ADV Bum

Bmw f800gs or ?

I am looking at getting a Big(er) adventure bike. I have been looking at the Bmw f800 gs. Any input for or against would be appreciated. Other suggestions welcomed as well as long as it is not buying a new $16000 bike.

Thank you

The F800 is a great motorcycle, the two drawbacks on the bike are suspension, and past 70mph it gets buzzy. I set my bike up with good suspension and it cost me a little over $2,100 to do it right. You can use different companies that would save you about 5-7 hundred on the suspension. I do have to tell you that I love the motor when off road, it does a great job and I get an average of 42mpg.

I have the adventure model because I like the extra gas when I am off roading and do not have to worry about running out of gas, that was the primary reason I bought this model. If you shop around you can find a good used one for about $8000 with low miles and outfitted, Kug has one for sale that you can get for $6500 with the suspension done and it comes with great metal box's.

If you want a done bike then get the 990 KTM but they cost money done right. You will also have to do the suspension on it, but up grade it for around at a shop could set you back $400 to $700

I didn't spend much for suspension upgrades on my 950....nothing for rear, the front forks were a little soft...my friend revalved them for $50 (which is less than any shop)...but I know Suspenders can revalve the front forks also.

Yes - prepped machines, but still a good watch. https://rideapart.com/articles/raiden-team-takes-baja-1000

The '15 on Tiger 800 XCx comes with adjustable WP suspension, cruise control - don't laugh, it's nice to have if your eating some mile - lower engine protection, etc.

Since the '16's are out, including the LOADED XCa (Adventure), the '15's are going off the floor pretty cheap if you can find one. Ted at South Bay Motorsports was great to deal with. NCY has Triumphs.

Not the popular choice, but...............

You can find 2006 950 Adv with some mods for 5-6k

Mike,

If you're looking to test ride, more than welcome to take my 2011 F800 out for a spin. It's set up for a tall rider and you know where I live.

There's also this one, which I think we discussed via PM. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2007-ktm-990-adventure-in-san-diego.1130420/

You could probably get it for $7400 without much effort. Safari tanks alone are $1600+ install, and George did $1300 in suspension. That's $3k right there! It's an awesome bike...yes, I owned it for a bit before I sold it to Mark's buddy in AZ.

There's also this one, which I think we discussed via PM. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2007-ktm-990-adventure-in-san-diego.1130420/

You could probably get it for $7400 without much effort. Safari tanks alone are $1600+ install, and George did $1300 in suspension. That's $3k right there! It's an awesome bike...yes, I owned it for a bit before I sold it to Mark's buddy in AZ.

I am next in line. Someone is looking before me.

You can find good deals on 990's all day long on CL.

Thanks to everyone who shared their first hand experience and suggestions on a big bike. I brought this gem home last night from Lake Havasu. It was a long one day trip, but I thought it was worth it. The owner was getting out of big bikes so there was many extra's and duplicates.

2007 Ktm 990 Adv S - 22,000 odo

IMG_20160331_155421525_zpszvkovfle.jpg

IMG_20160331_155453788_zpskdhklhgh.jpg

The PO expressing his feelings

IMG_20160330_141032921_zps23re6p1f.jpg

On the way home at Ocotillo Airport.

IMG_20160330_185841994_HDR_zpsqtrelx6s.j

Awesome can't wait to see ya out on the trails

Awesome can't wait to see ya out on the trails

Nor can I. I will be doing some fire roads and easier stuff first to feel it out.

Super bling machine!

Yes. The PO and Chief Gunner have a lot in common.

Congrats Mike ! I am sure u will like it, awesome machine.

Congrats Mike ! I am sure u will like it, awesome machine.

First impression- Very tall bike. Bike is big but has that dirt bike feel that I did not get on other big bikes. Tons of power that I have only ridden on the street, but hard to stay out of the throttle.

Congrats Mike, what a nice looking bike, and with a radio on your vest, you will be a true ADVENTURE RIDER from san diego - - congrats on your tech accomplishment too. cheers.