EddieEarl

ViewRanger & FLICKR

I've been working on a GPS / Media solution for a while ... something simple, but legit, phone based, able to insert pics on the TRACK automatically, and which was easy to share/export. I think I found it:  ViewRanger (GPS app) and FLICKR (photo app)

Here are the tools:

1. Phone & Durable Cover - Samsung 6 (any smartphone with do) & Otterbox Defender
  2. Handlebar Mount - I use RAM
  3. ViewRanger App - $20 one time fee and gives you more maps than you'll need, allows you to cache/save satellite imagery by "tiling" (eg: you can save the entire ABDSP in satellite view for use in "airplane mode" on the trail), gives you ability to TRACK/RECORD from the phone but gives you ability to pre-plan via computer (you also get an online account so you can use your computer to preview and save routes which you then pull up later on your phone while riding), and which gives you ability to import/export GPX, KML, etc.
  4. FLICKR - free photo app

Here's how it works:

• Ride & Record your Track in VR and just take normal pics with your phone during the ride.
  • After the ride upload whatever pics you want to FLICKR
  • In VR add your FLICKR account (very easy to do)
  • The pics you took will AUTOMATICALLY sync into the TRACK at the exact location you took them.  KILLER function.
  • Here's how it looked for Dave & I yesterday:  http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzY5MTM0OA==
  • Actual GPX coding attached

All I do is hit "RECORD" in VR, stick my phone in the RAM Mount, and pull phone off to take pics.  I end up with a sweet GPS Track with pics inserted.  Pretty sweet.

Grapevine - Jasper - Old Borrego.gpx

i forgot to mention that link should be interactive ... the photos/stats on the right of the page, as well as the graph on the bottom (speed, distance, altitude) ... this app is really friggin cool ... incredible functionality for a $20 one time fee

Troy,

Indeed that is a good deal of function at low price point.  Have you come across more mapping options to show the two track roads in Anza Borrego for example. Still getting my mind around the phone having actual satellite communication. There must be detail maps for download before remote travel.  I wonder if there are sacrificial phones available ( without cell contract ) and would that work with the system? 

Dave 

Dave - great question.  

Have you come across more mapping options to show the two track roads in Anza Borrego for example.

* Not really - I use Google's satellite maps to explore around.  

Still getting my mind around the phone having actual satellite communication. There must be detail maps for download before remote travel. 

*  Yeah, it's pretty crazy our phones are communicating with GPS satellites.   The "TRACK" I can record via the VR app is extremely accurate (precise location / date / time while riding.)

*  And, yes - the detail maps are stored BEFORE travel.  It's called being able to "cache" a map.  So, on my phone I can go in my VR app and "cache" (or save) the entire ABDSP area to my phone with the map type that is a hybrid of TERRAIN and SATELLITE IMAGERY.  Then, when I ride, I place my phone in "Airplane Mode" (to save battery) and just keep the VR app open so I can see WHERE I'm at on a TERRAIN / SAT IMAGE map.  It's pretty cool.

I wonder if there are sacrificial phones available ( without cell contract ) and would that work with the system? 

* I'm not sure if a cell phone without a cell contract can pick up a GPS signal. Great question.

I am interested in a Track Back (bread crumb) option.  does it offer that?

9 hours ago, Beezzz said:

I am interested in a Track Back (bread crumb) option.  does it offer that?

Not sure but I think as long as the app is open it does this automatically.   You could also insert POIs (Points of Interest) as you rode which would be like manually laying down a bread crumb, or you could also just record the ride and then back track to where you started.

Another function I forgot to mention is called "Buddy Beacon" which is the ability for all VR app users to see where each other is on the map.  Pretty cool.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/features

https://shop.viewranger.com/

Navigate

Navigate

See your exact GPS position and follow routes on detailed maps

• Follow on-screen directions as you travel
  • View your exact GPS location at all times
  • Get navigation alerts if you veer too far off track
  • Navigate to points of interest or set coordinates
  • Works offline; no mobile or data signals needed

Just like Garmin, you load Topos before you need them.  Works in Airplane Mode.  Wonder how long a cell phone would work attached to a Ram Mount. I doubt they are Ruggedized.

