Dan Diego

Informal GPS course?

I've recently spoken with two other SDAR members about GPS use. I told them both I was fairly proficient with routes but not so much with tracks. I learned as I rode on the AZBDR but it wasn't a piece of cake.

With all of the experience among the members of this site, I would ask if anyone would be interested in walking some of us through basics of off-road GPS use. Maybe prior to the next SDAR meeting or just at a get-together at one of our places in the near future.

Who'd be interested in either learning how to use their GPS unit better or providing some instruction?

I can help with the basics of offroad use with Garmin 60-78 models. It is best to have an instruction, short ride, and instruction. Maybe 2 hours total would do it for you.

6 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

You know, Zubb's brewery might be a good place to do this?

I like your style, Jimbo! Sub?

5 minutes ago, V-Dog said:

I can help with the basics of offroad use with Garmin 60-78 models. It is best to have an instruction, short ride, and instruction. Maybe 2 hours total would do it for you.

Right on, V-Dog. That sounds good and I'd be interested. 

1 minute ago, socalhodaka said:

I'm very interested with learning gps and how to use the California Trial map thing. 

Yes, excellent point, Kelly. Me, too.

I am a GPS tard, I could stand to learn a thing or 2

I actually want to learn how to use Basecamp better. I've got using my 76 down but not Basecamp

42 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I actually want to learn how to use Basecamp better. I've got using my 76 down but not Basecamp

Yup planning and modifying routes or creating now ones on basecamp, 

You guys are making me feel a little less geeky now. 

I see so many interesting GPX files on this site (and other places) that I'd like to use. And I want to do it th right way. 

I am surprised LB didn't nominate/mandate me to attend...I am in.

It might be a good idea to create a very simple track...(ie. going around some city blocks with a few rights and few lefts, have people put it into their units, and then we ride it.)  

When people were discussing the rally concept a few strings ago, I thought it would be fun to do a something similar for us using GPS tracks.  You load the tracks and then have to take pictures to prove you made it to certain checkpoints marked with Kug Stickers...kind of like a scavenger hunt.  Ride it with a buddy.

Spot on, Mikey. That would be a big help. 

"When people were discussing the rally concept a few strings ago, I thought it would be fun to do a something similar for us using GPS tracks.  You load the tracks and then have to take pictures to prove you made it to certain checkpoints marked with Kug Stickers...kind of like a scavenger hunt.  Ride it with a buddy"

Good idea, plus I'm running low on Kug stickers. 

I like your idea, Jimbo. A Kug-based GPS scavenger hunt as we learn Tracks. 

4 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

I am surprised LB didn't nominate/mandate me to attend...I am in.

It might be a good idea to create a very simple track...(ie. going around some city blocks with a few rights and few lefts, have people put it into their units, and then we ride it.)  

When people were discussing the rally concept a few strings ago, I thought it would be fun to do a something similar for us using GPS tracks.  You load the tracks and then have to take pictures to prove you made it to certain checkpoints marked with Kug Stickers...kind of like a scavenger hunt.  Ride it with a buddy.

Aw, your not still sore from when I pulled up to you on the AZBDR and said "sorry bro, your not leading anymore..."

:D

25 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Aw, your not still sore from when I pulled up to you on the AZBDR and said "sorry bro, your not leading anymore..."

:D

Yeah and then you put me up front a few times and I'm a total GPS noob, I call Kug every ride and ask him how to turn on my GPS.

CiD

28 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Yeah and then you put me up front a few times and I'm a total GPS noob, I call Kug every ride and ask him how to turn on my GPS.

CiD

You don't need a GPS, you're just a natural...

I think I fired myself and then you fired me again, just to make sure.

On 11/12/2016 at 7:28 PM, Dan Diego said:

but it wasn't a piece of cake.

Uh, Dan Diego but it really is a piece of cake.  All you have to do is... follow the LINE.

Here, a friendly reminder:

Aw, c'mon, Tim...I like 80's pop rock as much as the next guy...but I took a hard fall trying to follow the tracks and pay attention to where I was riding  

If you've been on the AZBDR, you'll recall that there are lots of tight trails in the middle of nowhere and you've gotta pay attention to the trail and the GPS unit. 

Apparently, I suck at both...

I just wanna improve my skills, man. 

But Africa....now THAT is a cool tune. 

14 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

you've gotta pay attention to the trail and the GPS unit. 

Apparently, I suck at both...

Well, an overloaded "let's camp for a week" 990 is a piggy in the tight stuff so you're not helping yourself there.  Now, a magic KLR with milk crate mod would effortlessly navigate its way for you.

In terms of the GPS itself, your eyes aren't getting any better with age - do you suffer from having too small of a unit? 

If I had a dime for every time I've been asked that...

Also, Rosanna is a great song, too!