sandy area or you can ride near the tracks to avoid it, its only less than a half mile of sandy soft stuff, I don't think its going to be a problem tomorrow since it rained all day here, mud might be more of the issue now.  Im guessing your not a sand rider!

Again, it's been a while since I rode that stretch, but I do promise I'm not without some ability. Last time I rode the silt beds were significantly longer than 1/2 mile, and very few ways to avoid it. It was not my first time on that section. And we agree the rain will change the experience.

I guess  a big bike to me is a fully loaded klr 650. I used to ride into OW from san diego that way after work on Fridays when I lived in town and never thought anything about it, but I have been sand riding most of my life, I should take into account some folks lack of experience in the soft stuff and call this an intermediate ride. All the rain recently has changed that area drastically, I don't think I will be worrying about anyone getting through I will probably be riding solo in the morning, After the rain today I am sitting the pressure washer out before I leave in the morning.

I was just there last weekend. I spent 4 days riding the area and logged over 300 miles. The riding conditions were epic. Wish I could make it.

It will be epic muddy tomorrow that is for sure! it rained solid all day today.

Like to join in, but tied up on Tuesday. Post up again if you'll do anything similar in the near future. My son & I rode Plaster City & Superstition all weekend. Conditions were perfect, had a blast.  

Ride report plaster city. Best riding in 20 yrs, the rain had created a perfect ride, very little mud and the trail was perfect, we left ow and hit the trail towards plaster city, we passed 2 sand areas on 4/10 mile the other 3/10 mile (enclosed photos of area) both were like the 805 from the all night rain, we ran 60-70 mph across from ow to superstition it took 37 minutes from blacktop to blacktop that's an all time record for me. We then headed to the lazy lizard for lunch and beverages, rose who owns the place is very off roader friendly and made us a great pizza. After leaving the lizard we headed towards canyon sin nombre where we discovered awesome riding conditions with no dust and a firm damp base to ride on all the way to diablo drop, at diablo we entered into fish creek where we found littlw mud and exited back onto spit mountain road stopping at the door for beverages. I want to thank the local ow riders who went along with me, we had a great time and an epic ride.

superstition 2017 007.JPG

superstition_2017_005.JPG

superstition 2017 006.JPG

superstition 2017 012.JPG

superstition_2017_015.JPG

superstion_videp_2017_008.JPG

superstition_2017_009.JPG