RobATK94

New project

While I was hunting for a project bike I stumbled on a deal just couldn't pass.   I was looking for a smaller vintage enduro but I was told about an 04 KLR650 that needed some help out in Lancaster.  Have always been intrigued about all those die hard KLR guys and figured I should try the cool aid.   Paid a couple hundred buck for the bike and realized under the dirt and dust it's decked out pretty well.  It's been parked for 4 years, has 30k on the odometer.   Happy trails pannier racks, pelican side cases, Lexx pipe, cogent Moab shock, Sargent seat, desert tank, progressive springs in the forks, windshield, handguards, home made skid plate, tool tube and a few other things.  Spray painted black.  Fairing is modified a bit, looks like he cut a section out and added some plastic plates to get the windshield more vertical. 

Ive got it torn down to adjust the valves now.  Next I have to mess with the wiring...looks like there were once aux lights, manual fan switch and maybe some other accessories. I see empty fuse block and a lot of butt connectors and spliced wires just hanging around.  

I dont have a front fender.  What are all the cool kids running?  Any front fenders from other bike bolt right up?  I'm going to pull, the carb tomorrow to clean it up, anything I need to pay extra attention to while I'm in there?

Should be a fun project 

image.jpeg

If they did the Moab shock, there may be Cogent Dynamics DDC's in the forks, too. If you get to servicing that, Rick and crew at Cogent have treated me well.

Congrats! Plenty of KLR folks here to guide ya and "Eagle Mike" (I think) is local for all things KLR.

I've had two KLR's, gotta say I'm sort of jealous of the deal you go there.   Wish you good luck on her! 

1 hour ago, RobATK94 said:

While I was hunting for a project bike I stumbled on a deal just couldn't pass.   I was looking for a smaller vintage enduro but I was told about an 04 KLR650 that needed some help out in Lancaster.  Have always been intrigued about all those die hard KLR guys and figured I should try the cool aid.   Paid a couple hundred buck for the bike and realized under the dirt and dust it's decked out pretty well.  It's been parked for 4 years, has 30k on the odometer.   Happy trails pannier racks, pelican side cases, Lexx pipe, cogent Moab shock, Sargent seat, desert tank, progressive springs in the forks, windshield, handguards, home made skid plate, tool tube and a few other things.  Spray painted black.  Fairing is modified a bit, looks like he cut a section out and added some plastic plates to get the windshield more vertical. 

Ive got it torn down to adjust the valves now.  Next I have to mess with the wiring...looks like there were once aux lights, manual fan switch and maybe some other accessories. I see empty fuse block and a lot of butt connectors and spliced wires just hanging around.  

I dont have a front fender.  What are all the cool kids running?  Any front fenders from other bike bolt right up?  I'm going to pull, the carb tomorrow to clean it up, anything I need to pay extra attention to while I'm in there?

Should be a fun project 

image.jpeg

1st thing. Make sure the doohickey has been replaced. Check with Eagle Mike in El Cajon for upgrades. http://www.eaglemike.com/

You might want to attend his Tech day coming up January 21st.

Nice find, have fun with your project. Dandiego and Slaugo, I believe are both KLR  Aficionados. 

I have a KLR, it's pretty new and I haven't done much to it yet. That said I've noticed at higher speed and when it's windy the front end feels real light. I've felt this solo and riding two up. I've also read others suggesting the same and that the fender shape might be a contributing factor especially it being up high?

My plan soon is a fork brace and move the fender low. I read with modest modification you can reuse the stock fender or I think there is a suggested semi generic replacement. And of course you get a little added value of front stability with the fork brace. 

Good luck with your bike, sounds like it came with a lot nice accessories. 

Eagle Mike Gen 1 Fork Brace

Used fenders for that bike are 20 bucks on eBay 

i need a new used front fender on my bike also.

bushes broke it half off .

now dirt flies up and lands in my eye.

i will probly mod a different fender for mine

350, I was looking around at different fenders.  Kind of eye balling KXF fender, maybe a supermoto?  not sure.  This thing is far from pretty looking, so I figure I should do something different then the ol stocker.

just got it running this morning.  went through the bike and was half expecting to find a major issue, since it was so cheap and I know we have all heard the story "i swear it doesnt run because its been parked for so long"...yeah parked after it sucked a valve!  lol  but this appears to be just that.  parked for along time.  valves were a little out of spec, thats about it.  had to do some basic carb cleaning, but it fired right up and idled!!

