GregL

Street tags on dirt bikes

I know the state is no longer allowing retrofit of dirt bikes to make them street legal. About a year ago, I had heard that CA had revoked the license for some of the converted bikes. Is this still going on?

Also, has anybody bought a converted dirt bike and have DMV refuse to renew the registration?

I love my GS, but am thinking about getting something more dirt capable.

I know the state is no longer allowing retrofit of dirt bikes to make them street legal. About a year ago, I had heard that CA had revoked the license for some of the converted bikes. Is this still going on?

Also, has anybody bought a converted dirt bike and have DMV refuse to renew the registration?

I love my GS, but am thinking about getting something more dirt capable.

Greg, read this post, it should tell you everything you want to know. :declare: Ken

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...&hl=REVOKED

That was an interesting post, but it did not address my concerns about my KLX 300. It is a 2001 model that I had licensed in April of 2006. I just got my renewal fee notice in the mail so I hope somehow I am exempt from these revocations. :declare:

That was an interesting post, but it did not address my concerns about my KLX 300. It is a 2001 model that I had licensed in April of 2006. I just got my renewal fee notice in the mail so I hope somehow I am exempt from these revocations. :declare:

from what I gather, you are in a "gray area"... the bike purchase date qualifies, but the first license date does not... I expect the year of the vehicle will let it slide under the radar...

That was an interesting post, but it did not address my concerns about my KLX 300. It is a 2001 model that I had licensed in April of 2006. I just got my renewal fee notice in the mail so I hope somehow I am exempt from these revocations. :beach:

from what I gather, you are in a "gray area"... the bike purchase date qualifies, but the first license date does not... I expect the year of the vehicle will let it slide under the radar...

you could always take this root....a picture is worth a 1000 words..... :unsure:

http://joeracerproducts.com/gallery/bikes/Picture_061

i did.....Gordy

I hope you got some guarantee with that photo! When the dmv revokes your plates, will they give you your money back?

I hope you got some guarantee with that photo! When the dmv revokes your plates, will they give you your money back?

That is the million dollar question... in the meantime, ride it like you rented it.

the "route" of having the bike "dual sported" by a dealer, then registered by that dealer as a street bike.

it works... an ex-girlfriend used to do it for a local shop in the early 90's...

the point is... the DMV may revoke for plates without the proper VIN and emissions info... and all the arguing in the world may not get your plate back...

When I registered my last out of state bike, the DMV looked for the emissions info, but when paperwork is sent in (especially "in bulk" which is what my ex did) things fall through the cracks...

sometimes Sacramento seals the cracks

Hijack - This kinda chatter probably oughta take place in the members only forum......same scenario applies to Tenaja TT thread.....just my .02 - Hijack off

bunwpancakecc1.jpg

The R.I.Q. (that's "Root In Question") may be referring to the fact that Joe Racer Products is currently providing dual sport kits on "non-platable" bikes and licensing by way of "salvaged title". Ergo, if you go to Joe Racer you can get a plate, but you wind-up wiith a "salvaged" bike.

How do I know this, you may ask? I just sold my '03 525 SX (with a "3" in the 8th digit place on the VIN, making it a manufacturer designated "Track Model") to a local guy (who shall remain nameless, but has contributed to this thread :D ) who was all excited because he didn't have to add a h.d. stator to run a headlight, taillight, blinkers, etc. (I had already added it to the bike with the idea of "plating" it). He sent the title off to Joe Racer and as far as I know he's riding it on the street now (well '270? - I'm waiting to see that thing wheelie down North Ave :D ).

Hi jack-off :D : why move to the member's only area? Like dear ol' Dad (may he rest in peace) always said "Robbie, locks just keep the honest people honest..." But then again, whom amongst us has never lied to the DMV about the price of a used vehicle (I learned that one from Dad too) :lol:

Good luck yo!!!

Dad.jpg

Dad.bmp

well the paper work is done ,

it is coming back as a 525 KTM.... on the pink.

some delays.....:

1)Joe is adding a new second shop...

and

2) i went the "OEM" root as fare as the parts kit....the parts got hung up in costumes for a wile.

3) not sure about the "DMV" stuff...???

4) i lie a little...lol

i just got it insured SO...

i should be on North street in the next week or so.... :P

i am tied up right now making a bio-diesel..kit, and brewing it...

