Goofy Footer

WR250R - Lightweight Adventuring ?

I'm highly considering a stock WR250R for a multi-day solo ride with some considerable backcountry slab thrown in the mix.  Total mileage would be 2,000+

Being quiet and having a 6speed gearbox goes a long way.  When combined with it's fuel efficiency and a 4.7gallon IMS tank the WRR would have considerable mileage.  At this point I consider it a better option for This trip than my WR450F.  I thought about a DR650 but want lighter / better stock suspension.  A DR350 would be a fair alternative but older and less refined. 

I'm not certain I'd keep the bike long term - I may just buy it for the trip and sell it soon(ish) after [unless I fall in love with the bike]. 

Does anybody currently own one or have past experiences?  I have never ridden one and would like to take one down the block before I make a potential long drive to shop for one. 

IMS 4.7 and Giant Loop would be an ideal setup.  Seat Concepts seat and LED lighting to top it off.

Yamaha-WR250R-project-studio-l.jpg?itok=

Big Dog on ADV has put over 50,000 miles touring with his WRR including thousands of Baja miles.  He recently 'upgraded' to a new KTM 350 after years of riding the WRR (still owns the WRR though).

AK%20007.JPG

Good stuff i was considering one of those before i bought my husaberg 570 just for its reliability and ease of use, 

Funny also my cousin just bought one a month ago and plans on riding to east coast all slab and returning on trans american trail this summer on his wrr

Any idea how much he paid and/or the condition of the bike?

They seem to be priced absurdly high on the used market.  Not sure if the sellers get what they are asking but who knows if there is the demand..

No idea bone stock besides cheap handguards and seat concepts seat. Think has under 5k miles was used for commuting.

One of main reasons i didnt buy too was very high used price as well almost msrp for used bike with 10kmiles and basic mods

One thing you don't need is another bike.....IJS.

On 1/30/2017 at 3:48 PM, tntmo said:

One thing you don't need is another bike.....IJS.

Absolutely.  I'd consider just renting a bike for the trip!

Just an fyi Goofy, last summer while riding the BDR CO, I passed one loaded up and rode alongside another loaded up.  I had a chat with both fellas (because it was what I was initially shopping for as a light weight adventure bike - but given my body weight (much more than yours) and my disease of overpacking (likely much more than you do), decided to get a few more cc to pull me and my suitcases up the steeper grades). They had their bikes for quite sometime and had no intention of getting a bigger bike.  They just cruised along nicely with the mind set of simply cruising along without needing to zip zam zoom bam bam all the time.  They were happy and the fella I had just passed going the opposite direction was elated that he had just called upon all the 250cc's to scoot by a big bear :) . As you made reference to,......  quiet,  smooth, 6 speed, etc.  sure are nice, and you have extensive yamaha knowledge,  and yep, they seem to have high used market value.  Maybe you can find a hefty fella who will trade 450 for 250.  Good luck. 

I loved my WR250R.......but I made the mistake of adding a fuel programmer........raced it in the Kings of the West Rally........sustained full throttle all day.........blew the engine up (too lean?).......added a 290 kit........blew the engine up again..........relying on the internet for FMS fuel programmer settings was NOT a good idea............I think it's a fine bike for a touring rig but I'd advise to NOT screw around with the engine based on past experience........just carry a couple of different front sprockets......

I owned one, was good for the cost, it's low in power but had enough to get by, a few things. If you take it to elevation you are really really low on power, I regeared it for altitude, if I can remember I went up 5 on the rear.  It worked but speaking from experience, you you add luggage and weigh a decent amount,  change the rear shock or already revolve it.  The rebound has no control resulting in a vicious wobble the will throw you off at 65mph.

Other than that. I rode mine like I stole it every time I rode it.  Full digital throttle.  

The oversized luggage helped the wheelies. Lol

20160820_003625.jpg

• Like 1

Bumping this thread for old time’s sake and updated WR250R experiences.

Is anybody riding one?

I'm sorry, but I don't get it...these bikes are around 300 lbs and they don't have much power.

To me, there's so many better choices...but I know some people swear by these.

Reliable, fuel efficient, decent enough suspension, long maintenance intervals.  

Don’t always need the lightest and most high tech machine to get it done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Reliable, fuel efficient, decent enough suspension, long maintenance intervals.  

Don’t always need the lightest and most high tech machine to get it done.

I'd rather go with an old, reliable DR350.

26 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

I'd rather go with an old, reliable DR350.

Same idea, but you can still get parts for the Yamaha.

