Dear SDAR,   Please Plan to attend......

The state is proposing to PROHIBIT any "off trail" use of STATE RESERVES...including Anza Borrego Desert State Park. It's just another step in closing our Public Lands. I

think this will mean NO OPEN CAMPING out there, ETC.  and could also Pave the way to even closing the roads/trails out there....

We need to show up IN NUMBERS GUYS...(and Girls)   and VOICE our OPPOSITION to the continuous closing of Public Rights to PUBLIC LANDS..... Sure this may not limit us to use the ROADS   'NOW', but the next step will be completely closing, making it all "wilderness" etc....It just gives them a foothold to keep  choking our Public Rights to OUR Public lands....

Please Plan to attend......See details below....

TITLE 14. CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION

Off-Trail Use Restrictions for Preserves and Reserves

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) proposes to adopt the regulations described below after considering all comments, objectives, and recommendations regarding the proposed action.

PUBLIC HEARING

DPR has scheduled a public hearing on this proposed action.  The hearing will be held at the San Diego County Operations Center, Hearing Room, 5520 Overland Avenue, San Diego, CA 93123 on June 22, 2016 starting at 6 pm and ending when either testimony has completed or no later than 8 pm. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible.  At the hearing, any person may present statements or arguments orally or in writing relevant to the proposed actions described in the Informative Digest.  DPR requires that persons making oral comments at the hearing also submit a written copy of their testimony at the hearing.  DPR reserves the right to place time limits on speakers if needed to provide an opportunity for all to have a chance to present their information.  DPR staff will be available from 5:30 pm until the hearing commences to answer questions regarding the proposed regulations.

AUTHORITY AND REFERENCE

Public Resources Code Sections 5003 and 5008 authorize DPR to adopt these proposed regulations.  The proposed regulations implement, interpret, and make specific Public Resources Code Sections 5003, 5008, 5019.50, 5019.65, 5019.71, and 5019.74.

INFORMATION DIGEST/POLICY STATEMENT OVERVIEW

This rulemaking action clarifies and makes specific the authority for regulating off-trail use in Natural Preserves, Cultural Preserves, State Cultural Reserves, and State Natural Reserves within the California State Park System.  Specifically the proposed regulations would prohibit all public use in these areas unless such use is on a trail, boardwalk or other designated route of travel, unless approved by DPR. These regulations will make it possible to better protect sensitive natural and cultural resources.

If you questions regarding the proposed regulations or the public hearing, please email Alexandra Stehl at trails@parks.ca.gov or call 916-324-0370.

Copies of the proposed text (the “express terms”) of the regulations, the initial statement of reasons, the modified text of the regulations, if any, and other information upon which the rulemaking is based can be found online at www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=27460.

I will be trying to clear my schedule so I can go. A large turnout would be nice.

Yes, let's do this people, let's show up in force....we should easily have 50 people from SDAR there...THIS IS SO IMPORTANT !!

PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND.

I just received the email yesterday.  Im bummed I'll be out of town. Please everyone show support. 

Im in. Gotta keep places open our children havent seen yet.

Looks like the mail-in / e-mail deadline closed on June 06...

REMINDER  NEXT WED JUNE 22 ....PLEASE show up, bring the family...good PR! i  like the argument  'for our kids'   if you ride and or camp anza borrego ( and if you haven't you NEED to...best riding in our area)  PLEASE make it,  read notice. you can still write comments to turn in and make those comments at this meeting  details in notice (need in writing too i think).....

So the Tribune  and this one spokeperson 'SAYS'????       Big misunderstanding?   I read the text, and it says what it says.....  I'm still going and will voice my opposition..

I don't trust the media and perhaps it's just a ploy to keep people quiet and try to appease the opposition??

but this law will still give the government power to do closures, limit our access, etc to state parks and preserves....

This affects other state parks as well...

If we never stand up, show up, and show we care, they will continue.....and we will continue to loose access....

+1 Deb.  They say they have no intention of enforcing such restrictions, but once they are in place all it takes is a change of heart and we are out of luck. Dont believe the BS show up and keep these restrictions from even happening. 

I have duty on the ship, can't go.  Let us know how it goes.

