Greenhorn

(Follow Up) Saturday Morning Rambling Around Ride

So had about 400 miles on a new KLR 650, have had a lot of fun putting those on. Most of them were over the Memorial day weekend. Thanks to TdubLady and Thumper Bob for showing me Vejas Grade and Pine creek. I’ve rode Vejas a few times now and tried to ride Pine Creek again but could find the turn off from Sunrise to go down it. For beak in you’re supposed to keep it at or under about 4,000 rpm’s until 600 miles so trying to do that and also not flog it while under.

I’ll have to say I hadn’t been to a few of my stops below in some time and few left me a little bummed a part of getting old maybe? I don't really think so, sometimes things are not as good as they used to be. 

For starters, on the way out to Campo I took freeway from Alpine to Sunrise Highway – Buckman Springs exit. First real freeway riding on the KLR and in general was ok. Not my favorite thing to do, but I think it’s something to be capable and comfortable (as possible) with.

Rode out to Campo and and met up with 350thumper and a coupe other fellows... CVRick and ? sorry not good with names. They had a different type of ride in mind so after a bit they went east I went north.

Went through Morena Village to Lake Morena, the lake is so small it’s very sad. I spent a lot of time fishing behind Goat Island back in the 80s, caught a 10lb bass back there, fished there with my dad when his time was short. Maybe another time it will be the lake it once was. It being so low is not a surprise, but the last time there you could at least launch a boat and it always comes as a shock when you see it even though you know to expect it.

Next was up and over to Corral Canyon. Here there were few surprises to. Both campgrounds were closed and the road the Los Pinos is now paved or topped. I had not been out this way in a long time. A friend and I used to ride here a long time ago and once had a crazy camping trip there. I took the fire road out of Bobcat Meadows camp (Los Pinos), first dirt of any consequences for the KLR, it was fun but a KLR is no XR400. It was here I got a feel for a stock KLR’s off road capabilities and mine as a guy that hasn’t ridden much and is getting older. I had a good time horsing on the up hills but was sitting when I should have been standing and have a sore neck as a result. On one hand the KLR was a handful, a bit heavy and under suspended. Probably doesn’t help I’m heavy and under suspended. On the other hand it held its own with no issues and no complaints in the tough (comparatively speaking) stuff. Lose and few pounds (both of us) and a little work on the suspension (both of us) and I bet everything would be a little smoother especially in the rough. Was pretty hot out there so time to move on. The road in and up and out and back are a lot of fun.

North up Buckman to Sunrise Highway, had not been up to Mt Laguna via Sunrise proper, just via Pine Creek , Sunrise Highway from 8 to Mt Laguna is a fun ride. The weather was much cooler than Corral Canyon and felt really good. Stopped at the store for a drink of water and wanted to take Pine Creek back to Pine Valley but missed finding the exit. Learned a lesson (well mental lesson) about slowing and not having awareness of what’s behind you.

As I didn’t find Pine Creek back to Pine Valley I went around to Lake Cuyamaca and down to Descanso and across Vejas Grade and back to Santee.

175 miles covered for the day :) 

While the KLR could use this and that it is a lot of fun to ride and be able to ride all kinds of stuff :D

Anyone else interested in this type of ride let me know. I like these rides with mixed environments (a little freeway and lots of back roads, fire roads, dirt roads) and some miles. 

Sounds like a good day of riding.

Hit me up if you want to ride some time. Don't really want to do freeways unless absolutely necessary. 

Yeah Patrick, your ride sounds a lot like the kind I do out that direction. Let me know when you want to do another. I have some fun stuff out that way that meets our criteria. This time I'll ride my KLR.   KLR's rule! Lol

My kind of ride, too (sans hwy if possible) as Jim said. Hopefully have the DR ready to go by the end of the week. My time got burned up helping with a head gasket, tires, new exhaust, oil change, etc for another Swiss RTW traveler on his DR. He's back on the road tomorrow, so back to wrenching, then riding.

the ride went well , we stomped across grueling terrrian , lots of sand and rock and a few cactus-es.

rode into jacumba after taking in the views, not once(except at starship of coarse) did we see the border road or the highway and we even took a different route on the way back 

got gas and sandwiches at subway 

rode back from Starship gate .

thanks for organizing this ride. Greenhorn has an immaculate klr 650 . brand new no scratches .

lets see a pic of your new bike Greenhorn!