Garmin Route:   Handset = $300,   Topo 100k = $80 ( Not Routable )   City Navigator $$$ ( Needed for routable 24k topos )

ViewRanger Rout:   Handset = ??,   Topo24k  = $15.60    Routable ??             Any old smart phone would work I guess

Wonder how long a cell phone would work attached to a Ram Mount. I doubt they are Ruggedized.

* Believe it or not I've been using my everyday cell phone on this Ram Mount for a couple years now.  I spent about $75 for a great case (Otterbox Defender) and pop out the flimsy plastic screen protector which comes with the case, and then I replace it with a rugged glass high impact screen protector (about $45).  The great thing about Otterbox is there is a LIFETIME warranty.  When it wears out you get a new one ... FREE.  No gimmick.  I've actually done this two times already - it's legit.  They send you a new one.  I am a HUGE fan of Otterbox cases.

ViewRanger Rout:   Handset = ??,   Topo24k  = $15.60    Routable ??

* Sorry - I'm still a bit new to the GPS world so I'm not sure what "routable" means?  If it means having the abilitly to pre-plan routes then yes ... VR is incredible for this.  In fact, using their online (PC / Computer) interface you can place a few POIs (Points of Interest) along what you perceive to be a great trail and then tell VR to plan the route ... it'll connect the dots in order and give you route (which of course then syncs to your phone so you have out on the trail).

* If you use your "eveyrday" cell phone the cost would just be for the case & screen protector ($120'ish) and then $20 for VR (it's a $15 base fee, but then a $5 upgrade for every single map they have ... ONE TIME cost, no monthly, no annual).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that by riding with my cell on the bars I also have COMS, Music, and EMERGENCY COMS.

COMS -  I use a Sena ($150) with a BlueTooth connection to the phone (NO WIRES!!!) and which has incredible clarity to other Sena riders.  Of course you can talk on your phone while riding, too.  Pretty cool.  And it's not a "PUSH TO TALK" type function where you have to push the toggle every time you want to talk.  You push it once and it opens up a COMS channel and stays open.  If you're listening to music and somebody chimes in then the music automatically pauses.  When you're done chit-chatting the music resumes by itself.  Very cool.  You can even "share" your music for other Sena riders.

MUSIC - if you've never ridden to music, ... then, well ... I really think you're missing out.  I absolutely love it.  With the Sena's BT connection to my phone I simply listen to the playlist on my phone.  There is nothing like riding to a little G&R while blasting down a pole line road, or Skynyrd's Free Bird on a flowy 2 track.  Good times.

EMER COMS - for big multi-day trips I bring my In Reach, which of course pairs to the phone, which of course then rides on my bars ... which means I have SAT COM TEXTING ability from my phone.  I've learned the In Reach is really like a SAT STREAMING device and works better when used from the app on my phone than compared to using the device itself.  

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but this has been a bit of a labor of love for me.  I used to ride with a short wave ($350) and a Rugged Radios PTT system (f***ing spendy at $450) and I've put it all away.  I hated the wires, it wasn't conducive to any kind of music solution, GPS solution, or EMER COMS solution.  Now, with the wireless Sena, phone on my bars, and In Reach in the pack I've got an all in one ... WIRELESS ... solution for mapping, GPS, Music, COMS, and EMER COMS.  It works for me at least.  

Oh yeah, I also ride with an Anker Powercore 13000 (palm sized portable battery charger) which gives me 3-4 full phone charges and it has the "quick charge" function so it can charge my phone in an hour (I also use it to charge the Sena, Go Pro, In Reach).  This little Anker is AWESOME.  I used it like crazy on our last Moab trip.  I also have a hard wired cig lighter type power port on the bike which I routed to one of the Wolfmans so I'm always charging the Anker while I ride.  

