Daniel

Monthly Ham Radio Testing in Carlsbad - 2nd Saturday of each month @ 9:30am

Hello all -

My club (Tri-Arc) has been offering ham radio testing on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 9:30am. Our testing is 100% free - just show up with your ID and you can test.  We do prefer if you pre-register with us so we can have the paperwork pre-filled out for you, unless you like filling out forms. Because we fill out everything electronically, you'll get your callsign by the next business day, unlike some other clubs where it can take weeks.

You can find more information on our website: http://exam.kk6nlw.com/

If you are interested in studying for the test I can recommend both the "No nonsense guide" by KB6NU and HamStudy.org.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hey @Daniel I was wondering if your club is still active and this testing program is still the same (with the same included recommendation for test prep).

Weighing radio options and just would prefer all doors open so to speak. Just baby steps at present but eager to start running.

Anyone know anything about Idyllwild/San Jacinto range repeater net? Would I have good range around the mountain and into Anza/Palm Desert etc?

@Rexx Riot unfortunately due to some changes at the city of Carlsbad, we're not able to use the location we were previously at. We have a new location in the works and I think we'll be ready by September for the first test. If you need testing sooner you can check the SANDARC website for a different location, or if that doesn't work I can see about holding a special session.  Yes the test prep is still the same - the KB6NU guide and hamstudy.org are the best resources out there in my opinion. 

As far as finding repeaters, you'll want to check out websites like Repeaterbook.com and see whats in the area you will be riding.

For radios - you can go from something as cheap as a 25 dollar Baofeng, up to hundreds of dollars for the new digital handhelds. A lot of people kinda crap on the Baofengs because cheap and Chinese, but to be honest, the newer ones aren't bad. And the best radio is one that you don't care about damaging. I'd never want a multi-hundred dollar radio on my bike or in my pack when I ride. 

Thanks Daniel.

I have so so much to learn my brain is going a million directions but I appreciate your response. I will continue to do my homework and I'll certainly be in touch!

Just now, Rexx Riot said:

Thanks Daniel.

I have so so much to learn my brain is going a million directions but I appreciate your response. I will continue to do my homework and I'll certainly be in touch!

Good luck! The technician test is not too hard as long as you read the study guide and prepare with flashcards and practice tests from hamstudy. They just released a phone app as well, if that's something that interests you. The website still works on the mobile browser, but the app is a little better on your phone. It's only a couple bucks I think.