A few tasty tidbits from my last trip into the Greenhorns.

I drove up Wednesday evening and got into camp around 8PM. Set up the mobile command at Greenhorn Mt Park in the setting sun. I was all alone in the campground, no host and unfortunately still no showers. It was OK as the location is ideal and there is water at every other campsite. Later in the week a rep from Kern County Parks came through and told me a water heater quit and replacements had to be special ordered since they run on propane but should be installed very soon. 

The weather was perfect, in the 70s during the day and dropping into the 50s at night. I went out alone so I kinda stuck to more heavily travelled areas, still did a bit of exploring into remote areas but surprised myself with the mileage I did on dirt roads. It may have been that I wanted to explore the trails and parts I've never ridden so I did. Anyway I hate talking about riding if there is riding to do. Like a great photographer (I'm not) I'll let the imagery do the talking.

On a remote trail, Pup Meadow I think.

DSCN0648.jpg

Looking West toward Bakersfield.

DSCN0647.jpg

I saw some wildlife. I would've explored the "road" he was standing in but I thought I'd let him enjoy his Thursday afternoon.

DSCN0649.jpg

Followed a dirt road for 10ish miles looking for an old jeep road that paralleled Pup mdw trail. It was on my map, but all I found was a lookout.

DSCN0651.jpg

Not bad.

Went back down that road and followed another that may have led to the trail I wanted. Nope, found "Speas Dirty Camp".

DSCN0660.jpg

It was right next to Speas Meadow. I was there.

DSCN0663.jpg

I went out looking for Speas Ridge Trail. Found it but it has had so little use I couldn't follow it. 

Another scenic vista.

DSCN0667.jpg

It had this big reflector thing up there. Anybody know anything about what this thing could be?

DSCN0668.jpg

Bailed on that trail and hightailed it to check out another one. Tobias trail is split into many parts. I took bikeslut, spaugh, mctrails and kato on the very top portion a couple years ago. I never have so I thought I'd investigate the lower portions. 

DSCN0669.jpg

Tobias trail drops about 500' elevation for every mile ridden. I knew I was only going so far as the temps in the valley were over 100 degrees and there was no way I would've attempted such a steep trail in that heat.

DSCN0672.jpg

It was really fun, steep, and barely ridden.

But I had reached the end.

DSCN0675.jpg

Time to check out another road and possible trail.

DSCN0684.jpg

How about that trail? The eagle eyed viewers may be able to spot the lookout tower in the photo. When I got to this point I knew I had to go to the end.

And what a trail it was! This was hands down the hardest mile and a half of trail I've ever ridden.

DSCN0682.jpg

It had it all, rocks, roots, cliffside exposure, loose DG, switchbacks, STEEP climbs. 

DSCN0681.jpg

That wasn't the worst section, I just happened to stall the bike there and used that as an excuse to catch my breath and take a photo.

But the end of the trail had the most incredible views and was more than worth the effort.

DSCN0678.jpg

Until next time.

The reflector is for usually for microwave communication signals to "bounce" into another valley or area for coverage.  Lots of them up in Idaho

Man, I REALLY want to get up to this area soon and ride with you. Every time you post a ride, I click my heels together three times but nothing happens....some day.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Man, I REALLY want to get up to this area soon and ride with you. Every time you post a ride, I click my heels together three times but nothing happens....some day.

+1

Very nice...:good:that was a hairy trail for sure! :o

On 7/24/2016 at 4:38 PM, Oracle said:

Put on your ruby slippers I may be making another trip very soon.

Thanks for the kind words. The report appears to be one day but actually took place over the 2.5 days I rode up there. Sometimes I just ride and ride and have to remind myself to take photos. The first and second days I rode until dusk and really explored more than I have in quite awhile. I followed a really fun cow trail for almost a mile that just ended on a hillside. Rather than turn around I consulted my GPS and it said there was a road 400 yards away. Well, it was, but that got me stuck on a rediculously, steep hillside in gastank deep grass. I made it out, but it took some serious finess.