Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

SWM is on the way!

The bullet proof ex-Husky models reborn/re-engineered/repainted/new plastic/BNG etc etc as

SWM brand are coming to our shores

RS500R(DS) and RS650R(DS) only for now

RS500R=TE450/510 RS650R=TE630

Good news because parts availability should still be ok.

http://www.swm-motorcycles.it/

FYI, and sorry there are 2 of these posts.

3/14/16
The US SWM importer is officially........Pete Vetrano........Moto Man...Oak Hills, CA. Pete is spending this week at the factory getting a first hand view and up to date info and news direct from the SWM HQ. A RS500R and a RS650R are ready to ship to the USA as soon as the US-DOT import certificates are in place (now almost 3 weeks late delayed by "red tape"). I will post shared info from Pete as this week goes on. A SWM Motorcycles USA facebook page is up and running. A website is under development and should be up within 60 days. Interested dealers are encouraged to contact us at Pete's current e-address...info@motomandist.com, but please wait until after March 22, 2016 when Pete returns to do so.

First SWM models to be available for sale should arrive in August 2016. cheers.gif

BTW, I guess SWM is officially the surviving Husky cousin brand and we should probably move further SWM discussions to that forum section to be CH forum correct.

not yet for US market. but for sure those things will be wheelying all over the streets of major Italian cities subito.

As reported this past Wednesday in the 3/16 mid-week update at www.motocrossactoctionmag.com the new SWM importer,

Pete Vetrano did not make the trip to the SWM factory on last Monday. In stead he spent 2 days in "expensive care" at a local hospital due to a punctured lung. He was finally released late Wednesday, but he will have surgery before the end of the next week to pin his 2 piece collar bone to the terminal ends. Pete told me that he was headed to Glen Helen today to check in with his racing buddies.

Pete also told me that the RS300R and RS500R test bikes had arrived in Toronto on Friday and would be on the next available flight to LAX. They should arrive in Oak Hills after final customs clearance in the coming week.

Note in the following report that MXA did not mention SWM. They were not sure that it was no longer a secret.

...as per the MXA report........

"Motorcycle parts distributor and former TM, LEM, Vertematti and VOR importer Pete Vetrano was the innocent victim of a runaway bike at the bottom of Glen Helen’s Mt. Saint Helen downhill at the HYR 6-Hours of Glen Helen cross-country race on Sunday, March 13. Vetrano suffered a broke collarbone, shoulder blade, ribs and a concussion. He was scheduled to get on a plane the next morning to fly to Italy to meet with his suppliers—instead, he’s at home wincing in pain. Get well, soon.Motorcycle parts distributor and former TM, LEM, Vertematti and VOR importer Pete Vetrano was the innocent victim of a runaway bike at the bottom of Glen Helen’s Mt. Saint Helen downhill at the HYR 6-Hours of Glen Helen cross-country race on Sunday, March 13. Vetrano suffered a broke collarbone, shoulder blade, ribs and a concussion. He was scheduled to get on a plane the next morning to fly to Italy to meet with his suppliers—instead, he’s at home wincing in pain. Get well, soon"".

direct from the horses mouth.

Pete made the turn at the top of mt st Helens and started the blast down the hill to find a crashed bike in the middle of his line, he hit it and endoed OTB. He is feeling better than as he said "better than I should be feeling". Bikes will be here in SoCal soon (just a small number as little as a couple, maybe more)

Hhhhmmmnnn...electric start only...hhhmmmnnn...

will ride this model tomorrow. not for US yet, 500 and 650 only for the time being. this will be just like 2010 and earlier TE310 Husky (big block 250/310 power plant). the bullet proof engine series.

Looks like the RS300R and RS500R are tomorrows menu.

Cool looking bikes but the 440 models should come with a pair of skinny jeans.

US plan direct from the motoman is for the 650 and 500. Today we rode the RS300R and RS500R, both are very nice machines. For those that have them or have ridden them think the latest of the big block TE310 (2010) and that latest TE510 Huskys for reference. But big plus add the counter balancer shaft that came in the SM models , they are very smooth running.

My 09 TE510 was a great bike except for the vibration which may now not be problem. The close ratio tranny sucked on the street but was nice in the dirt.

OK 3 of us took out the RS300R and RS500R with my ex 08 TXC450 Husky (with CB shaft mod).. the SWMs are very nice looking/to me very Italian.
As for tech straight up they are for the 95% a 2010 TE310 (big block) and the latest of the TE510 series.
They both have very friendly KYB front and rear suspension , forks are same open chamber KYBs that were on my 2011 TE310 black head x-lite which after a full boat Race Tech massage were some of the best forks Ive ever used (for my riding type and skill level). They both have the EU FIM enduro tires Michelins. And by appearances have all the same controls or equal to those Red Huskys in MY10. My preference was the RS300R and I believe with some "cleaning" up she could really perk up, the same can be said about the RS500R which will and should be "cleaned" up to unleash the dogs.....however I should add that as is in full DS trim the RS300R had real sweet higher RPM torque spot that pulled my 215lb carcass up some long and fairly steep loose sandy power robbing hills.
for reference
we should see some photos and a write up on moto.it Pietro was with us and did some foto shoots for the site.
http://www.moto.it/

These bikes will 100% bridge the price gap between the pedestrian Japanese DS machines and the premium brand EU machines (KTM,Husky,Beta), in great package that at that high percent of offroad capable.

Much of the running gear on the SWMs is at the same quality level and even the same brands that come on the premium EU bikes.

Brembo, Magura, Mikuni F.I., Michelin, etc.

My 09 TE510 was a great bike except for the vibration which may now not be problem. The close ratio tranny sucked on the street but was nice in the dirt.

after riding both of these machines without seeing inside or seeing the parts fiche, I will bet $$$ that they both have CB shafts installed, they were both very smooth up into high 4 digit RPMs. My exTXC450 has the CB shaft assy installed for comparison and these new SWMs were every bit as smooth.

We talked about the trans and final gear set up for a more US street friendly final drive. Im sure for buzzing around those little towns and cities in EU its fine,,,but here we are more spread out.

quote from SWM USA

Supermotos are in our plans, but we can only import the models that SWM will have available and that are DOT/EPA/CARB approved. SWM has indicated that the 500 & 650 RS series will be the first available units and they are the ones being submitted for certification at this time. The EPA/CARB stuff is the easiest to complete. The DOT stuff is just plain nuts. As a "new" brand, even with legacy roots, all items on the extensive DOT list has to be approved...including the chassis, suspension components, brake system components, fuel tanks, air boxes, exhaust system components, lights, and anything else you can dream of.......lots of individual certifications. We're working on it and have hired experienced testing professionals to compile the info along with SWM, the EU certification labs, and us to get the job done. No time frame "ETA" is in sight at this time, but it could come together quickly as data is accumulated.

You're following the progress of SWM pretty closely. Are you considering replacing the Katusky for one?

Not yet but for a high quality component EU DS machine at a reasonable price, these things are very appealing.