Anker (apx $35):  https://www.anker.com/products/A1215011

Power Port (apx $40):  I got mine from RJ @ All American but I think there are better solutions.  Good thread here:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/899643-external-power-socket/  Endless options really.

Riding dirtbikes is pretty friggin cool.  So different than when I started and I can only imagine where its going next.  Something like voice controlled goggles or visors with full on heads up digital displays which will lets you do things like beam in your buddies mug so you can video chat while riding, or sync to your bike's computer so everything from power mapping, ABS, and suspension can be controlled by voice.  Full on ironman type stuff.  It's coming.  And when it does I'm buying it.

Routable =  In a menu " Find local fuel, or cities or groceries "      The device then plots a route on your map based on request. 

Not sure if VR would have that, but I do know that Google's maps are available in VR and I imagine these maps would have that info pre-programmed.  Also, if you're using your phone I know Google would have it (and of course if you were within cell range), meaning you could just pull that up on a Google search and route that way.  As far as a pre-programmed data feed inside VR which contains certain POIs like gas/groceries ... not sure.  I'll email the developer.

1 hour ago, EddieEarl said:

Wonder how long a cell phone would work attached to a Ram Mount. I doubt they are Ruggedized.

* Believe it or not I've been using my everyday cell phone on this Ram Mount for a couple years now.  I spent about $75 for a great case (Otterbox Defender) and pop out the flimsy plastic screen protector which comes with the case, and then I replace it with a rugged glass high impact screen protector (about $45).

Sounds like you've really done your homework with this!  Just a couple questions....Are you still able to use your phone..swiping the screen..while in the Otterbox?  Or is it fully enclosed?  Have you ever encountered rain with this setup?  Waterproof or water resistant?

On 10/18/2016 at 11:19 AM, Bagstr said:

Have you come across more mapping options to show the two track roads in Anza Borrego for example.

Not trying to hijack Troy's thread, but more like piggyback on it.  I have an app called PDF Maps by Avenza on my phone, it's basically a PDF map overlay that has BLM Routes and roads/trails within Anza Borrego.  The maps i use are free but you can purchase detailed topo maps.  I haven't played around with it too much, but here are a couple of screen shots from my phone.  These don't have a lot of detail, just the main routes.

Screenshot_2016-10-19-12-15-33_zpscghl2b

Screenshot_2016-10-19-12-16-51_zpsmitxag

18 minutes ago, beniflas said:

Sounds like you've really done your homework with this!  Just a couple questions....Are you still able to use your phone..swiping the screen..while in the Otterbox?  Or is it fully enclosed?  Have you ever encountered rain with this setup?  Waterproof or water resistant?

Yep - no problems swiping at all.  Sometimes my riding gloves make it a bit interesting, but the high impact glass screen protector and/or the otterbox case doesn't effect it at all.

As for waterproof or resistant I think all these say "resistant".  My wolfmans are technically not even water "proof". But, for all practical purposes this holds up in the rain just fine.  In fact, one time I dropped my phone in a river and quickly pulled it out, took it out of the case, and dried it off ... ended up just fine.  Now, if I had left it in the river for a day and came back and got it I'm sure it would have fried.  But, it did good enough to protect the phone for the few seconds it was totally submerged.

What's interesting (and I'm really, really close to pulling the trigger on this one) is Samsung just came out with a fully water PROOF phone.  You can drop that thing in the water WITHOUT a case and it still works.  In fact, at a cell phone store I saw the display for this phone and it's a fully enclosed plastic tank with the phone inside ... you press a little button on the bottom of this plastic tank and it fills up with water ... fully submerging the phone ... no issues.  Pretty impressive.

Anywhoo ... my Galaxy is just fine in the otterbox when it comes to rain.  I've had no issue (don't ride much in the rain either, though ... thanks to So Cal weather).

15 minutes ago, beniflas said:
On 10/18/2016 at 11:19 AM, Bagstr said:

Yes - but in a round about reverse engineered kind of way.

