StealthDingo

Need a mechanic shop for Kawasaki

3 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Find a hill and try bump starting. If your bike won't turn over with button you can't check spark unless like thumper said has a kicker. If bikes starts up being bumped then you know if has to be starter or electrical going to starter

Tried to bump start it last night on my street 3 times. No success. I could hear the motor turn but it didnt even try to crank over and fire up

1 hour ago, StealthDingo said:

Removed plug, put spark plug wire on it, key "on", hit starter button. No spark with my plug so I swapped with an old one neighbor had in the garage. Same plug just older. Did the same process and no spark with that either. Just ordered 2 CR8EIX NGK plugs for replacement

1. stop throwing money at it .

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Find a hill and try bump starting. If your bike won't turn over with button you can't check spark unless like thumper said has a kicker. If bikes starts up being bumped then you know if has to be starter or electrical going to starter

you can spin the motor with the spark plug out and it will fire-off the spark plug if the bike is on a stand ,turns rear wheeel in gear . better to have an assistant @ this task

EDIT lets first control the starting curcuit like bp was saying 

35 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

1. stop throwing money at it .

you can spin the motor with the spark plug out and it will fire-off the spark plug if the bike is on a stand ,turns rear wheeel in gear . better to have an assistant @ this task

EDIT lets first control the starting curcuit like bp was saying 

I will stop throwing money at it haha. I wanted to replace these small maintenance parts anyways since I bought it used and don't know last time they were checked/replaced.  But now I just want it running again. She has been down a month now and I am getting frustrated.

How do I control the starting circuit?

i understand your frustration , 

jump the starter ..

use jumper cable

Ok, so is the bike turning over or are you just getting a click noise still?   Last part I had read is that it was only clicking.  If it's still not turning over, you won't be getting spark.   Or did I miss something? 

5 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Ok, so is the bike turning over or are you just getting a click noise still?   Last part I had read is that it was only clicking.  If it's still not turning over, you won't be getting spark.   Or did I miss something? 

Same.

Not turning over. No spark. Just the click noise which to me sounds like it is coming from the starter relay. It doesnt even try to turn over. 

Then its starter related stop chasing no sparp. Either relay wiring or starter itself. Should be quick diag if you have multimeter and test circuits following the power. Like 350 said you can jumper relay and starter itself 

I put my ear to the starter when I hit the start button and I can hear it start to wind but then it stops when the click noise is heard. My neighbor has a multimeter I believe. Where should I start testing and what should I be looking for ? 

Sorry for being so clueless. I cant thank you guys enough for the advice

I woulda yanked the starter out by now and bench tested it. 

Or done the Kickstarter 'Mod of the Week'

26 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

I woulda done the Kickstarter 'Mod of the Week'

Oh, do I have a Kickstarter mod for you!

I stopped by to take a look at the bike last night.  Good news is it's not an electrical problem.  I'll let Greg post more if he wants to.  

Sounds either something very basic or catastrophic 

2 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Sounds either something very basic or catastrophic 

It's definitely one of the two.

A dropped valve will have a similiar effect.

anything that holds the engine will prevent the starter from spinning....

if it's operator error I'm gonna drop and roll around laughing.

unless he had low oil level and lost the motor..

bummer.

Yup, Catastrophic sounds about right. Currently looking for a used head. Also looking for the money it will take to get it back up and running haha.

Thanks again Tom, bad news is better than no news. Atleast I have an idea of where to start

I have never seen a camshaft seize up quite like that, starter couldn't turn over the engine and we really had to work to get the exhaust cam separated from the head. From what I have been reading, the KLX300 head is the same so keep an eye out for those as well.  Hit me up when you're ready to get it going again.

My question is....why did that happen?  Journals wear out and oil pressure low, oil pump gone bad?  That used to be pretty common on the old GPZX 600 A Ninjas.

3 hours ago, dirt dame said:

My question is....why did that happen?  Journals wear out and oil pressure low, oil pump gone bad?  That used to be pretty common on the old GPZX 600 A Ninjas.

I'm thinking it was run low on oil.  

Im looking around for either 250 or 300 head. You will be my guy for sure Tom. Ill probably have to sell a few surfboards first though haha. Ill keep ya posted

i guessed it had low oil level as soon as you tried checking for spark with out the motor turning .

its a common mistake for first time bike owners.

the two most important maintenance tips for engine longevity are :

1. check the engine oil 

2. change the oil .

dont let anyone tel you that just replacing the head will solve all your problems (thats like saying all you need is a new battery). A partial seizure like that can bind your other mechanisms  and cause blockage and metal debris all througout the motor. Check filter and galley ways for debri  and con rod clearance at least, you might get lucky. Hopefully the piston didn't have partial seizure.

Tiki motorcycles will be able to get your motor back in shape at an affordable cost.

also you can still sell the bike 'as is' to recoop funds . theres alot of guys that will take that project on if you want to get out from under it .