Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

OHV Lobby Day in Sacramento April 7th

Not sure if I'm going yet, but let me know if you're interested in attending....it is educational, besides showing support for our sport !! If a few people want to go, we'll have to work out the costs, etc.

The California League of Off Road Voters (CLORV) is proud to announce that the date for their 14th Annual Lobby Day at the State Capitol in Sacramento is scheduled for April 7th, 2008.

Many off roaders come back each and every year, but this year is especially important.

This event is sponsored by the California League of Off Road Voters, Inc. (CLORV). The California League of Off Road Voters is comprised of politically active members of:

the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) National,

the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) District 36,

the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) District 37 Off Road and Dual Sport Divisions,

the American Sand Association (ASA),

the California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs (CA4WDC),

the California Nevada Snowmobile Association (CNSA),

the California Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA),

the Friends of Oceano Dunes (FOD),

the Off Road Business Association (ORBA),

the San Diego Off-Road Coalition (SDORC),

which collectively have over 100,000 members.

Please continue to visit the CLORV website for more information on Lobby Day as the event approaches or call the CLORV office (661) 864-1158

With all the talk about frustrations with the land agencies, especially since we posted the comments about the Desert Dash, more of you should be wanting to do something to stand up for what your opinions / frustrations are. The opportunity to show support for your sport is at this Lobby Day in Sacramento.

If we had 500 or more people at the halls of the State Capitol, it would probably make the news, our representatives would be more aware of us, and we would have more of an impact.

Sad thing is, we had maybe 100 people last year, and that was the biggest year yet. So, if you don't get involved, don't Whine......like this year's shirt says, "No Whiners" !!

With all the talk about frustrations with the land agencies, especially since we posted the comments about the Desert Dash, more of you should be wanting to do something to stand up for what your opinions / frustrations are. The opportunity to show support for your sport is at this Lobby Day in Sacramento.

If we had 500 or more people at the halls of the State Capitol, it would probably make the news, our representatives would be more aware of us, and we would have more of an impact.

Sad thing is, we had maybe 100 people last year, and that was the biggest year yet. So, if you don't get involved, don't Whine......like this year's shirt says, "No Whiners" !!

The 7th is a Monday... We could organize a ride somewhere up there for the weekend prior (Clear Creek, Hollister Hills, or some dual sporting through the mountains - not sure what's clear of snow/bad weather) then attend the lobby day on Monday. Might have more takers if there's some riding involved.

That's going to be a pretty busy time at work for me, but I'm going to see if I can get some leave and attend regardless... We can even look at carpooling and/or I'll pull the toyhauler up there to save gas/travel/lodging costs.

But the bikes have to be quiet... and NO WHEELIES IN FRONT OF THE CAPITAL!!!!! :o

I don't own a suit that fits, I suck at public speaking, but I can meet people, shake hands and be a body to be counted. It would be difficult for me to get a Monday off, but if it didn't cost too much, and it could make a difference I would like to try to make it. And that ride thing doesn't sound too bad either. :o Ken

Oh yeh, and I suck at wheelies.

At Lobby Day, you don't have to speak. Last year was first time for me, we split up into small groups of about 6 to 8 people, each group visiting different representatives, and the most knowledgeable person in the group did most of the talking. We typically spent between 10 to 20 minutes with each office we got into. A suit is not necessary, but is a plus.

We could all show up in our riding gear :o

I'll see if we have a few people interested, if putting together a ride that weekend and then going to Lobby Day might be possible.....great idea Dug !!

Is our new pal Brian going to attend? I would think that would be a great inside track opportunity for him and the other attendees :blink:

Ok, I vacationed off for Monday the 7th and 8th of April. Now where do I go, where do I stay and who is going with me! This is my first time lobbying but I do have a suit :blink: . Joliet are you going up with me? Randy what trail are we going to ride? Ride-Orange and Car Guy are you guys going up to instruct me some more? Boy I’ve got lots of questions this morning don’t I? :lol:

Sounds more like a Harley ride than Honda, Sacramento? :lol::blink: I have a jacket & tie.

Before I ask for it off, who is going?? Roger are you going to ride the Harley up? It would be a good shakedown ride for June. :D

Sounds more like a Harley ride than Honda, Sacramento? :lol::lol: I have a jacket & tie.

Before I ask for it off, who is going?? Roger are you going to ride the Harley up? It would be a good shakedown ride for June. :D

Because Randy said he might be able to get a dualsport run somewhere out there I was thinking about three different options. The first was driving up in my truck with the husky in the back. Second is if a few people went up with me I could take the motor home with bikes on the car trailer. The third option I thought about is to steal my wife’s jeep commander and pull a trailer with bikes.

