Dan Diego

Informal GPS course?

What GPS unit are you running? 

The standard 60-70 series Garmin have rather small screens in the great scheme of things.  Modern cars have larger nav screens to direct you along smooth paved city streets with road signs and painted lanes.  These Garmin screens are small and you're hauling butt down an unknown rocky dirt trail trying to navigate AND not crash.  (well, YOU may not be hauling butt, but you get what I mean).

Also, where do you have the GPS mounted on your bike?  On your bars?  Can you post a pic of your nav setup? 

I'll do that.  But I really want to learn more about tracks. I'm already proficient at crashing.

What about tracks?  ...Hold the Line!

Or are you asking about downloading, saving, creating, editing, possibly changing formats, potential sharing and uploading tracks to your GPS unit?

2 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

What about tracks?  ...Hold the Line!

Or are you asking about downloading, saving, creating, editing, possibly changing formats, potential sharing and uploading tracks to your GPS unit?

The latter.

"Gee, Toto, it looks like we're not in BFE anymore!"

That's a big task especially for a hard headed neanderthal like yourself.  Once a KLR rider... Always a KLR rider...

Note as you bring technology into your riding, it's only a matter of time before you download an AI app into your bike and it pilots itself along AZBDR while you sit on the couch with VF goggles "thinking" you're out riding.  Tech grows exponentially so be warned, this could be the End of the Beginning.

You're spot on with your assessment.

I think I'll wait for the n00b course. That'll be a good beginning.

Back on topic:

Are you on Mac http://www.apple.com/  or    PC  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/   

Have you downloaded Garmin Basecamp  http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Do you have a quality underlying / background map such as:

-->    City Navigator   https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456.html

-->    http://cartografiagps.com/en/   or     http://www.lbmaps.com/     for Baja

-->    http://www.californiatrailmap.com/     for SoCal?

Are you familiar with / have an account with http://www.gpsxchange.com/

Are you familiar with / have an account with https://dualsportmaps.com/

Are you familiar with different GPS formats and how to convert them through http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/    or    https://www.gpsbabel.org/   

13 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Back on topic:

PC or MAC? Both but prefer my PC

Yes, I have Garmin Basecamp yet I remain horribly inefficient at its use....even after reviewing the handy tutorial on our site.

I have City Navigator for N. America (to include Baja) and plan to buy CA Trail Maps. 

I have an account with GPSExchange for up & downloading.  

I have an account but am not familiar with DS Maps. But I think Roger is a helluva guy.

I am definitely not familiar with the different GPS formats and how to convert them.

Good questions, and the reason I want a hands on course from a qualified GPS pro. You should run us through this stuff.

It seems improbable that someone can out caffeine or out ADD me, but you've appeared to have done it, Tim.

4 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Well, an overloaded "let's camp for a week" 990 is a piggy in the tight stuff so you're not helping yourself there.  Now, a magic KLR with milk crate mod would effortlessly navigate its way for you.

In terms of the GPS itself, your eyes aren't getting any better with age - do you suffer from having too small of a unit? 

Well played Goofy, well played. Lol

Well I've been lurking on this one. I'm highly interested in learning the dark craft of gps navigation through cryptic gpx exchanges and mystical formats whispered in the backrooms of secret forums.

But I don't own a unit.  Kind of hate to buy one too if it's to become one of the many doo-dads that sit in a box in my garage decaying into obsolescence. 

Now a certain Seniore here has loaned me his 'extra' and I'll dry run it to Flagstaff and back in the car over Thanksgiving, hoping to find it usable for a future strike south of the border.  In short, I'd like to learn a thing or two about this stuff too.  

My brewery is temporarily down due to fermentation cycles but that doesn't mean folks couldn't BYOB.  The fire pit area is ready for a rousing group lecture and I have plenty of bike parking available.  I offer my humble abode for use as the classroom.  Let's do this thing.  The hard part will be picking a date that works this time of year, but I'll bet we can figure it out.  I'm in La Mesa at the base of Mt Helix.

What say ye gentlemen?

Today I stopped by and talked to the owner Ken at 8 Ball Motorcycle Tires, right next to San Diego BMW in Kearny Mesa. He said we could use his place for any kind of meet up, he would let it be use after hours during the week or he would even open it up on a Sunday. Plenty of room, we could use the kitchen even. Also everyone would get a $5 off card for any tire, and there prices already look really good as any internet price. 

If you don't know Ken started Bikebandit, sold it to retire and now starter this, his right had man is a member here Rob Fish. I would be more then happy to put it together, I just need the volunteers on who will lead the talk. Also access to the net if need.

Kelly

unnamed 1.jpg

unnamed 2.jpg

Someone pick a date, preferably after Thanksgiving for me, but I could flex if needed.

Good info, Kelly! It looks like we have several GPS gurus eager to assist with the class. And Goofy Footer will serve drinks and let us slap his ass as he walks by. 

IMG_0454.JPG

TDay is good for me, too.

Who can set up a loose agenda of what we'll need, etc.?

I'll bring the hookers and cocaine....

Any update on the GPS "SEMINAR"? I like to have more know how and make the best use of it,  befor I go on my trip in February.