I guess now I can justify washing it.

I dig the KTM fender!!

350, now that it runs, I'm going to put some effort into tweeking this thing.  Yeah tool tube is going away for now, at least put in the shelf until I really need every inch of storage.  Luckily I've still got my 250 2 stroke for serious trail duty. 

Now that the rain has stopped, I finally got a chance to wash it down.  Under the years of dust and road grime is a nice bike!  Most of the barm freshness is long gone. Need a petcock and I can take it for a spin.  

One of the best parts is the fan/light switch.  Every time I play with it, in my head I'm saying "To close for missles!, switching to guns!" 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah, about that....I am not equipped to lift this bike.  XRs, ATKs 300-350lbs fully loaded...ok, I can man handle those.  This thing, not so much.  Thought, just maybe I can get it on a bike stand.  Not gonna happen.  I think after Christmas I will be looking for a bike jack.  Need tubes, chain, and fork seals done.  None of this is gonna happen with the bike on the ground. 

Merry Christmas, I gave Wildwood a bike jack which he doesn't use maybe he will make you a deal. Worst case I have one that I hardly ever use, let me know I would gladly loan it out.

Thanks for BP619 for giving me the great deal on the bike jack.   Was able to get the bike off the ground and some more tear down.  Greased linkage, adjusted chain, new brake pads, brake fluid, went through the forks, and removed 11 miles of wiring that was no longer going to anything or went to an unnecessary manual switch.   Also got the happy trails hardware to mount up the pelican cases today.  Still waiting on "dirt bike" pegs, supermoto fender, and new tires.  

This thing is starting to grow on me. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I saw a quote from Jimmy Lewis on ADVrider yesterday 

" KLR's are full of potential, just needs a rider"

11 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

".... full of potential, just needs a rider"

Story of life

Love the project Rob! 

18 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

I saw a quote from Jimmy Lewis on ADVrider yesterday 

" KLR's are full of potential, just needs a rider"

I have two KTMs just like that.

Well this long and arduous project is about done for me.  

The most magical of words came out of my 4 year old mouth, "I want to ride motocycle!"  And he fits on a PW and can reach the levers!!  Up until last week he was deathly afraid of being near a running bike.  Now he wants to sit on it, start it and gas it all day long.  This was shortly followed up with a conversation with mom about getting him a PW50.  This was followed by and even more glorious conversation with the wife "If you guys go ride around, what am I supposed to do??  Just sit at the truck/camp all by myself?  What am I going to ride?"

ive waited for years for this conversation!!  Wife tried to get into bikes a few years ago with an XR100, but she never felt comfortable.   Never knew how to drive a standard transmission so this whole shifting a bike thing stressed her out.  So maybe an auto quad or a CT90 for her to putt around camp.  She is looking at this a little different now that their is a little one involved.

Either way, my bike collection is changing in a new direction.  They all can't be for me now, which is bad and good at the same time. So I just put the KLR up in the for sale section. 

Wow awesome news, my wife always says same thing to me to when i try to plan a trip around moto riding, or try and convince her to go camping with me in anza borrego. " what is out there besides sand"

Bp619.  That has been the same issue I've had before.  We would usually only go camping at races, where we knew a few folks with other smaller kids.   We only know a handful of people who go out with smaller kids and wives that don't ride, and usually it was always at the races.  Hopefully this turns into more trips to the desert just to go play riding and exploring and meeting some other families with little ones.  Even if there is just dust, with the right company it's still a good time to get away from the weekday madness.  

I have a friend with a PW50 sitting in his garage collecting dust.  I have a Trail 90 in my garage collecting dust.  Let me know if you're interested in either.  

My almost 5 year old son gets his 50 for his birthday in a few weeks. 

Lets make a day out of taking the boys to the lake bed. 

My son started at 5 on a Honda xr50 DSC_4049.JPG

now 12 on his 3rd bike, RM65 that he is now out grownIMG_7500.JPG

now will be looking for #4 and hope the growing slows down, but it's been a blast watching this progress