Short Version:  I actually go out and ride first, then come back to the map to figure out where and what I just rode, see how that train is "CODED" in "California Trail Maps" (CTM) and then try and find more trails that are CODED the same way within CTM.  It's still not easy.

I bought the CTM data a while back.  It's incredible ... almost too incredible.  There is SO MUCH data available it makes it a bit hard for me to use for a few reasons (maybe more on that in a different thread). The biggest bummer with the data for me personally is that the CTM data is in a unique format -- I think it's an "MBX" format -- which does not import into VR so I have to use a different mapping app for it called "Locus" and I just don't like Locus near as much as VR.

So, what I'm starting to do is record my TRACK in VR and then import it over into Locus where I have all the CTM data.  And here's why ... I dot that b/c if I know I just rode a killer two track (like I did on Monday with Bags) then when I look at what that trail was "CODED" by CTM then I can begin to find other trails CODED the same way.

For example, on Monday Bags and I rode Grapevine, then up and over the ridge via Jasper TT ... KILLER two track stuff.  We circled down into Borrego, rode some sweet sand for a bit then headed south to the 78 along a BITCHIN 2 track pole line road (pretty sure it was Cactus Valley TT).  Since I recorded the TRACK in VR I was then able to really easily import over into Locus, and since all the CTM data is in Locus I could see that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE BITCHING 2 TRACK, FLOWY, FAST TRAILS was coded the exact same.  It was coded as follows:  "Dirt Road - Major" (smooth grey line below).

Screenshot_20161015-181725.png

Here's how it showed in Locus app (Cactus Valley TT was a solid grey line):

Screenshot_20161019-125407.png

So, I guess I need to find more "Dirt Road - Major" trails in CTM!

5 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Routable =  In a menu " Find local fuel, or cities or groceries "      The device then plots a route on your map based on request. 

Bags - just heard back from VR support.  The guy, Mike, is fantastic.  Here's what he had to say:

ViewRanger Request Update

View the complete request history

Hi Troy,

Sorry, we don't have set sof points like this, though are intending to add them before long.

The free Landscape or Open Cycle Maps (Options, lower left on map, Choose a map, Online maps), have quite a lot of POis marked.

Regards,
Mike.

My adroid HTC desire 510 phone over heated and failed after half hour use in navigation mode and battery failed in one hour in audio only mode.  So, I added a battery stick source, in audio mode (no screen use) it lasted 6 hours before failure.  This test was in standard car navigation mode of goggle maps.  Have you solved the large battery use issue by direct plug in of your phone?

Why not use Locus Maps full time instead of VR?

Hmmm ... weird.  I don't have my phone plugged in while I ride, and I've actually never had a battery issue.  Maybe it's b/c I put my phone in 'Airplane' mode before I ride?  Maybe trying to find a cell signal is what's pushing it over the top.  Not sure.

For example, today we did about 95 miles and started about 9:30am and got back around 1pm.  I put the phone in airplane mode and ran music and tracked in VR.  When I got back the phone still had about 70% battery life.  Works pretty good for me.

And I've wondered the same thing about Locus Maps ... I guess I'm just not as familiar with it.  I'm not sure if I can insert pics along the GPX code like I can in VR, and I'm not sure if its as easy to Network / Share with other users.  If two people have VR there are some pretty cool functions.  For now I'm recording the track in VR and then importing over into LM b/c I have all the CA Trl Map data over in LM.

Edited by EddieEarl
added more info

Hey guys, I haven't read this entire thread so excuse me if it's already been covered. In regards to Bagtrs question about phones getting GPS without a contract, the answer is yes. In fact, some guys will set up their old phones (no cell service) to work just as a stand alone GPS for dual sport riding. There are guys on ADVrider that sell them set up and ready to go.

I like your ride report with VR.  I can click on the picture icon on the map and your picture you took at that location pops up.  That is a nice feature.

Downloaded the VR app today and will try it out shortly. Very cool.

13 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

Downloaded the VR app today and will try it out shortly. Very cool.

Gonna be a awesome adventure with the knee scooter can't wait to see the route around the block