... for the record i like the 6 speed , the E-start and the big tank too...

PS. he openly advertises the stuff.. and at my age.....a year is a long time.....:P

hi all a up date:

quote>if you go to Joe Racer you can get a plate, but you wind-up with a "salvaged" bike.< end Quote:

NOT TRUE....!!!

The bike will not have a "salvaged title" ,

i just spoke to the guys....

it will be a KTM 525 I Will get the "pink & plate"..,at the same time...:D

ill report too you all what the pink states....once i get it..!

thanks Gordy

well ladies and gentlemen..... the bike is plated, and the title is NOT salvaged...:D

she's a dual-sport..!

well ladies and gentlemen..... the bike is plated, and the title is NOT salvaged...:o

she's a dual-sport..!

Did you have to take the take up to San Jose?

What was the cost?

Thanks,

Rick

well ladies and gentlemen..... the bike is plated, and the title is NOT salvaged...:o

she's a dual-sport..!

Did you have to take the take up to San Jose?

What was the cost?

Thanks,

Rick

update..:

the bike comes back as a, "new construction "..... Custom Built Bike,..!

just like OC choppers does on there TV show...

titled by them ,.. DMV inspected ,..by them

and blessed by the CHP on the light and horn , rear view..ect..,.. by them..!

with a new Titled Vin #..as a NEW custom build bike ,with the motor #'s on the title....with zero miles. , all by Joe..

the DMV,...has not failed to send out the renewal notice..

the coast for his work and fees (plate reg. and title), and supplying the OEM KTM parts was almost $1,200

.........................................................................................................

now the bike has some electrical problems...

i have been searching the forum for the info but can't find what i need ...??

.... I now have a non related,..." crank won't start " , .with." no spark ",...problem..

and the charging system is not working , ether ..:(

but.,....everything else still works ,.. lol

i think the problems could be the voltage regulator ,

..or the pulse generator..or the CDI..and coil..

but i know the CDI is a bench test only unit...:(

can some one give me a name/ place near el cajon,... of some one that knows KTM's ,to take a look at it for me...?

so i don't have to start thoroughgoing parts at it..@#$%^&*

thanks in advance

update..:

with a new Titled Vin #..as a NEW custom build bike ,with the motor #'s on the title....with zero miles. , all by Joe..

the coast for his work and fees (plate reg. and title), and supplying the OEM KTM parts was almost $1,200

.........................................................................................................

.... I now have a non related,..." crank won't start " , .with." no spark ",...problem..

can some one give me a name/ place near el cajon,... of some one that knows KTM's ,to take a look at it for me...?

thanks in advance

Everything that I have researched about "new construction" or "Specially constructed" says that you MAY REGISTER the vehicle, but it is NOT FOR RESALE. I do not believe Orange county choppers can sell motorcycles using this process.

update..:

thanks in advance

Everything that I have researched about "new construction" or "Specially constructed" says that you MAY REGISTER the vehicle, but it is NOT FOR RESALE. I do not believe Orange county choppers can sell motorcycles using this process.

no im sure OC , would Not try this...:)

but joe did..

the title states

year..: 20## ...KTM plate ##

With ,.....no exc. /mxc ,/ sx...ect... nothing..added

vin# motor....###

vin# frame.....###

i have no idea about Resale ...?

im just going to ride it...:)

Bad/insufficient stator could explain all this- ask Roger how I know this.

If it were me, I'd take it up to BajaDesigns. They've seen it all...

Bad/insufficient stator could explain all this- ask Roger how I know this.

If it were me, I'd take it up to BajaDesigns. They've seen it all...

that's about what i was thinking..

it passed the om meeter test..

i have been reading up on the thing..

im looking at going to a Trail Tec 100 w , full DC system..

so i can have real lights & a radiator fan..

i think/ hope it's also got a 525 EXC stator & flywheel.. now..?

ive just never seen it yet...,

from what ive read , there is a part # size difference....

i guess i have to pull the side cover and take a look see ,..for a part #...to make sure what i have ,..

befor i buy the trail teck stuff...:)

the CDI's and Coil have the same part #'s..

it started life as a SX..,

but it got a 6 speed and e start Battery and some and some good,

" bells & whistles " parts before i got it.

i wonder if the previous owner remembers what he put in it.....lol