Option 2 (motor home) sleeps 4. We could sleep more but you aren’t that cute Car Guy. :D And no Honda Pilot I don’t want Rob’s birthday cake either. :D:lol::blink:

If Randy can’t get a dualsport ride going we most definitely could shoot up there on the Harleys. We could get use to each others riding styles. I’m going on a little trip at the end of April of from 3000 to 4000 miles with a couple retired guys from work. I don’t need to shake down the bike. I’ve done several 3 to 4 thousand mile trips in the western states. The bike rides fine, but it would be nice to know if we are compatible road warriors. April weather can be fun in the Sacramento area. Let’s see what Randy has planned and who is going. If it is big bikes (beamers, KTM adventure bikes, V-Stroms) then we can take the Harley touring bikes. If it is small bikes going then let’s throw them in the back of a truck or trailer.

A friend at work wants to take a day trip down in Baja on Friday the 4th. We might go to Laguna Hanson. Because of that if we pull small dualsports I can’t leave until late Friday night or early Saturday morning. I will be posting that ride once we get the details ironed out.

I'm trying to plan my schedule a little bit. I'm still wanting to do some riding the weekend before if we get some takers, so I'm looking at taking a day of leave on Friday, 4 Apr to drive and stage for two days of riding (Saturday and Sunday - heck even maybe a little Friday afternoon depending on how early a start we get on Friday). Packing up Sunday afternoon and driving up to Sacramento to be ready for the Lobby Day on Monday.

Anyone done one of these before? How long can we expect to be busy on Monday? i.e. - should I plan on just taking Monday off or is it going to be a long day and better to take Tuesday off too (it's about a 9-10 hr drive back to the San Diego area - not too bad if the lobbying is done by noon or so, but not too much fun if we'll be wrapped up until 3 or 4pm...

I was thinking about riding at Clear Creek - about an hour outside of Coalinga (a little over 1/2 way to Sac). Mickey and I rode there in Dec '06 on the way back from the Sacramento area. The place was a blast!!! Miles and miles of trails - you could ride for a week and never hit the same trails twice. I can pull the toyhauler to camp at Clear Creek pretty much for free (they've got like a $10 fee or something plus $5 per bike per day) and could take 3 others with me. The hauler will sleep 5 in individual beds, but the truck will only seat 4 adults comfortably - and I'm pretty sure (only a guess) that 4 bikes will fit in the back with some creative tiedowns. There are lots of cheap campgrounds in the Sac area for lodging there to save hotel bills too...

Nothing set in stone, but what does everyone else think???

For me, it will hard enough to get Monday off, without trying to get Friday also. One full days riding will be plenty for me. A little ride Saturday afternoon, and an all day Sunday ride will probably tucker an old guy like me out (I know the dash did) :D .

You don't haul the bikes in your trailer?

Your plan sounds like a good one. It would sound like an excellent one if it were easier for me to get some time off.

Go with it and I will try to "work around" whatever you guys come up with. B) Ken

I'm trying to plan my schedule a little bit. I'm still wanting to do some riding the weekend before if we get some takers, so I'm looking at taking a day of leave on Friday, 4 Apr to drive and stage for two days of riding (Saturday and Sunday - heck even maybe a little Friday afternoon depending on how early a start we get on Friday). Packing up Sunday afternoon and driving up to Sacramento to be ready for the Lobby Day on Monday.

Anyone done one of these before? How long can we expect to be busy on Monday? i.e. - should I plan on just taking Monday off or is it going to be a long day and better to take Tuesday off too (it's about a 9-10 hr drive back to the San Diego area - not too bad if the lobbying is done by noon or so, but not too much fun if we'll be wrapped up until 3 or 4pm...

I was thinking about riding at Clear Creek - about an hour outside of Coalinga (a little over 1/2 way to Sac). Mickey and I rode there in Dec '06 on the way back from the Sacramento area. The place was a blast!!! Miles and miles of trails - you could ride for a week and never hit the same trails twice. I can pull the toyhauler to camp at Clear Creek pretty much for free (they've got like a $10 fee or something plus $5 per bike per day) and could take 3 others with me. The hauler will sleep 5 in individual beds, but the truck will only seat 4 adults comfortably - and I'm pretty sure (only a guess) that 4 bikes will fit in the back with some creative tiedowns. There are lots of cheap campgrounds in the Sac area for lodging there to save hotel bills too...

Nothing set in stone, but what does everyone else think???

Ok, I got the 7-8th off. Ready to Lobby! :)

So I guess it is up to Randy, Dual sport and a ride or Big bikes. Harley or Honda?? :lol:

We could go up north Friday/Sat and ride up there for the weekend if we bring the dualies. :D:D

I'll be finding out more info from SDORC tonight about Lobby Day.

Then I'll research where to ride up around Sacramento.

I was thinking about riding at Clear Creek - about an hour outside of Coalinga (a little over 1/2 way to Sac). Mickey and I rode there in Dec '06 on the way back from the Sacramento area. The place was a blast!!! Miles and miles of trails - you could ride for a week and never hit the same trails twice.

