GreenTiger

I'm the new guy!

Hello all, thanks for letting me be a part of this forum!

A little bit about me, I grew up in Ventura County (Camarillo), but my wife grew up down here. I've lived here in San Diego longer than I've ever lived anywhere else, so that makes San Diego my home! I'm in my late 30s (almost 40 hah), and I've been riding for about 6 years, strictly street. I crashed my '05 636 a few months ago. It was only about 30mph, and other than a little wound in my lower leg I was fine, but my bike was totaled out (it's now my track bike). This seemed like a perfect opportunity for getting the adventure bike I've wanted for a long time!

I wanted a new Tiger XCX, but my wife convinced me that maybe a used Tiger was a better choice, so I ended up with a '14 Tiger 800 XC. I wish I had the upgrades in the new model, but I'm loving this bike!

I'm completely a noob at riding a big bike in the dirt. I've only done a little dirt biking even though I own a KX250 as well. I just don't have a truck or trailer to get it to the desert. But I'm very excited about this new venture into riding! I've lurked a little on the forums and saw some noob rides, so hopefully I can get in on one soon.

Question about the noob rides though. I currently have the stock tires, which are obviously street tires even though it claims they're trail. Would I need knobbies for the noob rides that you all go on?

Welcome , nOOb rides normally do not require knobies.

Unless it's one of my nOOb rides which normally require bubble wrap,health insurance, knobs , and alot of dumping the pretty tiger .

Out of kindness to all the guys and gals that ride here, I put on a nOOb ride after every one of my major crashes that gets documented,as shud ALL serious riders, to give back to SDAR and the nOOb community.

I'm hoping Mord puts out a nOOb ride ,and BP, and Tex and Hydro(technically not a crash), Ken did his .

Yeah, I figure the Tiger will get dumped eventually. Obviously I don't want it to happen but I'm realistic in knowing that it'll happen eventually. Maybe I'll just have to borrow my friend's 690 SMC for some tough trail rides haha.

Its not a matter of if, but when..

The day comes. You will want your ducks in order before that day.

-Protective gear

-health insurance

-riding buddies that know how to get you to the hospital

-pain killers

-muscle strength

The big bike ride posted last night would be a good one on the Tiger. Depending on the plans I know nothing about yet :) I may go.

Welcome aboard!

Its not a matter of if, but when..

The day comes. You will want your ducks in order before that day.

-Protective gear

-health insurance

-riding buddies that know how to get you to the hospital

-pain killers

-muscle strength

Yeah, I knew that would happen eventually with the 636, and I know it'll happen with the Tiger too. I always ride with full gear which is what saved me from serious injury in my accident. I may look a little out of place riding some trails with a leather street jacket though until I can get a more appropriate jacket!

Welcome yup jump in on a noob orientated ride or search back at old ones and they normally show routes and start your own.

What are the "trail" tires that came with your bike? I think it would be an advantage for you to have a more dirt oriented tire than a less dirt oriented tire. Even in the gravel, graded roads a street tire can be a handful.

Invariably you will ride your bigger bike in the dirt and either: 1) you crash multiple times and you go away thinking that dirt riding sucks and you won't be back or 2) you crash multiple times and you go away thinking that you ought to get a smaller bike to perfect your crashing routine. haha

By crashing I am not talking catastrophic life changing crashes I am talking about you jam on your front break at 5-10 mph, the front end locks up, the bike goes down, you get some scratches and break a lever or something. I personally have been through 472 crashes of this sort. :-)

Anyway, welcome and have fun on your dirt riding intro!

Enjoy your Tiger, and take it easy with the big bike in the desert.... a lot of bike to handle.

Thanks everyone! I guess I should just start buying spare levers now? Haha. I know my big fat Tiger will get scratched up. My wife doesn't know, but it's always easier to let her know AFTER it happens. I'm not worried about it! I would have liked to go on the big bike ride today but I had an interview so no go. Hopefully soon!

What are the "trail" tires that came with your bike?

Sorry, forgot to answer this. Pirelli Scorpion Trails are on it. I know they're not really trail tires, just curious how they will hold up.

They are ok for basic fire roads like otay mountain and boulder creek if not pushing the limits, so yes and no if those are only trails youll be going on which for first adventure bike and starting out is a good starting point.

Upgrade the PST's to knobbies and you will have a much better offroad experience. I have PST's on my road wheelset and they are fine for that. They are marginal on most dirt roads and trails.

Welcome , nOOb rides normally do not require knobies.

Unless it's one of my nOOb rides which normally require bubble wrap,health insurance, knobs , and alot of dumping the pretty tiger .

Out of kindness to all the guys and gals that ride here, I put on a nOOb ride after every one of my major crashes that gets documented,as shud ALL serious riders, to give back to SDAR and the nOOb community.

I'm hoping Mord puts out a nOOb ride ,and BP, and Tex and Hydro(technically not a crash), Ken did his .

Good call. I remember my first ever ride was your first day back from the Life-Flight-Ride. I crashed my piggy at least 8 times. Kenny was there too. It was his first day back after breaking his foot. I picked you guys to follow around and now my bones are broke. Feels good to earn my stripes.

Will def put on a noob ride when the bones fuse. brraaap.

Welcome yup jump in on a noob orientated ride or search back at old ones and they normally show routes and start your own.

True, my first time out I just announced I was going to "pine valley cul de sac". Didn't even know where it was, but when I got there I was greeted by a multitude of crusty riders who made fun of how clean my bike was.

A broken people's welcome back to riding nOOb ride. I like the sound of that. Welcome to the group.

Welcome to the group, see you on the trail.

Welcome to the group! Noob rides are, by definition, a ride for new riders. Most, if not all, have bypasses for obstacles, mostly graded roads, crusty old farts willing to help/ride/mock/pick you up. On "my" n00b rides, I like to throw some slightly harder options in to keep things interesting...also, on "my" n00b rides, we usually have skilled lead/sweep/midpack riders, usually with communications, so we can assess those that can't sellf-assess themselves. In all the n00b rides I've been on, we have had exactly ONE disgruntled person...and he wasn't even one of the guys that went to the hospital or took a helicopter ride. Not sure if the guy on the BMW was disgruntled...hmmmmmmm...anyway; join a ride; you'll have fun

True, my first time out I just announced I was going to "pine valley cul de sac". Didn't even know where it was, but when I got there I was greeted by a multitude of crusty riders who made fun of how clean my bike was.

What are "crusty riders"