Going. Taking my new 150 with the added flywheel weight and gonna give it a whirl. Appreciate any advice or tips. 

image.jpeg

Good stuff did his class about 5 years ago stay hydrated might be warm. Just listen and try and follow all directions fully good advise to be had.

If you need somebody to laugh and point, and take pictures, I'll be sure to drop by.:lol:

Thanks for the wisdom and support, I'll take it to heart! Dirt Dame you and anyone else are more than welcome to come witness and/or document this old dog attempting new tricks!! 

Will post a report if I survive. 

Your gonna do great hope you take some pics of your own.

glad to see you on a Mx bike also.

1 hour ago, Wierdrider said:

Keep your shirt on!

Or not! 

I survived!!

The weather was great, cool in the morning then breezy once the sun came out. Don't get me wrong, I was plenty sweaty, but it was far from miserable. The last part of the drive in kinda sucked because I was driving into the sun and the entrance isn't huge so I'm glad I was early.

Gary showed me how to unload my bike by myself, although I really need to change my bed lining and get better steps to be able to do it safely. But I do know how and only need a stand by in case I slip. He's really a nice man and a good teacher.

I took the class on my new bike. It's a 2013 CRF150R and VERRRRY different from my TW. I had a 9oz flywheel weight added to make the throttle less choppy since I'm not gonna race and wanna mainly ride trails. It did make it far more Miriam-friendly, but still quite a change from my tractor bike.

My classmates arrive. They teach beginner class as well(Gary's son AJ instructs that one), that had a mom and son attending. I took level 2 and there were 4 of us, total. Me, the only girl(I know, shocker!!), a guy on a big ol' KTM rekluse blah blah from Idaho that rides trails and trials(gulp), and a father and son combo. Father used to race motorcross and son is 17 and a star athlete. (gulp,yikes) AND all 3 of them had been there taking class on Saturday. Really?? I wanted to crawl under a rock and cry.

I didn't. I put my big girl pants on, heard my mother's voice in my head reminding me "Ya ain't gawn learn any younger, girl, go do it.", and I did my best. We started with basics: sitting turns, braking drills, standing turns. There are different areas set up for practice. We would gain a skill, do a drill, then take a little trail ride. Some of the things I didn't try because I knew my foundation wasn't good enough. I listened and learned and practiced my basics while they did the harder things.

I went down once because I forgot I have disc brakes not drum and grabbed too much front. Another time I caught the front wheel funny riding on the 2x6s and dropped the bike, but not me. Didn't hurt either of us. All in all not too bad, considering I would've been scared to try a few of those things before.

Learning what to do when you're stuck on a hill was super cool. I feel far more confident now that I know I can get myself out of a crappy situation, or at least keep from making it worse.

I think there are very few riders that wouldn't benefit from this school. It covers everything from the basics to sand washes, side hills, rocks...all the tools needed to have fun and be safe.
 As for me,I will be practicing my basics and intend to take the class again in a few weeks. I gained a TON and grew by leaps and bounds in one day! I'm proud of me for not letting myself get psyched out. I'd love to get an all female class together; if any of you read this(male or female)and are interested in taking the school, let me know. He said if I do the organizing, he'd prob do a group rate deal.

Motoventures is well worth it. even if you are an advanced rider, it pays to have an expert in ergos and control tweak your habits to the more efficient and less fatiguing style. I attended with a one on one with Gary after he spoke at the SDAR meeting, it was a great experience, plus getting to cut loose on the school grounds in between adjustments was great

Yup agreed i plan on doing atleast a 1 day class soon maybe full weekend so i can beat robert in the tecate enduro this year.

Hi all, I would be interested in joining a future group class, is there anyone who could trailer my bike to the location? I am located right off the 15 freeway on Adams Ave. and would help out with gas. New to the forum, 2 months into riding my 2012 xt250 would be great to connect with other local riders!  I am working up to freeway skills but still sticking to just streets for now. not sure if this bike has the power to withstand a ride on the freeway for a longer amount of time than a few exits.

Absolutely! I will begin to get things organized in September and will keep posting updates. I can take 2 bikes in addition to mine with my truck. Or have trailer(s) if need be. First things will be getting a total on how many are interested. And then figuring out a date.