Sign in to follow this  
Reximus

Learner bike for short woman

Guys, I have met a gal who says she rides. She is short at 5', but a natural athlete. Goofy recommend a KLX 110. Any thoughts? Would prefer kick over E start.

There's an old saying that goes "If you want to ride it, you've got to be able to load it and start it". Of course, if she really rides, I'd do all that for her ???.

KX100/RM100 - For a two stroke they have a bit more low end grunt than you'd think, and you can install a Steahly flywheel weight and Gnarly pipe to get even more low end torque.   Light weight, easy to start, lowering links available.

KLX140 - Probably low enough, but only E-start so that doesn't meet your preference. 

I'd offer up electric start if you want her to speak to you again/ride with you again.......just my $02

125L was a good learner rig for Lisa for both training and practice.......she's still working on developing a comfort level on the lowered 350F-XCW......a bit heavier/taller and lot more powerful......

George at suspension101 has a already lowered italian husky 250 hes helping a buddy sell, she might out grow a 110 or 150 quick

My advice, don't start on a 110.  You need something in the middle.   A low e-start 4 stroke.  CRF150F  or TTR125.  I started on a TTR250.  I bought it for my first bike because I could actually touch the ground.  It was great to learn on.  Pretty heavy though!

Ok, all good points.

2 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

I'd offer up electric start if you want her to speak to you again/ride with you again.......just my $02

125L was a good learner rig for Lisa for both training and practice.......she's still working on developing a comfort level on the lowered 350F-XCW......a bit heavier/taller and lot more powerful......

What do you have/ how much? Probably good point on e start! 

From the floor to between her legs is 28". Measured today.

probably a bit too tall, but Beta makes a new 125 watercooled dualsport bike that has a lower seat height than its bigger brothers and a sticker price of $4999!  Plus, it can do 65 mph on flat ground and looks really sexy just like all the other Beta models!

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/07/12/2017-beta-125-rr-s-review-dual-sport-torture-test/

3 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

probably a bit too tall, but Beta makes a new 125 watercooled dualsport bike that has a lower seat height than its bigger brothers and a sticker price of $4999!  Plus, it can do 65 mph on flat ground and looks really sexy just like all the other Beta models!

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/07/12/2017-beta-125-rr-s-review-dual-sport-torture-test/

I have a 1500$ ish budget. That way when she leaves me, I am not out too much money.

my gf has a ttr 125. she's 120 lbs, 5'6". cost $800, plus a new rear tire. 

Would love to drop her off with your new friend sometime. 

2 minutes ago, meatmord said:

my gf has a ttr 125. she's 120 lbs, 5'6". cost $800, plus a new rear tire. 

Would love to drop her off with your new friend sometime. 

Can she touch the ground? Having a buddy to learn / suffer with always helps.

Trust Crawdaddy (and me) on the Estart. It will make teaching her much easier for you and much more fun for her. If she gets into riding, it's easy to teach her how to kick start a bike.

TTR125L or TTR225L.

Can they bump start from a dead battery?

14 hours ago, Reximus said:

Can she touch the ground? Having a buddy to learn / suffer with always helps.

Yea she can touch ground no problem. Agreed re suffering, etc. 

22 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Cool bike!

I feel that the Mighty TW200 is the best all around starter bike. They sit pretty low and have the fat tire for stability. I have had 2 so far and we used them on the range for the MSF basic rider course.:ph34r:

I will take to Craigslist and settle this, depending on the bike I get I may also get a new GF

19 hours ago, Reximus said:

Can they bump start from a dead battery?

If you are asking about my post, yes. But if the battery is done, you might want to try to kick start first....:P

43 minutes ago, Oracle said:

If you are asking about my post, yes. But if the battery is done, you might want to try to kick start first....:P

I didnt know the ttr had kickstart.

Yup. My daughter has a TTR 125L right now. E start and kick start. Super easy bike to ride because the clutch is super easy, the power band is mellow, but strong enough to have fun.

The KLX110 is good for learning how to use the controls, but after that it is too small for most adults and the suspension is garbage.  Better off with a slightly larger bike. 

Cool, thanks for all the input guys! 

Depending on RexiLady's prior moto/scooter/bicycle experience, if you can borrow / rent an autoclutch bike that would be great imho as you can get the feel for throttle, shifting, etc without having to use a clutch.  If she's a clutch pro, then a little stint on a 125 fourstroke would be a good next step up for a few rides.  Then onto a smaller more performance model.