The Morning began with a wet and fragrant drive through Lake Cuyamaca, spring still in full swing. At breakfast we were surprised by a traveller to Bullhead. Temped to spend the day talking and drinking coffee until the bar opened. Inevitably the voice of the Rigga echoed in my head, " Less chatta more get afta ". But you want to see pictures!

i-SbcLnTt-L.jpg

i-KG7T6wR-L.jpg

The inspiration of the day was to head over to Calcite Mine as an excuse to ride. Humid and warm. CID can bring you up to date on why they mined Calcite here. Here is your host!

i-wM2GqFQ-L.jpg

i-rTCttf6-L.jpg

i-TqMwkP7-L.jpg

Heading back south we took a detour east down Palm Wash for a few miles. Over on Truckhaven I could see

coyote tracks; sure enough there he was 40 yards ahead. He made short work climbing a bluff to move on.

But you want to see the pictures, don't you.

The CID and I were making fun and short work of the Cut Across. Near Arroyo Salado the Cut Across is smooth

and banked. Marquez and Rossi rocked and rolled. Marquez in the lead took the inside to protect his lead ( and

keep an eye on on-coming traffic ). Knee and elbow sliding the smooth surface, opps!! I kept a hand on the clutch

and we were off again. The bikes where working and we were humming along.

San Felipe wash - raindrops - black clouds in the distance - keeping an eye on the wash for the rumored flash floods.

The CID said over the radio, he was Not Afraid of the rain. Never the less, we stopped for him to put on his jacket.

Then.... There is was, the light reflecting on the wash like a mirror a couple of hundred yards ahead. The leading edge.

i-Q5bGdC8-L.jpg

i-2xzmVRF-L.jpg

i-7SmTV5v-L.jpg

i-GrtpRg7-L.jpg

Now What? We carefully approached the edge while keeping an eye up-stream. The front edge was slow moving as the sand absorbed foam and water. Once the leading line moved on the pace

of the current sped up. We now were looking for a path west back to the trucks in town. Cross the water to the dry side and hope for the best up-stream. MMmmm. I offered that wet in the dez is quite caustic on the hardware; that and we would be criss crossing the water for certain. Going Back to Butte Pass seemed not enough of a challenge. Butte Slot Canyon ( where we were ) has a soft ugly climb out. In the end we opted for hugging the south edge and scooting around a steep bluff to get to San Felipe Wash road. That also had water from another source, but manageable. A time constraint pushed us onto the pavement and the safety of Borrego Springs. CID said he wasn't scared. I followed him around the inside of that river.

Good Day

i-qd7THDX-L.jpg

i-SbMtRKn-L.jpg

i-jMRcNG7-L.jpg

I spend Monday 2 Wednesday in Ocotillo wells, working and blowing things up. We felt the cold front rolling in on Wednesday.

The Morning began with a wet and fragrant drive through Lake Cuyamaca, spring still in full swing. At breakfast we were surprised by a traveller to Bullhead. Temped to spend the day talking and drinking coffee until the bar opened. Inevitably the voice of the Rigga echoed in my head, " Less chatta more get afta ". But you want to see pictures!

i-KG7T6wR-L.jpg

The inspiration of the day was to head over to Calcite Mine as an excuse to ride. Humid and warm. CID can bring you up to date on why they mined Calcite here. Here is your host!

i-wM2GqFQ-L.jpg

i-rTCttf6-L.jpg

i-TqMwkP7-L.jpg

Heading back south we took a detour east down Palm Wash for a few miles. Over on Truckhaven I could see

coyote tracks; sure enough there he was 40 yards ahead. He made short work climbing a bluff to move on.

But you want to see the pictures, don't you.

The CID and I were making fun and short work of the Cut Across. Near Arroyo Salado the Cut Across is smooth

and banked. Marquez and Rossi rocked and rolled. Marquez in the lead took the inside to protect his lead ( and

keep an eye on on-coming traffic ). Knee and elbow sliding the smooth surface, opps!! I kept a hand on the clutch

and we were off again. The bikes where working and we were humming along.

San Felipe wash - raindrops - black clouds in the distance - keeping an eye on the wash for the rumored flash floods.

The CID said over the radio, he was Not Afraid of the rain. Never the less, we stopped for him to put on his jacket.

Then.... There is was, the light reflecting on the wash like a mirror a couple of hundred yards ahead. The leading edge.

i-Q5bGdC8-L.jpg

I like to witness that one time in my live.

Inevitably the voice of the Rigga echoed in my head, " Less chatta more get afta ".

Yeah, nice to be in the thoughts of some of the "greats"....

- My real voice unfortunately was expressing my desire to be out there with you guys

Thanks for posting the photos and narrative. Epic conditions! Sorry I missed the opportunity but I think my interview will payoff with a great job. With the rains in the mountains and desert in the forecast I was wondering what you guys would be in for. Now I know.

You are very lucky to experience this. I have been so lucky twice, both times long before digital cameras even existed. I REALLY wish I would have ditched work yesterday and joined you guys.

Great ride yesterday with Bags and Crawdaddy even bought us breakfast before heading off to Bullhead.

New tires on the 500 plus wet dirt made for epic traction and riding conditions. Riding in the leading edge of the flash flood was cool.

Maxxis Desert It rear

P1080781_zpsm0x0qlq6.jpg[/u

The Golden Tire Fatty on the front is the bomb. Fixed the twitchiness in the front and the traction is the best I've ever had. I missed my 525 handling until I put this tire on the front now this is the best handling bike I've ever ridden.

P1080783_zpsa9m5zkfd.jpg

Covered in Traction

Ok, second time I've heard about this Golden Tire Fatty...but I can't find a link. WTF?

Someone post a link to purchase one of these

Thank you.

Ok, second time I've heard about this Golden Tire Fatty...but I can't find a link. WTF?

Someone post a link to purchase one of these

http://slavensracing.com/shop/gt-216aa-front-enduro-tires-by-goldentyre/

Thank you.

Try Rider Supplies .com $96.05 and free shipping over $99 so add a small item like grips and get the shipping gratis

P1080783_zpsa9m5zkfd.jpg

Covered in Traction

OK Lets get back to that naked man standing the corner of your garage......?

P1080783_zpsa9m5zkfd.jpg

Covered in Traction

Throwback from my modeling days.

;-)

P1080783_zpsa9m5zkfd.jpg

Covered in Traction

Throwback from my modeling days.

;-)

LOL !!

Is that an IT490? I used to have one of those. Bought it new in 1983. Yikes!!!!

Is that an IT490? I used to have one of those. Bought it new in 1983. Yikes!!!!

Yes ,it's also an 83 490 I bought new. Raced desert and GP's with it. I've semi restored it and it runs great.

CiD