Well I still have my WR250R. It has been a great bike with zero issues through 4k miles. That said, it will be for sale soon. Tons of extrad and adventure ready, just add luggage. All stock parts included.

045BF0C9-196A-42E7-8F18-B689A2696A64.jpeg

0CAFD522-0447-4227-8677-A97BD9859017.jpeg

3D8F6656-B5E9-459C-A029-DDB438DA40C1.jpeg

E3D234E9-60D7-4CE8-B16B-46030CD83823.jpeg

I outfitted one for an adventure, yeah the power is down but its fast enough for offroad.  Mine almost killed me though. The rear suspension's lack of rebound control creates nasty death wobbles.  I was in CO and just going down a gravel road it went into a vicious wobble and according to my GPS I high sided at 64mph.  We were higher altitude so there was no power left to accelerate or of it.   I broke multiple ribs, punctured lung ruptured spleen, full dislocated shoulder, broken nose, big gash at the bridge of my nose.  Stayed in the ER for a few days fighting with the doc becuase they wanted to remove my spleen.  It ended up stopping bleeding so I kept it.  I have 30 years racing MX and got too complacent with the bike moving around and it bit me hard.  If I was to do it again, the 1st mod would be a full mod on there shock and a steering stabilizer.  Other than that it's a great affordable bike.  My friends on husky 701s and ktm 690s could not keep up with me when we hit even moderate offloading.  On the street,  they waited on me and passing cars was a strategic move due to the sever lack of power (especially at elevation)  mine was also uncorked and regeared to match to the power

8 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Well I still have my WR250R. It has been a great bike with zero issues through 4k miles. That said, it will be for sale soon. Tons of extrad and adventure ready, just add luggage. All stock parts included.

Great looking bike. Warp9 wheels and JNS Baja Designs Squadron mount?

Why are you selling? 

28 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

I outfitted one for an adventure, yeah the power is down but its fast enough for offroad.  Mine almost killed me though. The rear suspension's lack of rebound control creates nasty death wobbles.  I was in CO and just going down a gravel road it went into a vicious wobble and according to my GPS I high sided at 64mph.  We were higher altitude so there was no power left to accelerate or of it.   I broke multiple ribs, punctured lung ruptured spleen, full dislocated shoulder, broken nose, big gash at the bridge of my nose.  Stayed in the ER for a few days fighting with the doc becuase they wanted to remove my spleen.  It ended up stopping bleeding so I kept it.  I have 30 years racing MX and got too complacent with the bike moving around and it bit me hard.  If I was to do it again, the 1st mod would be a full mod on there shock and a steering stabilizer.  Other than that it's a great affordable bike.  My friends on husky 701s and ktm 690s could not keep up with me when we hit even moderate offloading.  On the street,  they waited on me and passing cars was a strategic move due to the sever lack of power (especially at elevation)  mine was also uncorked and regeared to match to the power

I’ve seen mention of the rear shock issues. Did you rebuild the shock? Do you still have the bike?

Good info about off road WR vs the 690/701. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Great looking bike. Warp9 wheels and JNS Baja Designs Squadron mount?

Why are you selling? 

I bought a skinny bike (Beta) for dirt work and planning on adding a Tenere T700 when they arrive for longer adventure rides. Yes on the JNS and W9 wheels. Also has Power Commander, 3 and 4.7 gal tanks, Suspension 101 boingers, Trail Tech Voyager and more..Interested?

No the bike got totaled .  I just resprung it for my weight.  I dumped thousands into it and skimped on the revalve becuase I though, no big deal it's just fire roads and truck trails. Not a motocross track.

I built a 2018 and rode it to Arkansas I loved it, especially once I got to Arkansas (bentonville) and rode the ozarks, I will admit passing on highways was a bitch and wind from trucks sucked ( literally) but it was a fun death defying experience, I sold that bike back to dealer though on another one since I didn’t trust selling it to a friend after that long run. 

3 hours ago, alyeska said:

I built a 2018 and rode it to Arkansas I loved it, especially once I got to Arkansas (bentonville) and rode the ozarks, I will admit passing on highways was a bitch and wind from trucks sucked ( literally) but it was a fun death defying experience, I sold that bike back to dealer though on another one since I didn’t trust selling it to a friend after that long run. 

That’s rad! Any picks of your bike / the trip?

Only photo on my phone I can find, this was just before I left. Funny, I sold that trailer to a member and bought the green quad from a member. 

A99B4560-DAA8-4822-8D79-BC35949FC7CF.jpeg