Certainly didn't want to diminish the importance of attending the meeting. Hope I didn't do that. It is important that we attend. I'm going, and hope a lot of others show up too. Just thought it a good idea that we all go in being as informed as we can be.

Just talked to Ed Stovin of SDORC...he said if you show up to make comments but you didn't submit them in writing, it's as if you weren't even there...so if u want to voice your opinion, please do so in writing first.

Facebook Page of SDORC has example comments to write, you can copy and paste them, but please alter them slightly so each letter is different...it has more affect that way.

I'll copy and paste them here later. 

See you at the meeting !

Here is an example of comments, made by SDORC...you can substitute your name and change the verbage around a bit, to suit your needs and make it so it doesn't sound like the same exact words, but make similar valid points....please do this....

Comments may be submitted by facsimile (FAX) at (916) 324-0301 or by email to trails@parks.ca.gov

These are comments SDORC sent to State Parks regarding the proposed closing of cultural and natural areas.

The San Diego Off-Road Coalition would like to comment on the proposed rules to prohibit public use of all Natural and Cultural Preserves and Reserves. Off-road vehicle users often drive to destinations and many times the destinations are places that have interesting natural and cultural resources. Yes, we stay on the trails with our vehicles, but like to park and walk... around to see the sights. I have personally walked in areas in Anza Borrego Desert State Park that would be made off-limits if this proposed rule were to be enacted. SDORC strongly feels that this proposed rule should not be enacted. There are already rules in place to protect sensitive areas. With this proposal, part of the joy of going outside to see interesting things would be taken away. Please set this action aside and work on putting up signs that warn people not to disturb natural and cultural resources.

San Diego Off-Road Coalition

My comments..........

TITLE 14. CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION:
Off-Trail Use Restrictions for Preserves and Reserves

Public Resources Code Sections 5003 and 5008 authorize DPR to adopt these proposed regulations.  The proposed regulations implement, interpret, and make specific Public Resources Code Sections 5003, 5008, 5019.50, 5019.65, 5019.71, and 5019.74.

I would like to comment on behalf of our Dualsport Motorcycle Club called San Diego Adventure Riders, regarding the proposed rules to prohibit public use of all Natural and Cultural Preserves and Reserves. Off-road vehicle users often drive and/or hike to destinations and many times these are places that have interesting natural and cultural resources. All the people I know in the off-road community stay on the trails with their vehicles but many times we enjoy parking to hike and/or walk to see the sites, especially areas that have history and/or nice scenery. Many of these places are in or near these Natural and Cultural Preserves and Reserves. I have personally walked in areas in Anza Borrego Desert State Park that would be made off-limits if this proposed rule were to be enacted. We strongly feel that this proposed rule should not be enacted. There are already rules in place to protect sensitive areas. With this proposal, part of the joy of visiting these areas to see interesting sites would be taken away.

Please set this action aside and work on putting up signs that warn people not to disturb natural and cultural resources. Please do not enact this proposal so that the public may continue to visit and experience these areas.

Kathy Dice, superintendent of Anza Borrego said in the Union Tribune interview that they don't have problems with these areas in Anza Borrego State Park. I'm sure this is similar to many other areas that would be affected by this rule. If the problem is vandalism and/or destruction of these Reserves and Preserves, the people who would do that will do it anyway, even if this rule is passed. The people who would never disrupt these areas are the ones who will be affected and prevented from visiting these areas, so the good people would lose out in the long run. Please don't allow this to happen, please don't allow the public to lose any more access to public lands.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

The wife and I are heading over to Khan's Cave for dinner and beers prior to the meetng.  Be there about 4:30 if anyone wants to stop by and grab a cold one with us.  See you at the meeting.

http://khanscave.com/
9350 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Ste. F
San Diego, CA 92123

The meeting went well last night.  It was very interesting and amazing to have so many, if not all, the different groups that use our parks show up and AGREE. Everyone expressed their disappointment and opposition to these proposals. No pro comments were made. It was a pretty large crowd with about 8 SDAR members showing.

