EddieEarl

ViewRanger & FLICKR

For a group that's busted a lot of bones, you guys sure do bust my badass KTM knee scooter-riding balls. 

Just a note, your phone needs GPS tagging on for your photos for this to work correctly.  I personally have that feature off so when I'm taking photos around the house people can't grab the EXIF data from my photos and show up at my door.

I'll definitely give this app a look as I've been eyeball deep in GPS/NAV/APP/WEB development for years.

16 hours ago, Oracle said:

Hey guys, I haven't read this entire thread so excuse me if it's already been covered. In regards to Bagtrs question about phones getting GPS without a contract, the answer is yes. In fact, some guys will set up their old phones (no cell service) to work just as a stand alone GPS for dual sport riding. There are guys on ADVrider that sell them set up and ready to go.

This is true- but- I don't believe the interactivity is available without cell coverage. Specifically, the locate-a-buddy feature.

20 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

This is true- but- I don't believe the interactivity is available without cell coverage. Specifically, the locate-a-buddy feature.

Yep - that's right.  For the 'buddy beacon' to send/receive you need cell coverage and for "sync'ing" tracks & routes, etc.  In fact, I'm not sure there's even a way to sync by connection to a computer so quite a bit of functionality might be lost in NOT having cell coverage.

So, what system do I need to draw a custom GPS route in goggle maps or ?, download offline, receive audio directions?

1 hour ago, Beezzz said:

So, what system do I need to draw a custom GPS route in goggle maps or ?, download offline, receive audio directions?

--This is for Pre-Ride map drawing.  The process can be tedious.  You can set multiple close points along your track so it conforms to the natural trail turns or you can spread your waypoints apart (quicker for you to draw) but your track will be more jagged.--

For SoCal, I often draw up a potential GPS track on Garmin Basecamp (Macintosh) using California Trail Map (link) as a base map.  I use the existing mapped trails as my guide for waypoints.  You can export the .gpx (gps data file) directly to your Garmin or other device.

OPTIONAL: Then, you can can take this Optional step: store the map in Basecamp or upload it / share if if you want to DualSport Maps . Com (link) and view it on a Google Map, a USGS map or Satellite picture.  This step is more to view the map on a computer screen and can be substituted to a phone app.

Look at the below examples of the same track in blue & green:

Garmin Basecamp w/ Global Map (crappy stock map)

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 7.06.19 PM.png

Garmin Basecamp w/ California Trail Map

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 7.05.37 PM.png

Garmin Basecamp w/ California Trail Map Topo

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 7.06.05 PM.png