WoW  what a weekend

drove up to Greenhorn on the 4th got there about 730 PM  Got camp set up and fire going then relaxed  camp_site.jpg I was the only one there .

Jim came up later that night and Ed in the morning. Once he got there we went down the hill for corned beef hash (told you it was to be a lazy week end) got on the trail about noon headed out east and rode 80% fire road and a the rest single . The weather was fine as long as we stayed in the forest but got a bit warm when we ventured into open areas at lower altitude . Found a single track I had never been on tight twisty up and  ended in the log field .trail.jpgtrail2.jpglog.jpglog2.jpg

This is where we ran out of water and had to return to camp . It was nice mostly easy 5 1/2 hours

Day 2 we went East  . Checked out Bull Run lower then back up fire roads to the top of it . One guy came out and we talked to him for a wile, he was waiting for his brother to come out . About 20 minutes later he came out the first thing he said to us was "don't ever go down there" guess he must of had fun. Then it was up to Tobias lookout and on to Frog . New trail out of Frog was a challenge and the jump looked cool, no i did not.DSCN0870.JPG

Then it was off to PUP meadows trail ,all was going good till about 100 ft from the end . Some how I got my toe  between a root of all evil and my foot peg , never saw the root till I was laying on the ground with a dead foot. Well  it was late and time to head back anyway. got back to camp about 900 . long day

Day 3 Packed up went to breakfast  and home got home about 4 and went to emergency for a 8 hr stay . about 16 stitches crushed toe bone and a set of crutches

foot.jpg

Looks like i am down for a while

next trip I am bringing a ax to even it up with the root

4 minutes ago, don johnson said:

next trip I am bringing a ax to even it up with the root

This is at least one of the reasons why I always bring some compact tools with me on the trail.  Any thug trees or other menacing foliage might get a trimming if they try to hurt me!

Good report.  Hope you heal up quickly.

Sorry to hear about the toe/foot...:unsure:looks like you had a blast except for that...:thumbsup_anim:

Where did you camp up top in the forest?  We looked but didn't find a campground.

Bummer bout the foot,  I hate when that happens!  Broke my foot twice that way

Damn Don, you're supposed to go around the roots. I seem to recall alot of deadfall and a small reroute out there on Pup Meadow. I'll look for the little bastard that got you. On Portaguese trail there was a reroute for a downed tree that could've been moved with one cut but the reroute cut down a living tree and left a vicious little stump behind. I need to move the dead tree and re-establish the trail.

Crfxer,

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/greenhorn.asp

This is the spot that Don showed me a few years ago. It's great but they raised the price this season from a very reasonable $14 to a now not so nice $18. :lol: There are hot showers and flush toilets there. 

Jon

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out next time.  Much rather camp up in the forest, closer to the trails and a lot cooler

7 hours ago, crfxer said:

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out next time.  Much rather camp up in the forest, closer to the trails and a lot cooler

Yessir, I camp in the valley from Nov-April. Keyesville or Weldon KOA. It just depends on where I want to ride that trip.

JB

We camped at Hungry Gulch partly because I have a friend who lives on Old State Rd and we'd just take off from his house.  80 something sites and we were the only ones. $25 a nite and the showers didn't work.  Like your place better

Pretty nasty fire up there right now.  Hope they get a handle on it real quick.  Noticed a lot of dead/dying trees up there last week

UPDATE: 8:41 pm. The Cedar Fire is presently 4000 acres and 5% contained

A RECOMMENDED EVACUATION HAS BEEN ISSUED TO THE COMMUNITIES OF ALTA SIERRA, SLICK ROCK AND SHIRLEY MEADOWS. An evacuation Center is available at St. Judes Catholic Church, 86 Nellie Dent Road, Wofford Heights, Ca 93285.

The Cedar Fire began at approximately 4:30 p.m., August 16, 2016 and is located near Cedar Creek, in the Greenhorn Mountains above Wofford Heights and Lake Isabella on the Sequoia National Forest, Kern River Ranger District. Local firefighters responded immediately yesterday afternoon and worked through the night fighting this fire. The Cedar Fire is being managed under Unified Command with the U.S. Forest Service and Kern County Fire. Additional firefighting resources have been ordered, including California Interagency Incident Management Team 5, which has arrived and been briefed on the status of the fire. The Incident Management Team will assume command of the fire at 6:00 a.m. Thursday, August 18. The fire will remain in Unified Command with Kern County Fire.

Currently, the fire is on both sides of Highway 155 with portions of the highway closed. The fire is moving in a north-easterly direction at this time. Firefighters are focusing resources on the southern and eastern flanks of the fire in an effort to protect the communities of Alta Sierra, Slick Rock and Shirley Meadows.

Bummer was thinking about trying to make it up there in early October