KTMrad

14th Annual Anza Borrego Desert Dash

February 25 - 26, 2017
Flyer will come out in the January D37 Dualsport Newsletter, and be ready for download at end of November.

This is our yearly, AMA Sanctioned, Promoted event that we have been putting on for 14 years now.

This dualsport ride for licensed, street legal motorcycles passes through the vast Anza Borrego Desert State Park and other surrounding areas, including many scenic canyons, washes, mud caves and spectacular vistas of the Borrego Badlands, mountains and desert.

FLYER LINK HERE on our SDAR Events Page.

Ride starts and finishes at Butterfield Ranch RV Park
14925 Hwy S2 (Great South Overland Stage Route)
Julian, CA 92036
Phone 760-765-1463

Due to the current unknown status of the possible endangered species listing of the Flat Tailed Horned Lizard in CA, the actual organized, paid ride is on Saturday and passes entirely thru Anza Borrego State Park only, which has no restrictions due to the lizard.

Day 1 is approximately 150 miles, including the infamous "Squeeze" and "Heart Attack Hill" (this was always Day 2, but it's on Day 1, like it was in 2016).
Day 2 is an optional ride day with 80 to 150 mile GPS only loops for Mud Cave exploring and other riding. This day, riders can go ride whatever they want, including the GPS tracks we give out, but it's not part of the organized event.

We will still have the usual excellent Saturday night dinner, with awesome raffle merchandise to give away after dinner.
Last 2 years we had a much smaller turnout then usual, hope we get a better turnout this year.;

Riders should have desert riding experience, there are soft sand and rocky sections.
Many pavement bailout options along the routes.
Maximum mileage between gas is 95 miles, with an emergency gas stop on Day 1 at 55 miles.
Day 2 optional routes have about 50 to 70 miles between gas stops.

Ride includes entry, maps, roll-chart, GPS Tracks, well planned routes, event T-shirt, Saturday night dinner, raffle giveaways at the Clubhouse. Bring gas to fill up your bikes for Sunday Morning. Riders need roll-chart holder.
For more info, contact Mike Grudek (ADV Bum) at 760-814-4297, or on this thread.

Please share with your friends.

Just a reminder, SDAR Supporting Members get $10 off the entry fee.

I added this event to the So Cal Dirt Bike meetup group and the California Dual Sport Meetup group website. We will see how many people we can get to come and support. 

1 hour ago, Crash_Man said:

I added this event to the So Cal Dirt Bike meetup group and the California Dual Sport Meetup group website. We will see how many people we can get to come and support. 

Thanks Crash !

Thanks SDAR. Will get on signing up then. Can this be done with a GPS only. Im only asking because I did this event about  8yrs ago and everyone was using roll charts. I recently purchased a Garmin Montana 610 and would like to start using it.

Is there an electronic sign up form? Also wondering if you have a method of taking payment via a card electronically? i don't have checks.

The entry form link is in the post above.

Ask ADV Bum about paying electronically.

Desert Dash is coming up. We still have room. 15 day forecast says light rain midweek with Sunshine on the weekend. Riding conditions should be fantastic. If you wish to send money through paypal you can as well as scanning and sending me your entry form.

Yes. No credit cards. Cash preferred. Bring photo ID for waiver.

If it is easier for you, you can send money through paypal and scan/ send me your entry form.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

Yes. No credit cards. Cash preferred. Bring photo ID for waiver.

Thank you

Great thanks. California Dual Sport Riders meetup has 14 people that signed on to ride. Most should have submitted forms already.

I would like to use my new Rally Blitz navigation equipment on this ride.  Questions:

1. Will a .pdf file of the roadbook be available?

2. Will a ,gpx file be available?

3. Can both of these be emailed to me before the event so I can load them onto my roadbook reader (.pdf) and onto my RallyBlitz ODO/CAP (.gpx)?

4. If they can't be emailed - will they be available on a memory stick at the event and is there wifi available at the camp site? To load onto my RallyBlitz aps I need to get both files to my dropbox.

I spoke to Mike (on the flyer) and he suggested I post the questions here.

Thanks for the help - I'd really like to do this ride

MotoPolo

I have not got a date yet to go check in at Moores Cancer Center...There is a good chance I may be there...I WONT be bringing the Schwinn Inn...I hope I still have a place to crash...I will call him.

MP,  Thought others might speak up before, but.   Expect to get a .gpx file download Friday evening or Saturday morning.  The .pdf file you speak of must be a mileage left/right turn replacement for a roll sheet.  Not Happening!  This is a Fun Desert Dash with your buddies, not a competition.  I suggest you will enjoy the non-competitive vibe Friday and Saturday.  The event is a Roll-About focused on getting to know cycle Buds. That said, perfect for Dry Run of your electronics.

Best of Luck, Bags

Bagstr - thanks for the reply - I'm all into the "non-competition" and just looking for an enjoyable ride.  You are correct that the .pdf file is the left right turn at milage version of the roll sheet.  I have NEVER used my electronics on a group ride yet.  All my tests have been done with a roll sheet I created using Rally Navigator to lay our the route and then you can download a pdf version for print out  or in my case to load onto my ipad.

I'll bring all my gear and see what happens - I'm sure I'll have fun no matter what

thanks again

If someone has a typical gpx file they could email me (al@groupj.net), I'd like to try to create a roadbook - I did a test with gpx files I created and some require editing and some don't. I'd like to try it with a file representative of what we would get at the Dash

thanks

On 2/17/2017 at 10:29 AM, SCHWINN said:

I have not got a date yet to go check in at Moores Cancer Center...There is a good chance I may be there...I WONT be bringing the Schwinn Inn...I hope I still have a place to crash...I will call him.

Just me and the dogs, I have room.

Not certain of the route this year but,  The Pole Line Road south of Salton City is greasy and impassable as of today Feb. 19.

Could be fine in 6 days if no more rain.    B)

Is tent camping Friday/Sat night at the Butterfield Stage campground included with fees? - if not do we make reservations directly with Butterfield?