Let's do this thing.

I'm happy to meet at 8 Ball.  If that's a no-go, then I humbly offer mi Casa in La Mesa.  

Who's IN ? ? ?

I propose dates between Jan 16 (mon) and Jan 31 (tue).  Weeknights or weekends, matters not to me.

I want to learn about 'everything' gps, but am happy to focus on tracks if that's what the consensus is.

DD started this thread, are you willing to take the lead on this?

I'm running a Garmin Zumo 590.  Y'all might wanna post your make and model.

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

Let's do this thing.

I'm happy to meet at 8 Ball.  If that's a no-go, then I humbly offer mi Casa in La Mesa.  

Who's IN ? ? ?

I propose dates between Jan 16 (mon) and Jan 31 (tue).  Weeknights or weekends, matters not to me.

I want to learn about 'everything' gps, but am happy to focus on tracks if that's what the consensus is.

DD started this thread, are you willing to take the lead on this?

I'm in. I have the Zumo 660 and a Magellan Meridian I recently acquired. 

Thanks for the offer of hosting at your place; that's convenient. 

We would need the GPS pros to be there to present a basic to intermediate course on using tracks. So it's really up to their schedule. 

First Task -  Travel to

http://www.gpscity.com/videos         http://www.gpscity.com/videos

and run through the tutorials A Few Times.   These things are not necessarily intuitive.   After doing your homework, questions pointed toward the more experienced will have the possibility of turning on light bulbs. 

Just showing up for a discussion will not get you where you want to be short of a 2 hour Power Point.  Much like riding the moto,  you need to put in the time.

:o

The GPS World According to Goofy - The Basics

GPS UNITS

ymmv.  For the basics, put the Zumos on hold for a second and I haven't a clue how to work a Magellan.  Buy a basic Garmin handheld.

Models to consider:

60 / 62 cx -- $100-125 can get you one of these from CL or SDAR members.  They have been around forever, are a bit antiquated but get the job done

I prefer the 76 / 78 cx  for an older style small handheld.  They, like the 60series, are waterproof but these float (nice on boats) and have a much better ram mount and no antenna to break off. 

Montana is touch screen, larger screen and holds more tracks.  $300 - 400. 

MAPS

Most GPS handhelds have a very basic Global Map which is the underlying map you see when you turn on your GPS.  The more specific the underlying Map is, the most detail is shoes the better.  The Global Map will not show many small streets, it will not show dirt trails, it will show major highways and the lines will be jagged and off course.  Buying a quality underlying Map helps insure that your GPS map will mirror what you see on a paper map.  My recommendation for Maps are California Trail Map for San Diego and SoCal and E32 Cartografia.  With these Maps you can see many if not all the trails and follow them. 

Problem is, many GPS Maps aren't Routable.  City Navigator IS (to my understanding).  California Trail Map and E32 Cartografia (Mexico) aren't.

TRACKS

Most people share GPS trails, rides, whatever you want to call them in the form of Tracks.  Tracks can be colored, edited on your home computer and drawn via your breadcrumb trail while out exploring.  Tracks can have many Points on them which helps keep you on course.  The more Points in a Track the more detail it has.  Show up to SDAR's Desert Dash and guess what, you're getting Tracks. 

Tracks are identified paths by which you can follow during your travels.  The Desert Dash will give you Tracks which show the course outline and you then follow said track.  If you get off course, your GPS will show that you're not currently riding along the Track.  You need to ride back to the Track. 

Good Tracks are like gold.  If somebody can verify their accuracy, you can ride 1,000s of miles into unknown lands by following these tracks.  If there happens to be a new gate or the trail is beat up too much, having a quality Map will show you other nearby trails so you can work your way around an obstacle.  Getting lost is going to happen, even with Tracks because things come up. 

Putting Tracks on a small handheld which I recommended above can get you anywhere you need to go.  It's how I've been riding for years and I've been on plenty of trails where I had to trust the Track.  Other people will tell you what works for them, right on.  I'm just pointing out what has worked for me.   

ROUTES

Routes are what Zumos use.  Typically Routes have less points on them.  They are Routable meaning you query a specific destination and then it draws a path for you to follow. 

ZUMOs

Now, Zumos can have application off road. 

1. There is a more technical way to turn Tracks into Images which the Zumo can read but I don't know how to do it.  Research it on your own, ymmv. 

2. The Zumo does have a large screen and visibility off road is huge.  If / When you buy quality Maps, you can upload them to a smaller handheld and onto your Zumo.  That's right, run Both GPS units.  You can have a smaller handheld following Tracks (zoomed into 800 feet - my recommendation for most off-road) and you can have your Zumo zoomed out to give you a better picture of your overall navigation.  The Tracks may not show up on the Zumo but you will be able to see your position on the quality Map.  Should you get stuck behind a new gate, you will better be able to see a new path around the obstacle. 

PHONES

There are many well established off-road maping software options for phones.  California Trail Maps can be used via phone, E32 Cartografia is coming out with an app.  There are so many options when it comes to phones and Android vs iPhone setups that I shant discuss these here.  ymmv