I have heard that clear creek is great riding. I have also heard that they used to do asbestos mining there and the dust in many areas has asbestos in it. They do testing up there and in some areas the asbestos is very concentrated. I have seen numbers of like 50%. I wish I could remember where I was reading that article at... :lol: Ken

I have heard that clear creek is great riding. I have also heard that they used to do asbestos mining there and the dust in many areas has asbestos in it. They do testing up there and in some areas the asbestos is very concentrated. I have seen numbers of like 50%. I wish I could remember where I was reading that article at... :lol: Ken

All you ever wanted to know about clear creek: Clear Creek Link

There's a couple pages linked off of that one about the studies. The place is awesome riding!!! Miles and miles of trails - we even came across a few hardcore singletracks. The second day we rode there we ran into a few locals (father and son) who offered to takes us on a ride to a ghost town - neat stuff!!!

I'm open for anywhere though.

I was thinking you may be right about a Friday morning departure. It's about 5 hrs to Clear Creek, so we could hit the road Friday afternoon after everyone gets off work and get into camp late. That would give us a late wakeup/full day Saturday, and a half day Sunday of riding since we'd have to get packed up and on the road for Sacramento shortly after Noon or so (another 5 hrs or so of driving).

I'll stand by for KTMRad's info on lobby day...

I'll be finding out more info from SDORC tonight about Lobby Day.

Then I'll research where to ride up around Sacramento.

I did a little poking around last December about riding up there and posted a question on ThumperTalk. Here's the thread with some of the replies: Best Woods Riding in Central California? But like I said, I'm up for anywhere to ride... Might as well get a little two wheeling in if we're going to make the trek up there...

OK.....we should be able to have all or most costs (including some gas) for Lobby Day reimbursed by SDORC and D37 AMA, more details to come on that. I think if SDORC pays for your Lobby Day cost, then you should be a MEMBER of SDORC.

Also, Ed Stovin (Prez of SDORC) gave me a name & number for D36 AMA Prez , who knows the entire area up there for riding, so we will have some good choices.

I think we should have a little meeting over dinner somewhere one night soon, to discuss details of Lobby Day and riding that weekend.

I'd like to get a formal head count now, for those who want to go and are committed to LOBBY DAY APRIL 7th.

OK.....we should be able to have all or most costs (including some gas) for Lobby Day reimbursed by SDORC and D37 AMA, more details to come on that. I think if SDORC pays for your Lobby Day cost, then you should be a MEMBER of SDORC.

Also, Ed Stovin (Prez of SDORC) gave me a name & number for D36 AMA Prez , who knows the entire area up there for riding, so we will have some good choices.

I think we should have a little meeting over dinner somewhere one night soon, to discuss details of Lobby Day and riding that weekend.

I'd like to get a formal head count now, for those who want to go and are committed to LOBBY DAY APRIL 7th.

Count me in...

I absolutely....positively...... *MIGHT* be in :rolleyes: .......need to figure out my work schedule/vacation time demands

Just want to confirm the general plan is to leave ~5pm(ish) Friday afternoon so no need to burn any vaca time on Friday......get up to Clear Lake area at O'Dark Thirty on Friday night......ride Sat/Sun......up to Sac-ra-Ghetto on Sunday night......suit up on Monday......drive back on Tuesday.....

Perhaps we can discuss the general game plan more at next weeks D38 meeting on Thursday in Santee......possibly tie in a "SDAR OHV Lobby Day" planning meeting to immediately follow the D38 meeting????

Perhaps we can discuss the general game plan more at next weeks D38 meeting on Thursday in Santee......possibly tie in a "SDAR OHV Lobby Day" planning meeting to immediately follow the D38 meeting????

Chris, I spoke with the D38 Prez about their meeting Thursday night......sounds like all they will talk about is racing and race protests, so really not a reason to go to their meeting. In the future, if they have topics besides racing, it might be worthwhile....but I don't really want to sit there hearing heated arguments about race protests. :rolleyes:

We should have meetings and they should attend OUR meetings :curtsey:

We should have meetings and they should attend OUR meetings :curtsey:

Ok....well......I have Thursday night "booked" for a motorcycle meeting so I(we) oughta take advantage of this hall pass......let's just change it up a bit by dropping D38 and substituting a "SDAR OHV Lobby Daze" planning meeting in it's place......

And we can "centralize" the location from Santee to ???..........I went to a work reunion gathering at Tio Leo's in Carmel Valley a few weeks ago......that's pretty central (coastal).......it's located at the intersection of the 56 and the 5.....or Oggi's brewery on the other end of the 56 where it intersects with the 15......more central (inland).......either works for me......though I find myself suddenly craving an Oggi's Scottish ale :rolleyes:

Open to suggestions for a meeting place Thursday night for Lobby Day planning.....

Chris posted a couple of locations, I'm Open.......

I'll start a new thread about meeting Thusday Night.

How about something less than a hundred miles from Campo, Santee sounds much better than Carmel Valley. :rolleyes:

looks like I might be able to scrounge up a KLR...possibly, though I don't know how truck-able that will be. Not sure about the ligher BMW version, that option might be out.