Sign in to follow this  
Oracle

Is there a way to make this plug work???

I bought a new helmet recently and am installing a new helmet kit in it. The plug that came with the new kit is just different enough that it doesn't work with my Baofeng UV5R. What are my options here????

The bottom plug is the one in my existing helmet set up. The top plug is the new one.

Thanks

20160514_132953.jpg

The top one in the pic is a Kenwood (3 contacts on small plug) type plug.  It should work with the Baofeng UV-5R

The lower one is a Midland (2 contacts on small plug) type. No worky with Baofeng.

Maybe you can find a Midland to Kenwood adapter. Can you exchange it?

The bottom one is the one that works with my Rugged Radio (rebranded Baofeng). The top one does NOT work with my radio. What am I missing here?

Ok, I was just looking at some of the other cables I have for my UV-5R. I have a cloning cable and a programming cable. They both use the Kenwood type (3 contacts on smaller plug).

Just now went out to the garage and looked at the harness from Rugged and it has the Midland type (2 contacts on smaller plug) Hmmm? The harness works on my setup, and the other Kenwood types work well for programing and cloning. so I'm kinda stumped now as well.

I have read that these types of connectors have to seat perfectly. Some of the cheap Chinese connectors have too much plastic over mold and need to have some trimmed so it does seat. They say to trim around the perimeter of the plug so it doesn't interfere with the radio's housing. Take a close look and see if that might be an issue.

Looking at the schematic in the Baofeng manual it kinda looks like either type should work?? the contacts on the smaller plug's shaft look like they are connected they both supply the ground (negative) side of the speaker

I hope you can get this figured out. I'm sure some other guys that are more savvy in this area can help you get it sorted.

As I recall the Kenwood connector has slightly different spacing than the Icom\Midland. If it is a Icom\Midland then the connectors are switched. The 2.5mm is the microphone and the 3.5mm is the speaker. Kenwood\Baufeng is the opposite. Really not sure what you have. I think a call to Rugged is in order. They're very helpful folks.

29 minutes ago, Mikey777 said:

LB....

check this thread

Thanks. I still haven't figured it out. Going have to take my old helmet kit out and install it in the new helmet at this point.