Mikey777

Educational Vid about Legally Transporting A Firearm

Worth watching to do it the right way.

I see the usefulness of this video, but grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

So many safeguards put in place by anti-2nd Amendment folks that basically render a firearm useless while on the road.

And, regarding thugs, the weapons charge is the first thing that defense attorneys attempt to drop as the enhancement is a doosie; and they're successful most of the time, in my experience.  Whereas the Regular Joe charged with improper carry is hammered. 

Sigh...

21 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

I see the usefulness of this video, but grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

So many safeguards put in place by anti-2nd Amendment folks that basically render a firearm useless while on the road.

And, regarding thugs, the weapons charge is the first thing that defense attorneys attempt to drop as the enhancement is a doosie; and they're successful most of the time, in my experience.  Whereas the Regular Joe charged with improper carry is hammered. 

Sigh...

Keep and bear arms:

1. Keep it locked away, unloaded, inoperable, inaccessible. 

2. Bear. Unlock it in order to lawfully punch holes in paper at an indoor range for $30 per hour.

'Merica.

15 minutes ago, Honda90 said:

Keep and bear arms:

1. Keep it locked away, unloaded, inoperable, inaccessible. 

2. Bear. Unlock it in order to lawfully punch holes in paper at an indoor range for $30 per hour.

'Merica.

Exactly. So sad...

Good info. I thought about this on Sunday. As I was leaving PWG after shooting, two riders were pulling into the range parking lot...I wondered/thought about how they were carrying their weapons/ammo on their bikes...but, maybe they were just renting at the range? I dunno...

During pistol matches at Alpine I usually ride out there.  I have a lock though the action in it's own hard case.  

17 hours ago, downs said:

During pistol matches at Alpine I usually ride out there.  I have a lock though the action in it's own hard case.  

Downs - Where do you carry the hard case? How about the ammo?

18 hours ago, downs said:

Do you lock the hard case?

There's a ton of FUD in that video and in this thread, unfortunately.  I suggest that anyone who wants to exercise their rights under the law actually take the time to read the actual law and understand it.  

Incorrect items in the video:

• Ammo does not need to be stored separately.  You can have loaded magazines in the same container as the locked pistol and you're fine as long as there is nothing loaded in the gun and no magazine is in the receiver.
  • You do not have to make the weapon inoperable.  Inside a case is sufficient as long as there's a lock on the case.
  • A lockable saddlebag is considered a lockable container.  It satisfies the requirement of "fully enclosed and locked by a key lock."
  • You do not have to have it "as far out of reach as possible."  If it's in a locked container, it could be in your lap and you're still legal.  Stupid, but legal.  This also applies to automobiles.  You cannot use a glove box or center console as your lockable container; however, you can store your locked gun case in the glove or center console without issue.

Again, if you took the time to watch that video, take a bit more time to actually educate yourself.  There exists a ton of information on how to properly and legally transport firearms.  There are forums dedicated to california firearms (calguns.net) and entire subforums dedicated to CA law.  There's a lot of misinformation out there (including information coming from LEO's and attorneys) so make sure you actually understand the laws as they relate to you.

Tim

A couple links to get you started if you've read this far:  

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

https://web.archive.org/web/20151109211444/http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, Dress4Less said:

Downs - Where do you carry the hard case? How about the ammo?

Strapped to the Pax seat.  Magazine with ammo in the case and the rest of the ammo I need is in the side cases.  I use a Pelican knock off case from MCM electronics with the foam cut out to hold the pistol w/tlr-1 flashlight, 6 magazines, holster, and two polymer mag pouches.  There's also a cutout in there for a Contour "action cam".

23 hours ago, Yeti said:

Do you lock the hard case?

Yes.  I put a lock though the action as well just because.  I don't trust that someone "inspecting" would know all the rules and would rather look over cautious.  Not that I would give permission for anyone to search my vehicle anyway, and they wouldn't know what was in the hardcase anyway.