wildwood

Descanso to Santa Rosa Mt. Over-Nite Ride 7/22-23

I knew there would be days like this.

It started out your typical excellent Friday get-away.

red-Dscn0833.jpg

Fires up north had the region looking pretty hazy off Boulder Creek Rd. I made good time to the Lost Valley Rd. turn off just past Warner Springs, and Kato showed up 5 min. later.  Things looked quite at around 10:30am, so I was rolling pretty good on the pavement section having fun.

red-Dscn0834.jpg

You know that thing you hope you never see..........well I saw it BIG TIME.

red-Dscn0836.jpg

Almost submarined under a forestry workers truck, took out his bumper and was lucky to get spit out the side instead of him going over me. It was a hard impact.  

red-Dscn0838.jpg

I had a second to aim and adjust my slide going in, getting my legs out of the way, and somehow came away unscathed. Sore ass, but no bruise. ATGATT saves the day again.  Crazy.  The guy was shaken, but we both agreed it was mutual fault. He was pretty cool about the whole thing.  Like maybe this isn't the first time it's happened kinda cool.  

red-Dscn0837.jpg

I was pretty sure the trip was over.  The bike felt taco'ed in the front forks.  Kato wasn't so sure, 'we can fix this' he say's.  And we did in about an hour, loosened the triple clamp bolts, rap, rap, rap, tightened it up and wal-la.  Strait enough to ride on. Kato's THE MAN. Let's go.

red-Dscn0840.jpg

And this is why.......

red-Dscn0841.jpg

After a couple beers, and not far from camp, things were starting to feel right again.

red-Dscn0842.jpg

red-Dscn0843.jpg

A friend of Kato's from Cathedral City, Dave, showed up not long after we got the camp established.  One more beer for everyone and Kato was ready to unleash the beast. Him and Dave took off for hours of night riding in the area.  

red-Dscn0845.jpg

I stayed behind to enjoy the sunset, and drink a few more.  

red-Dscn0855.jpg

Today was just hot as hell.  We stopped into the Paradise Valley cafe for some breakfast. When we came out to leave, both Dave and Kato had flats due to nails in there rear tires, presumably from last nights adventures.  Kato and I rolled on to the next gas station, found some shade and made repairs.  From there, it smoothed out and everyone's back home. All's well that ends well I guess.  

It all sounded good except for the head-on.  I'm sick of being in head-on collisions, even if only with other motorcyles.<_<

Sounds like an awesome trip, man crazy head on good thing your safe, thats about the exact same spot I almost hit a ranger on my father's day trip but he was moving way fast in middle of road good thing your safe. bummer I couldn't have made it would have been a blast I love riding in the heat and a few beers while night riding.

Awesome, awesome! ?? Glad you're ok

I've been studying those trails, someday soon!

Freeeeaky instant Friday but good times and spirits overall, hope we do this again soon!

Some pics in chronological order:

IMG_20160722_162255.jpg

IMG_20160722_174807.jpg

IMG_20160722_175421.jpg

IMG_20160722_194550.jpg

IMG_20160723_000448.jpg

IMG_20160723_000739.jpg

IMG_20160723_055311.jpg

IMG_20160723_070527.jpg

IMG_20160723_110741.jpg

IMG_20160723_110748.jpg

I'm surprised that there is still water at the spring!

45 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

I'm surprised that there is still water at the spring!

It was ice cold too.  We talked to a Cal-Fire fireman at breakfast, and he said there were several springs on the mountain.  I'm really impressed with Santa Rosa, that view down to Palm Desert is incredible at night.

Don't be too hard on Dave, we pretty much all looked like that at the time. :lol:  It was a good little trip, except when it wasn't.  Bent sub-frame, swing arm, rack, shifter, forks need more straitening, Mosko Bags ripped.  I got some work ahead of me.  I know it could be so much worse.  Better the bike than me for sure. Be careful out there people,  

Who's posting the next one?

7 minutes ago, wildwood said:

It was ice cold too.  We talked to a Cal-Fire fireman at breakfast, and he said there were several springs on the mountain.  I'm really impressed with Santa Rosa, that view down to Palm Desert is incredible at night.

_

It's just that we have been in a drought for so long.  I was at Big Bear last weekend, and I was surprised at the lack of water in spots that have always had it in every past summer season.

3 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Nice Photos Kato, except for the drunk guy!

I think the drunk guy is rather handsome. :D

Thanks for letting me camp and ride with you guys!  I'm just glad everyone made it home safely after all the head-on collision/flat tire drama.  I managed to get exactly one photo before my camera gave up.  (No Kato, this is not a tweaker disassembling a weed wacker.)

IMG_20160722_201431164-L.jpg

Sorry to hear about all the damage to the bike wildwood, good thing it wasn't the Tiger!  

I am sure you were shaken up quite a bit for a while.  Sucks about the bike, but it is just that...just a bike and not your life. Glad you weren't hurt.

Honest to God Mikey, I kinda felt like Samuel L. Jackson in the Pulp Fiction 'Wild Shooting' scene.  Like...what the hell just happened, and how am I not hurt.

I thought the same thing about the Tiger Jim, that would have been pricey.

58 minutes ago, wildwood said:

how am I not hurt

The seconds it took me to jump off my bike and run to you you were already up, and i couldnt believe my eyes. Kept inspecting your helmet for signs but nada, I was in shock how clean you got away with such crash. Yea boy!!!

Dang, although it sounds like you bounced back ok (no pun intended), scary.  Glad you are ok!!.  I am unpacking.... with hopes to pack soon. Hope to ride with you on the next one.  

Should be cooper cienega truck trail, when you gonna make it out there Jim enough talking about it more riding.

30 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Should be cooper cienega truck trail, when you gonna make it out there Jim enough talking about it more riding.

So Anza is just over the hills?

Is it a safe route to do by myself?

2 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Yes and yes. Easy route. But always good to do with someone else the 1st time.

I was out of town with my lady, not on the bike unfortunately.....don't tell her, but I would have rather been out there on the trails!  I'll try for the next one, looks like a good time except for the demolition derby attempt. 

6 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Didn't I send you tracks, I've done it probably 5 times solo and 10 times with other people just in last 2 years totally safe besides the crackhead that almost hit me head on right before Anza. One of these days I get free I'll lead you my 950 needs to stretch it's legs.

28 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Didn't I send you tracks, I've done it probably 5 times solo and 10 times with other people just in last 2 years totally safe besides the crackhead that almost hit me head on right before Anza. One of these days I get free I'll lead you my 950 needs to stretch it's legs.

Yes, I've been studying yours and wildwood's tracks and feel confident about doing it. 

Let me know when you're free. ?

If you have dirt tracks to Idyllwild, send them my way. 

Thanks Brian. 

I'm not going to Mammoth this year.  Aug 6th 'downs' is going to be up on Santa Rosa Mt. for a last camp before heading back to North Texas.  It would be nice to go have a few beers with him before he takes off.  If that works for anyone.