IMG_20160622_183657982_zps8owywlsd.jpg

IMG_20160622_181011204_zpsn3idvxyb.jpg

Ed Stovin from CORVA

IMG_20160622_195500083_HDR_zpszwwg0guo.j

DSFox - Deb giving them an earful!

IMG_20160622_190846478_TOP_zpsf22sjxfp.j

Way to go Deb! That took some guts to get up in front of all those people.

I thought the meeting was very interesting. As Advbum mentioned, not one word of support for this ridiculous rule. Some people "congratulated" the state park reps for bringing so many groups together on one issue. Sierra Club, Jeep Clubs, Hikers, Off Roaders, etc. all agreed it is a bad idea.

At the 5:30 question and answer session I immediately felt a confrontational attitude from the state parks reps. And I think the commenters fed off of that, and it was reflected in their comments to them.

Anybody have any idea what comes next? More meetings?

We shall see what comes next...all of this we hope WILL affect their decision.

If one is a member of SDORC, they will get info about this as soon as it is available and u will know what's going on with it...a worthy group to support !

Great turnout as Deb and all said, great to see all the different user groups unite and AGREE on something.

I submitted my written comments, and by the time it was my turn to speak at the end, I had nothing really new to say so I skipped my turn to let others speak.

Thanks everyone for showing up !

It was an encouraging night!  as some said, I'm also proud of our community........man, I did get nervous and flustered a bit......(I usually DON'T )....but it was kind of like being in COURT!!!....so I didn't say some things I wanted too,

but all in all, I believe the message of the Public as a whole was LOUD & CLEAR & COMPLETE   and so many people shared AWESOME points.....

Awesome that ALL these groups came together and OVERFLOWED the room and lobby too......thanks to all who came out....hopefully this issue will be put to rest, but lets be ready for the next one, as we know, they are ALWAYS trying to close land.....

Good Job Debbie!!!  Thanks for being the voice for our group and others.  That's not easy at all being up in front of that diverse of a crowd.  Good to see SDAR well represented at the meeting.  I was also astounded by the whole spectrum of outdoor enthusiasts being untied against one adversary.  It should be clear what is to come,...scrap this proposal.  

just found this thread-great work-thanks to all.

FYI a new CORVA Instagram account has been activated-check them out and tag them in your photos and use the hashtags #nomoreclosures #CORVA #corva and any others that fit the message.

Instagram account is @c.o.r.v.a

OK, Here we go again...they change a few words, but this bill is essentially the same:   the State is once again PUSHING to get this blanket regulation in place, giving them the POWER to prohibit ALL off trail use in State Reserves (this includes a large portion of our Anza Borrego Desert State Park and could limit camping 'off trail', which limits out of campground camping out there....they may 'not' close it, but this ruling gives them the future power to do so....

COMMENT PERIOD NOW TIL JAN 18 (I think no coincidence they do this over holiday time, when we are all pre-occupied) and may NOT get involved...

We need to STOP the state from this Blanket Power....on our public lands....see below, PLEASE EMAIL COMMENTS regarding our opposition to More over regulation and possible closures.   THANKS....

TEXT FROM STATE:

Dear Interested Party:

The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) has initiated a second public comment period for the draft California Code of Regulation regarding off-trail restrictions in preserves and reserves within the state park system.  This proposed regulation was included in the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking published on April 8, 2016.  Amendments have been made to the draft regulations based on comments received.  The amended regulation is attached and also available on the DPR website at www.parks.ca.gov/trails.

In summary, amendments were made to proposed Section 4325, Title 14, Chapter 1 to clarify where the regulation will apply and the manner by which the Department will designate areas of Natural Preserves, Cultural Preserves, State Cultural Reserves, or State Natural Reserves open for off trail use. 

Any interested person or their authorized representative may submit written comments relevant to the proposed regulatory action to DPR by email to trails@parks.ca.gov.  Comments may also be submitted by facsimile (FAX) at (916) 324-0301 or by mail to:

Lisa Mangat, Director

California Department of Parks and Recreation

P.O. Box 942896

Sacramento, CA 94296

The comment period closes at 5 pm on Wednesday, January 18, 2017.  DPR will consider only comments received at DPR offices by that time.

Inquiries may be made at trails@parks.ca.gov or by phone at (916) 324-0423.