Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Vintage enduro reviews

I'm looking for another project.  Thinking it would be pretty cool to do an old enduro of some kind, plated.  I've had a couple that were used and abused and probably not it top running conditions, and at the time I really wanted an MX bike so I really didn't care for them too well, and I regretfully sold them off.  

I had a ct90 and a Kawasaki gt4r, 100cc 2 stroke with high and low range transmission.  Now onto my questions, these bikes were all built new before my time and when I was a smaller teenager I remember the CT90 not doing much more then 45mph and the gt4r, maybe a little more.  The Kawasaki had issues, so that may have been part of the problem.  I'm now about 200lbs and would like something that can at least do 55ish for short stints on slab.  It appears a lot of older enduros, late 60s thru the 70s compensated the lack of displacement and power with really wide transmission gearing.   I see a lot of 175s pop up for sale, more so then 250-400s, that seemed the be the popular size back then.  But how well would that get me down the road at 55?  Say 20-40 miles?

my 74 yz125 will get me around the track, but there are time I punish it making it happen.  

anyone still have one of these older enduro bikes in their collections.  Am I over thinking this?  Will an XL185, dt175, xr250, ts250, (insert classic enduro memory bike here), get me through the desert and fire roads?   Not looking for a rocket ship or trials bike.  End goal would be to just get out and ride....safe....and maybe load up a tent and sleeping bag once in a while for an over nighter. 

In the last 6 years or so I have owned and rebuilt many two stroke Yamaha Enduros. 1970 to 1975 At1s 125cc, Ct1s 175cc, Dt1s 250cc, Rt1s 360cc, Dt250 250cc, and Dt400s 400cc. I rode the Ct1 all over San Diego county, but at 45 to 50 MPH. If I were you I would look for something in the 360 to 400cc range. A little hard to find but enough power to ride in the sand and camp off of. I still own the 1970 RT1 360cc Yamaha Enduro and LOVE it.

80s or earlier  Japanese models,  the Yamaha IT series bikes were darn good  175, 200, 465   Kawasaki KDX200s, Suzuki PE175   and some others.

The 82 Yamaha xt550 I've got another one that may be hitting Craig's soon.

Ask Rory if these bikes are capable.

image.png

I'm trying to get in touch with a guy selling an RT1, I'm really interested in how it rides.

350thumper, any issues with the 550?  Dual carbs right?  I found a lot of info on the 600s saying they have a lot of electrical failures, are the 550s the same?  I talked to a guy selling one on Craigslist a few weeks ago, had some strange title issues I didn't want to deal with. 

If I could find a deal on an IT490/465/250 I'd be all over it and try to get it plated.  175/200 I might worry about my 55moh cruising speed with 200lbs of me and a few more pounds of gear.  Robertaccio, can you tell me otherwise?

BP, I think we talked about SEs a few months ago...and how crazy the SE prices are that are floating around....and selling at!!  Otherwise I would be all over it!!!  This will be a buddy bike/play bike/just cruising and exploring around bike.  Reliability and the ability to get me up to 55ish and sustain it for an 20-30 miles are my basic requirements, along with fairly inexpensive  

The 1970-71 RT1 Enduro does not have a lot of suspension. Back breaker in the rough dirt if you don't get up on the pegs. But of the pre 1975 bike by far one of the more powerful Enduros. Very easy to work on and reliable! 40 MPG.

I have an 83 IT 490. I'm pretty partial to it as I bought it new and raced it for years but I would probably part with it for a decent price. I did a semi restoration on it a couple of years ago but only got about 80% done before I got distracted by other projects.

CiD

the xt 550 was only made for two years , and they made alot of them . i havent had any issus with either of my 550s buti did buy a spare bike for them and a complete extra spare coil cdi and staator  ( my spee[img sucks this morning). 

even though i have all these spares i never found an electrical issue.

i can tell you that the second xt550 i bought was the one i wanted, from green horn on this site, 

theres a big difference between the two. the first  one had weeks of issues i had to go threw lovingly.( good bike).

the second one all i really had to do was drain the Rotella out of the crankcase and go. i enjoy both bikes .

my gf and my son use the other xt  follow me around by the border roads.

it sounds to me like your looking for an older,smaller bike, those are fun too.

i like the xt because its low center of gravity, and not overpowered so it always hooks up . 550 is 10 lbs lighter than the xt 500, and at least ten lbs lighter than the 600. when i was 21 i pulled one out of the motorcycle junkyard. $380

image.jpeg

i would like to see more vintage bikes on this site.

Most of you know my feeling about vintage bikes. I have rode all from 100cc, 125 and 250. It's a different kind of fun and it is fun. Part is the challenge of just riding a old bike and how you can push and keep going. I know someone who rode a 100cc and completed the TAT, my other friends did the TAT on mid 70s Yamaha enduros, you can find these adventures on adv rider. IMG_7156.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

I always liked old Honda four strokes.  I'd be looking for something like this.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/5911243930.html

And then get this.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/5897087892.html

And probably end up with one good bike that should meet all your parameters, and have a lot of spares.  

" Will look great under the tree leaking oil on all the boring presents".

At least he's honest!