Collective Insanity ruled the day as eight jovial fellows showed up for breakfast at Kelton's 0800 Wednesday.  One would think these people should be doing something productive! But No!  Productivity can wait.  And so it was, renewed old acquaintances and met a couple of new riders.

Outside we picked up one more rider to make it Nine. This big a group makes it difficult to get rolling and I didn't help by leaving my GPS in the truck with my keys tucked away in the pack.  :huh:   Just when I am FINALLY ready to roll, a rider discovers he has lost his oil filler cap. A full court search ensues and after a frantic ten minutes Beagle Eye Bowers finds the thing in the getter.

Up Montezuma the long line sways, to and fro. Dirt! , is accessed at Little Culp with the ensuing mega cloud of dust.  A bit of rain had fallen here and there but no match for nine real Dualsporters. Down Jasper Truck Trail to Grapevine and after last minute lobbying the group split in two. Five set off up-slope to Scissors Crossing and Earthquake Valley toward Pinyon Canyon and Upper Fish Creek.  I travelled with PbdBlue's group to lower elevations and hopefully control of our return time. We would cover fewer miles, but I knew the Earthquake Valley group would knock out their mileage at a quick pace.  So the race was on.  Our Low and Follow the Flow group took a left as the Narrows opened on to the broad desert floor. Roller Coaster toward and around the Air Ranch, connect with San Felipe W over to Blowsand and Goat Trail. Stopping from time to time to hydrate as the temperature rose and "Smell the Roses". Loop the Loop here and there ending out at Vista De Malpais for a 30-40 minute survey of the world as we saw it. Turns out the world is fine in the Anza Borrego Desert.  I strained my eyes looking for a "five rider dust storm", knowing the Men of Speed would be cooking through the landscape soon.  Turns out we must have come close to intersecting our loop and there return from Fish Creek. Alas, not to be.  The men at the View Point were just getting hotter sitting there and eventually made a decision to return to civilization. Thimble to Inspiration and back to Kendall's.

Per expectations, the High and Fast group were already loaded and assembled at the refreshment table.  Thanks to all who made the effort,, great to share the desert with you.   83 miles and 95 miles for the two groups.

I have no photos, so it may be this was just a day dream.  Bags

PS,    Pbd, you need to take more Birthday Days.  Good to see you and your crew.

As noted on the previous thread, rides like this is the reason I have motorcycles.

But we really didn't ride that fast...

Great ride! Great crew!

Scott is my new hero. He rode that big KLR like it was a 125....Well.... maybe a 250.....

Dittos to what Paul said.

Back at work now, sitting in front of a computer (sigh). Not very productive though.

Keslings Kitchen was great too. Nice après-ride beer and food.

I nominate Bags as the official trail ride summary literary genius.  That was awesome.

Bags, sorry I don't have a ton of pics of your group, but here's a few from ours woven into the GPX track:   http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzczNTEwNQ

One of them is right before we split up ... good group shot ... you and CiD were chattin' it up.

Look'n forward to the next one (and I'll take extra pre-caution to leave the 'special needs' card at home this time ... the oil cap will be on, and tight).

53 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

As noted on the previous thread, rides like this is the reason I have motorcycles.

+1 on what PMB said.

Very nice write-up, Bags. And that ViewRanger app is badass. Click a point on the map, it shows you a photo from that area; click a photo and it brings you to the point on the map where it was taken.  Gotta download that app.

"But we really didn't ride that fast.. "        Would you say, Determinedly Moderate Pace?     ;)

29 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

+1 on what PMB said.

Very nice write-up, Bags. And that ViewRanger app is badass. Click a point on the map, it shows you a photo from that area; click a photo and it brings you to the point on the map where it was taken.  Gotta download that app.

Yeah it's been perfect for me - no glitches.  $20 one time fee.  Lifetime upgrades for free.  Comes with more map formats than you'll ever need (4 different topo map types, bing satellite, google street, google terrain, google satellite, etc)

There's also a super cool feature on the app too called "Buddy Beacon".  When your riding buddy has the app then you can see where they're at.  For example, yesterday when the groups split up we could have used it to see where the other group was at, and vice versa.  The app will put their location on the map with an arrow for their vector (direction and speed) ... bigger the arrow, faster the speed ... and it even leaves breadcrumbs of their position so you can see the route they took to get where they're at.  100% bad ass.

Good ride, with good guys. No mechanical problems and no real crashes. Our group didn't stop to smell to many roses just covered some ground at a good clip.

The new place in Borrego is a great addition for after ride libations. Good craft beers and great food.

Jim making the ledges on Pinyon Mountain look easy.

P1090841_zpsd20xwpnk.jpg

Scott on The mighty KLR on Heart Attack

P1090852_zpspuekpxu3.jpg

An Osprey getting a little maintenance work at the Ocotillo Wells airport.

P1090858_zpstutktbcc.jpg

CiD

The Mighty KLR is giving me a Heart Attack

4 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

The Mighty KLR is giving me a Heart Attack

On the radio yesterday (while bombing down San Felipe Wash towards our ride's end:

Me: I've been thinking all day about how I'd hate to be riding most of this stuff on a KLR

CID: What, like 95%?

Me: Nah. Probably 80-85%.

1 hour ago, EddieEarl said:

Big bike on the way down.  Nice work, Scott.  Impressive for sure.

KLR_-HAH.wmv

Nice!

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

"But we really didn't ride that fast.. "        Would you say, Determinedly Moderate Pace?     ;)

Let's say- it was fast enough to keep me busy, yet CiD was not too bored and didn't really have to make an effort..

18 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Let's say- it was fast enough to keep me busy, yet CiD was not too bored and didn't really have to make an effort..

+1 ... CiD hauls ass.  I want to be like him when I get old ... I mean when I grow up.

18 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Mr Bowers if i remember correctly your pace thru Fish Creek was ... well ... FAST.  That wash just kept going and going ... i started getting tired and you got faster not slower.  if that was a "moderate" pace id hate to see what "fast" means! :crazy:

20 minutes ago, EddieEarl said:

Mr Bowers if i remember correctly your pace thru Fish Creek was ... well ... FAST.  That wash just kept going and going ... i started getting tired and you got faster not slower.  if that was a "moderate" pace id hate to see what "fast" means! :crazy:

It's easy to find out- but you'd need a different leader. I'm old, heavy, heal slowly, and have responsibilities.

The really fast street-racer-boy days are long over.